I'm sorry for making more new amp threads, but this is definitely my last one.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards the laney at the moment. I play mainly play classic/hard rock (Zeppelin,Hendrix,GNR,Nirvana) but I also like to dabble in blues and metal. The two amps cost the exact same.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by Black__Dog at Feb 6, 2008,
I have a Valveking and like it, its pretty verasatile and can do pretty much anything. Check out my profile for clips. Dont know to much about the Laney, i've heard there really good amps thats about it....
i would say the valveking. depends if your a gigging musician tho.

if your gigging the valveking wins.

if your just practicing at home the laney wins but has the option of being gigged with and mic'd.

i dont think the laney would do very good for metal tho. a valveking with a good cab, a overdrive pedal and an EQ pedal would do the brutalest metal comparable to many high end metal amps. the valveking is great for blues too and light gain.

the only problem with the valveking is the reliability and the fact its cheaply made and bound to fall apart sometime. just depends on what your doing.
The Laney VC-15 amplifiers are a great mid gain amplifier. They have a pretty awesome clean channel and a wicked overdrive channel. The amp will need to be boosted or EQed if you want to dabble into metal. The Valveking is kind of like a jack of all trades in this situation. It can do everything, yet it doesn't really have anything it's great at. Except, of course, when you boost it and get teh brutalz tone that's kind of reminiscent of a certain block number amplifier.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well, i own the VC15 and I've tried the valve king. They're totally different amps and are hard to compare, but for overall better tone for classic rock, I'd go for the VC15. As long as you don't play any metal because that's what the valve king is best at.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The Laney VC-15 amplifiers are a great mid gain amplifier. They have a pretty awesome clean channel and a wicked overdrive channel. The amp will need to be boosted or EQed if you want to dabble into metal. The Valveking is kind of like a jack of all trades in this situation. It can do everything, yet it doesn't really have anything it's great at. (Except, of course, when you boost it and get teh brutalz tone that's kind of reminiscent of a certain block number amplifier.)

+1 (apart from the bit in brackets as i haven't tried the VK with a boost- haven't tried the laney with a boost either).

they're quite different tones too...the laney is very british-voiced (think vox ac30, but not quite the same), while the VK is more american-voiced (think fender cleans, more modern overdrive).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't really play much metal. The heaviest stuff that I play would be Nirvana and Guns N' Roses. I play 60s/70s rock the most though.
Give the Laney LC15 a looksee.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by Black__Dog
I don't really play much metal. The heaviest stuff that I play would be Nirvana and Guns N' Roses. I play 60s/70s rock the most though.

not sure about nirvana, but the vc15 should do g n r. other than the solos, gnr is quite a classic british tone. booster should take care of the solos, i think anyway. they're still a pretty classic tone, just more gain.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
not sure about nirvana, but the vc15 should do g n r. other than the solos, gnr is quite a classic british tone. booster should take care of the solos, i think anyway. they're still a pretty classic tone, just more gain.

Spot on. I can nail slash's tone and with my OCD boosting i can nail his lead tone as well.
Thanks guys. What distortion pedal would you recommend to go with it? I was thinking about the Boss Ds1. It seems like good value.
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Defiantly an OD pedal to boost the OD that you already have.

Recommendations?
Defiantly the Digitech Bad Monkey. Analogue OD pedal, sounds decent with the VC15 and is about the same price as a DS-1 but will sound a lot better.