I have this problem. I jam a lot with other musicians consisting of a pretty good bassist and an ...... ok drummer. It seems that I can't solo with them though! When I play with my guitar teacher for instance, I just feel the music. I feel like I am really improvising what I am envisioning in my head. My rhythm is better, I emphasize more chord tones, and my overall phrasing is great when I play with him. However, when I play with the bassist and drummer I just sound like ****. What could be the problem? I was maybe thinking that if there was a rhythm guitar player, it would be better but I dunno, has anyone had this problem?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Kind of like me. I can play way better when I'm just playing in my room than with my band. It'll probably just take some time of getting used to the people so your comfortable playing around them and can feel the solos coming. Maybe that's why, maybe not.
"Waltz it up! The pit is it!"
I feel the opposite way. I think some of the best stuff I ever play is at live gigs and when I'm jamming. Its because the music is so loud I really get into it and feel it as opposed to if I'm just sitting in my room playing quietly.

But it definitely does take a while to get used to playing with certain people. With my band I just play whatever the hell I feel like... but with other people I'm not used to I'm more self conscious about my playing and hold back, get more nervous and mess up more often.

I guess you just have to get used to playing with them.
It will take a while getting used to them and NOT having a guitarist to back you up. Just hang out with them a lot of really get to know them, and just practice jamming with them a ton. It will help, you just gotta get warmed up to them for the most part, but I bet a second guitarist would help out a ton.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
It will take a while getting used to them and NOT having a guitarist to back you up. Just hang out with them a lot of really get to know them, and just practice jamming with them a ton. It will help, you just gotta get warmed up to them for the most part, but I bet a second guitarist would help out a ton.

Agreed. Second guitarist or a loop station will make it sound better.