In a little guitar shop in my area, I found (what I thought to be) an Elitist Les Paul for 700 bucks -- brand new, although it was showroom stock.

Needless to say, I bought it on the spot.

After getting home though, I noticed a few things that made me wonder what I had bought: Instead of Elitist on the truss rod cover, it says, "Gibson." And instead of "Epiphone Elitist" in the little design on the back of the top of the neck, it says, "Epiphone Elite."

Everything else though is identical to any Elitist Les Paul I'd ever seen---it came with all the Epiphone Elite Series tags/brochures and it was stamped with the telltale, "Made in Japan" sticker.

Does anyone know what I bought...?
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
pics would help if that's possible
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
The Elitist Les Pauls that are currently being made (and previously, to my knowledge) have Gibson on the truss rod cover...
It seems like its the same thing.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
it just depends what year it's made in
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Pictures:

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
i'm 99% sure that's an authentic epiphone elitist, congrats on an excellent score man, you got a good price for that
I'm reasonably sure that the truss rod cover is wrong. Not a reason to panic. The workmanship and quality of the guitar appears to be high. Occasionally Japanese factories have been known to use whatever parts were available at the time, so the truss rod cover isn't telltale of a fake in this case. I'd be interested in what you find out later on after you research it a little.
Edit: I just did a search on UG and found pictures of a Japanese Epiphone SG with a Gibson truss-rod cover, so I think you have the genuine article. Good score, enjoy.
Last edited by uldhppi at Feb 6, 2008,
No, you have the correct guitar. The truss rod covers on Elitists say Gibson and on the back of the headstock it says elite. You got the real thing.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by uldhppi
I'm reasonably sure that the truss rod cover is wrong. Not a reason to panic. The workmanship and quality of the guitar appears to be high. Occasionally Japanese factories have been known to use whatever parts were available at the time, so the truss rod cover isn't telltale of a fake in this case. I'd be interested in what you find out later on after you research it a little.
Edit: I just did a search on UG and found pictures of a Japanese Epiphone SG with a Gibson truss-rod cover, so I think you have the genuine article. Good score, enjoy.

Seriously, the Gibson truss rod cover is SUPPOSED to be there.

Check the Epiphone website, look at the pics of the Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus.

Besides, most Gibsons don't have Gibson written on the trussrod cover, they have the model i.e 'Standard', 'Studio' or 'Custom' etc.
Thanks for the help, guys. It plays like a dream, so I wasn't ever really "worried" about it being genuine, but it's just nice to know what exactly I bought.

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
that thing is beautiful
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The series was introduced as "Elite" several years ago and the name was changed to "Elitist" for no apparent reason two or three years ago IIRC. I was considering the purchase of one a while back and was equally confused...then I called Gibson and they cleared it up.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by FourSticks17
Pictures:

That's a beautiful guitar. Congrats!

I'm just curious about the headstock. If you check the posted pics of the Japanese Epi Elites of staticoverdab (sp?), slash, ippon, and some others it also says Elite in the back except the headstock is shaped like Gibson's. I bought an Alpine White LP with Gold hardware from forum member slash and the manuals and tags were in Japanese.

So now I'm curious if there are 2 versions of Japanese Epis. I'll PM ippon to check if his Japan Epis came with Japanese manuals.