Basically I'm broke. I can't afford a good tube amp... so I thought it'd be fun to build one. I have some decent knowledge of electronics (I built a 27,000 volt electrohydrodynamic thruster for a science project ) but I haven't found instructions to build anything more than about 4 watts.

It'd be nice to have an amp I can use for practice and small gigs.. is it even reasonable to think I can build a 30-watt tube amp? Or am I just crazy?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
try searching for amp schematics. I know for a fact there's a website with every silvertone tube amp schematic ever made.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Thanks a ton! Now I just have to find the components...

EDIT: actually, the site with the Mesa schematics says that they won't work for replicating an amp. Is that true, or is the site legally supposed to say that?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last edited by stradivari310 at Feb 6, 2008,
try googling garnet amps..these were made here by gar gillies and he wrote a book called the whys and wherefores of amplifiers.....i am not 100 %on the title.....he made some really good amps back in the day and everyone and their dog here used them....from what ive heard the book is supposed to be a good source for neophyte amp builders....
Quote by s.r.v.
what amp do you want...i probably have a schematic for it

I just gotta ask now.... Where in the world did you come acrossed all them schematics?

i have my sources...

do you need one?
mostly schematicheaven and freeinfosociety, and some other one i forget the name of
haha just type in "Fender Bassman Schematic" on google u get to freeinfosociety site.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Well, I've just been looking around, because I'm thinking of throwing together a battery powered tube amp.

considering I have a bunch of parts laying around, all i seem to be missing out of most of the schematics is the tubes lol. So it'd be cheap for me to do.
Lol, that's why i was just basically tossing the idea's around in my head, because I heard battery powered + tubes = not so great sounding.
Quote by WickedBeast666
Lol, that's why i was just basically tossing the idea's around in my head, because I heard battery powered + tubes = not so great sounding.

Only because it doesn't meet correct power requirements in most cases
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
OooOooO OooOooO You asked the question of what's the biggist tube amp you can build..

Well I just came acrossed this, it's not the biggest "crate has that 800W tube amp"
but it's still massive
Dogzilla! 200W tube amp!
^That thing is an unholy monster and I want it.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Losenger
You could use batteries to power an inverter that would power a more classic circuit. There exist some tubes that are designed to be used with lower voltages: http://www.duntemann.com/12vtubes/12vtubesindex.htm

You might of just resurrected my dream. I should make my own thread, for my project. That way I stop hijacking this UGer's thread lol.
check out these sites for all tube amp building.
18watt.com
PPwatt.com
SEwatt.com
45watt.com

amp kits -
ceriatone.com
gdsamps.com
trinityamps.com

these are all great sites to get a start from. some have layouts and schematics free to download.

I'm in the process of building a 18watt amp myself.
Hah.. the disclaimers on 45watt.com scared me a bit. I'll definitely check into this stuff though. I'd build the 18 watt myself, but it'd be really cool to have an amp that I can gig with, so I need at least 30 watts.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Cofflecakes
Only because it doesn't meet correct power requirements in most cases

i wonder if a rechargeable battery like in a dewalt 18 v power drill could be used to power a small amp.....the flashlight that comes with most kits could be sacrificed to provide a socket for the battery and im sure way could be found to match voltages........we use these batteries to drive screws into hard wood all day on one charge and would probably outlast the current designs out there.....or do tubes have to run on 110vac..........i think even so, solid state practice amps and the like could benefit from the extra juice
Quote by stradivari310
Hah.. the disclaimers on 45watt.com scared me a bit. I'll definitely check into this stuff though. I'd build the 18 watt myself, but it'd be really cool to have an amp that I can gig with, so I need at least 30 watts.

in all honesty you can gig with an 18watter. those things are plenty loud. a 30 watt is maybe a decible or two louder but really just provides more headroom thats really all. most gigs should mic'd anyway so you really wouldnt have to worry, but if you don't have it mic'd this amp would surely cut through the mix.
Is it just me, or does the TS think you can build a decent sized tube amp for next to nothing? The cost of building an amp would likely be more than what it would cost to just go out and find a used tube amp that fits your needs.

I highly doubt if you could easily fit all of the expenditures into a budget of under $200 given you have all the necessary tools but no materials. You gotta buy the chassis, transformers, potentially chokes, large electrolytic caps, other caps, resistors and pots, tubes, sockets, switches, wire, some type of component board, misc. other crap, and a cabinet.

And even after all of the expensive parts, the amp isn't guaranteed to work to your liking.

So if money is tight, building an amp probably won't be the most economical choice. A Chinese factory worker can always do it cheaper, and in some rare cases, better than an inexperienced or partially experienced DIYer.
www.ax84.com is a great site. Ive also posted a thread about my valve amp build. feel free the PM for tips or help.

BTW mine cost me £230 as complete head, not including all the tools, it sounds awsome!

As for wattage, the difference between 10 and 30 watts almost impossible to tell. You have to multiply a wattage by 10, to double the volume. Mine is a 25Watter, and its more than enough. I built an attenuator with a month, cus it was too loud!

Put it this way, if theres a venue that need more than 25W valve power, then you'll be mic'ed through a PA!

As for price, yes you could go out and buy a crappy one for less, but for £230, you can pretty much build any type of simple single channel amp you can think of. A decent original JCM 800 costs well into the thousands, mine cost me £230. your choice!
MIM Tele
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall ED-1 Compressor
Morley Power Wah
Boutique booster
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Electro Harmonix #1 echo
THE BEAST (head)
Line 6 Spider II head
D130F
Greenbacks
Last edited by blub man at Feb 9, 2008,
Quote by WickedBeast666
OooOooO OooOooO You asked the question of what's the biggist tube amp you can build..

Well I just came acrossed this, it's not the biggest "crate has that 800W tube amp"
but it's still massive
Dogzilla! 200W tube amp!

I want

House demolition by sound, anyone?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--