i used the search bar but none of the other threads helped and i was wondering where i should i have picking hand?

ever since i started playing i have just had it in the air not touching anything at all. but i've been reading about it and it says i should rest it on the bridge but when i do that i tend to accidently mute strings.

so which way should i practice if i want to build the most speed and accuracy?
most speed an and accuracy i would say like you have it, in the air.

you can brace it with your pinky or on the bridge but apparently that makes you slower

..although i have seen john petrucci and paul gilbert do just that, so i guess what ever is comfortable
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
Wow, the rape wagon. The wagon sounds like the best wagon in town
depends on your guitar really, i think its hard to rest on the bridge with fender style guitars, but i rest on the bridge on my tuno-o-matic and its fine .
me to rest my hand by an angel not compeletly
depends how u feel easy
usually if you use wrist you can lay your hand
and if elbow raise it
the ibanez sz bridges are really good for your wrist, they are sunk in so you can lay it out and it doesnt mute the strings unless you really want to

i think theyre called gibralter or something
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
Wow, the rape wagon. The wagon sounds like the best wagon in town
I usually play with my pinky resting on the pickguard, but I've been trying lately to have my hand float, as I hear it lets you have less tension, and thus, better accuracy/speed
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
I usually put my picking hand in my nose, lolololol.

Yea, I just naturally rest mine on the bridge saddles.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
I've heard that it's good to play unanchored... What that really means, I haven't the foggiest, but I know that it's not good to anchor.

X]

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
don't purposely rest it on the guitar or plant your fingers down for "stability" the way you're doing it is good. obviously you need to place your palm against the strings for muting which is fine and your hand will obviously come in contact with the guitar from time to time, its relying on having to have your fingers planted in a spot for better "control/stability" is what is considered anchoring. don't do it, take my word on this. it creates small amounts (or possibly even large amounts) of tension which OVER TIME can possibly lead to damage (carpal tunnel syndrome) keep going like you are and you should be fine. in the long run it will allow you to play with less/no tension and greater accuracy.

edit : to the guy above me, anchoring is when you plant your fingers against some part of the guitar (often the ring and/or pinky) for greater "stability/control"
Quote by somethingcool76
most speed an and accuracy i would say like you have it, in the air.

you can brace it with your pinky or on the bridge but apparently that makes you slower

..although i have seen john petrucci and paul gilbert do just that, so i guess what ever is comfortable

You are right that Petrucci does anchor, but Gilbert does not. And Gilbert>Petrucci for speed, especially when string skipping.
Quote by which ones pink
You are right that Petrucci does anchor, but Gilbert does not. And Gilbert>Petrucci for speed, especially when string skipping.

Not to mention Petrucci gets very tense when he's doing fast licks. It's so bad he has to massage himself. See his instructional video for that
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I rest my hand on the bridge which gives me control. When I get home I think I'm going to try to have my picking hand in the air, which I have never thought of before... Sounds interesting. Anything to make my playing better!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Funny enough i asked the same question to my guitar teacher and he sed the it doesnt matter. As long as u feel comfortable with where your hand is. thts all tht matters. If u just want to change to resting your hand on the bridge, your hand is not as movable and feels different, but its just technique and getting used to.
Quote by Jon Bloor
Funny enough i asked the same question to my guitar teacher and he sed the it doesnt matter. As long as u feel comfortable with where your hand is. thts all tht matters. If u just want to change to resting your hand on the bridge, your hand is not as movable and feels different, but its just technique and getting used to.

I feel very loose when I rest my hand to the bridge, but of course I had to get used to it and practice a lot doing it. Now I feel that there is no better way to place my right hand. What I'm trying to say is that you can get just as movable resting your hand to the bridge as using other techniques. It takes time though.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
To be fair i havn't being using tht technique for very long but i personaly think its a better technique to use for picking. Its is hard to get used to but will do in time.
Well do you want easy speed, or tone control?

I find its easy to play really fast if you use the bridge for comfort, but god I hate that tone. I hate picking close to the bridge since the tone becomes thin. Yet every shredder seems to do that, including 90% of the famous ones. Its easy speed, but I learned from acoustic you can get a sweeter tone, by picking closer to the neck. I shred both ways, but when I want more tone control I go close to the neck, which is a little harder, but worth it.
Quote by nyandres
Well do you want easy speed, or tone control?

I find its easy to play really fast if you use the bridge for comfort, but god I hate that tone. I hate picking close to the bridge since the tone becomes thin. Yet every shredder seems to do that, including 90% of the famous ones. Its easy speed, but I learned from acoustic you can get a sweeter tone, by picking closer to the neck. I shred both ways, but when I want more tone control I go close to the neck, which is a little harder, but worth it.

Also very true.. I love sweeping as close to the neck as possible. That warm, fundamental-heavy tone really suits arpeggios, IMO
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I've always stabilized my hand with my pinky on the pick guard. Now that I've read this though, I'm going to start working on the unanchored method right away.
i have my pinky on the bridge, i think that gives me more accuracy
"Taken For Granted"
I float my hand right above the last frets of the neck for a really thick clear tone. Along the bridge I find the tone sucks for most occasions. But I feel it is important to be able to control the picking tone. Learn to pick in different parts of the guitar, to convey different emotions. Its not just about the notes, but also about tone and dynamics.
Good thread. This brings up a crucial point. There is no such thing as free lunch. You can sacrifice some tone for speed or speed for some tone. There is no one place to pick IMO. Pick angle can also change the tone. Picking motion effects tone too. I prefer to use the terms bright vs. warm. Both have their negative sides to describe them too. Someone used "thin" earlier. Another term is muddy for too much warmth. These options are what makes playing guitar and going after tone so cool. There are so many variables (read options) just in our hands.