i'm probably auditioning for a starting out metal band on guitar with a singer/bass/drummer already in it this weekend. What would be some good things to have prepared before I go/how could i look good?
**** that just make sure you know what you are doing on your instrument and dress how the **** you dress
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
Quote by vamprocker
**** that just make sure you know what you are doing on your instrument and dress how the **** you dress

Looks dont really matter. +1

Just play something that you know really well. 8/10 the band should like you if you're playing is good. If not, then maybe it isnt the band for you.
yea, just dress how you want and play whatever you like too

if they don't like what you play, and care about the way that you dress then leave
uhh i think you guys misunderstood haha, I wasn't referring to my appearance, more like how could my playing "look good"
Energy man..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
All auditions are different...personnally I think most of them are lame because they make it like they are hot s**t....If its more like a jam session kind of thing play some songs and see if you are in the pocket, but if they are just watching you play something show off your own personal chops, but most of the cool auditions that i went to, i learned a cover and just got a feel for the band. Do they have any songs they want you to learn?
nah there like just literally starting this week. my friend and guitarist in my other band is coming too so we might just play some stuff from our other band. we jam pretty well together
You should try and find out some of their fav bands and learn how to play a couple of the bands biggest songs just to be able to jam with them.
don't smell funky. people dont like that.

but seriosly read the guy above me.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Looks dont really matter.

Looks affect how other people think of you, which affects how they act towards you, which is incredibly important.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
A good mental frame to go there with is that YOU'RE auditioning THEM. If they aren't up to your standards then you don't have to join their band. Thinking of the whole situation this way will make you much more comfortable with how you're playing and the whole situation in general. It'll make you seem like much more of a calm person as well, someone who they'd want to hang out with and could get along with easily.

Just don't take it too far and think you're the boss of the world, telling them they suck and kicking them out before you're even in! That's not what I'm talking about
thanks guys, the first night went good, went back a few days later, and now tomorrow im going back to seal the deal (im 99% in at this point)
Quote by jakescape
uhh i think you guys misunderstood haha, I wasn't referring to my appearance, more like how could my playing "look good"

+1000

i once went to an audition and the guys in it were like "whoa dude pretty sweet, so you gona come decked out in your metal duds next time for actual practice?" and i said "um.... dude, this is what i wear, i dont have metal duds" (i was in khakis and a button up shirt, thats how i normally dress. it fools the common folk) needless to say they didnt call back (no loss there they were seriously rotten) and i was quite glad they didn't call back (for numerous reasons, they sounded awful, everyone was playing in different keys, the amps were up too loud, the singer couldn't sing. but on top of everything my "image" didnt fit what they were looking for so screw them)
Quote by Les Paul Ell
A good mental frame to go there with is that YOU'RE auditioning THEM. It'll make you seem like much more of a calm person as well, someone who they'd want to hang out with and could get along with easily.

Just don't take it too far and think you're the boss of the world, telling them they suck and kicking them out before you're even in! :

110% legit advice for any type of audition, interview, etc. It also shows that you're a motivated professional considering your own best interest. Carry this attitude without being cocky and you're over halfway to getting any job, gig, etc.

Quote by z4twenny
+1000

ii said "um.... dude, this is what i wear, i dont have metal duds" (i was in khakis and a button up shirt, thats how i normally dress. it fools the common folk) )

I thought I was the only one who dressed kind of like a yuppy because in today's hot topic world, it is the true clothing of couter culture
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Feb 15, 2008,
^ hah!! no way. i seriously blow folks away JUST cuz i pick up a guitar and they expect ben folds five or some pop/rock stuff and then i bust out with some serious thrashage and jaws hit the floor. i find it incredibly humorous (the whole 'judge a book by its cover' thing) my coworkers even commented that i don't look anything at all like someone who could tear it up (noted to me when i first brought my acoustic in and just ran mad solos all over it)
twenny, i found you experience really funny.

They were all like ''WTF? How can he shredzorz without br00tal clothez!!!''

@jakescape

What is the genre of the band you are auditioning for?

If they play some alt rock, shredding might be a bad thing to do...
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.