I'm looking for a Metallica/Megadeth-ish sound. Right now, I'm running a Tele through a Peavey Classic. Yeah, single's aren't the best for high-gain stuff, but I'll work on saving up for anothe guitar later on.

I was looking at the EHX Metal Muff or maybe a Jekyll & Hyde pedal. How is the distortion on the J&H? If it isn't that worth-while, I was looking at a TS808 modded TS7.

Few questions. To achieve the amount of gain, do I run the OD with the clean or gain channel? Also I hear people "tightening up" (or something or other) their gain with ODs. What exactly does this mean exactly?
I like the Jekyll & Hyde because of it's flexibility. The Jekyll side is supposed to be a pretty decent TS808 clone, although admittedly I haven't had the pleasure of doing a direct comparison.

I haven't used the EHX Metal Muff, but I haven't heard many good things about it. If you have a music store nearby that stocks both, bring in your guitar (and amp if they don't have your model) and try them both out. If they don't allow you to do that, find another store. The GC that I frequent encourages people to bring their own equipment to test things out. Within reason, of course.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
"EHX Metal Muff pedal" Is a distortion pedal so you would run it on a clean channel. OD pedals boost your gain channel. Or can be added to your clean channel for more of a blues tone.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Feb 6, 2008,
Quote by Iceman 420
I'm looking for a Metallica/Megadeth-ish sound. Right now, I'm running a Tele through a Peavey Classic. Yeah, single's aren't the best for high-gain stuff, but I'll work on saving up for anothe guitar later on.

I was looking at the EHX Metal Muff or maybe a Jekyll & Hyde pedal. How is the distortion on the J&H? If it isn't that worth-while, I was looking at a TS808 modded TS7.

Few questions. To achieve the amount of gain, do I run the OD with the clean or gain channel? Also I hear people "tightening up" (or something or other) their gain with ODs. What exactly does this mean exactly?

The J&H is a very nice pedal. The OD sound sounds just like a TS808 and the distortion side is kind of like a modern dist.

Tightening up gain is just making the low end a little less loose sounding.
I'd get an od, yeah maybe an 808^.^, cause a distortion pedal is already slightly thin and with single coils i'm not sure how great it would sound unless you combine it with an od to make it thicker..
tightning up the tone mean to have tone that is really crunchy, that kind of gain, not the fuzzy kinda that gives no crunch. tighter usually mean crunchier, smoother(refering to lead) or more sustain. at least that how i understand it.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by Iceman 420

You don't have to buy another guitar, just put some Seymour Duncan Hot Rail pickups in and your set. They're humbuckers in single coil size .
I was thinking of saving some money and getting a TS7 for $40, and just mod it with the chips going, for like, $5. I know I need the JRC4558D chip, but what else do I need?
you arent gonna get a good metal tone from a peavey classic. been there, done that.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by ~Andrea-Angel~
you arent gonna get a good metal tone from a peavey classic. been there, done that.

Exactly what I was going to say.

It should be able to get older style metal gain levels with an OD, but it will still be toned vintage, and will not sound 'metal'
Quote by angryelephant3
M I Audio Tube Zone

I'm in shock! Somebody else knows who MI Audio is!

As far as getting Metallica. You wouldn't get it through a Classic with an emg-laden esp. You wouldn't get it through a SLO with a Tele. You just don't have the gear for the sound you want to get.
I know it's probably not metal by any means, but there's a clip in my profile which shows the dirtiest the peavey classic can get. Bear in mind, i'm using a strat, but I don't think it could get dirtier than that even if I were using hotter pickups.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Jekyll and Hyde is nice, it pushes my Laney LC50 (which is more vintage voiced than say, a Peavey Windsor, but probably not as much as a classic 30), into some metal teritory when used on top of the onboard dirty channel.

As long as you get some hot rails and don't expect to get into like death metal distortion, you should be good IMO
My Gear:

Schecter Gryphon Ruby Red

Dunlop Original Crybaby
Jekyll and Hyde Ultimate Overdrive

Laney LC50
Vox AD15VT Valvetronix

My Youtube Channel, check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnake77
Quote by xWhitechapelx
Maxon OD-808 as boost works just fine, use it before gain channel, only works on tube amps

Made for a tube overdrive but also can help the gain on your practice solid state amp if ya got one. I use my tube overdrive with my tube amp of course and also use it with my solid state practice amp. Without it my practice amp wouldnt sound nowhere near as metal. Gives me all the gain I need. of course it wont drive the tubes because there are none but you can make it add gain.
Quote by Iceman 420

You run it with the clean channel...if you run the pedal through the gain channel it stacks distortion with it, usually creating immense static or scratchy noises that sound horrid.

Out of your suggestions, I would take the Jekyll & Hyde...I've found that Boss Metal Zone pedals have really awesome classic 80s thrash metal tones though. Your call.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
boss metal zone and DOD death metal are the only distortion pedals I've owned, before i thankfully switched over to tube amps with better sounding, heavier preamp gain. I was using a SS fender 60 combo... cant even remember the name, and I don't know if it was just the amp or what, but the DOD sounded better on it.