I did a quick search and found nothing, but basically i thought i was pretty good at guitar but now i've been around really good people playing and they all talk about jamming. Nothing tells me how on the interweb and its really confusing. I know you gotta go in a key but then what??
You just...jam...There isn't a real right way I guess....Or I'm just ignorant of it...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
well a basic way is to have either the drummer or the bassist start with something simple in a key (or even not--if its a jam who cares?) then everybody comes in.
"it is better to be a part of beauty
for one instant and then to cease
to exist than to exist forever
and never be part of beauty"
-Don Marquis

Quote by nebraskan
People who are racist are probably the most ignorant alive.

A serious sig? WHATTT?
good question my friend. see jamming is quite simple. there are two types of jamming.

1. they (people your with) may request you learn a song or two by various bands/artists to play along with. and at time even make up a riff/line to an already existing song to add some additional flare to it.

2. free jamming - that is basically what you sound confused about. free jamming is most commonly used with blues and jazz because they are more freely structured styles of music, tho it can be done with pretty much all genres.

the important thing SHOULD be to know your key, but some people only use power chords which doesn't always apply to a key signature. but the whole idea is to base your guitar or bass riff off the key sig. or if it's power chords you build your guitar/bass riff off of the power chords. the trick is to not stick to do exactly as your peers and add an individual flare to the mix.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
you pretty much just play whatever your heart wants. If you've ever been in band, then it's like Improv. (improvisation). But all in all play in a key, and then you can also decide when you want to change keys and so on and so forth.
Quote by coolbassplyr09
you pretty much just play whatever your heart wants. If you've ever been in band, then it's like Improv. (improvisation). But all in all play in a key, and then you can also decide when you want to change keys and so on and so forth.

Most of the time when i play what my heart wants it sounds like poop
Ha ha. Sometimes my heart is poopy too. If you have a grasp on scales jamming is pretty easy (and FUN). If you and i were jamming and i was playing a blues progression in the key of A, you could add in your little licks and solos using the A scales and we would be amazing. It really is that simple as that applies to any key. And guess what, if you don't play exactly in the scale, it still sounds freakin sweet. Try it out my friend, you will like it.
If you can't feel the music it isn't real.
Another good way to get your riffs flowing is to get an idea what the other people are playing and make your own version of it then that can slowly morph into your own original stuff....If you have a drummer I would recommend paying close attention to him for the tempo and you can base riffs off the drum part if needed....You should pay close attention to everyone else as well though...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
dude just choose a key and play notes from scales in that key
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

We raise the Vibratory so high
That all untruth will fall of its own dead weight