Hi. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, yes yes, I know. Skip the making fun part.

I just acquired a free 5.1 Creative speaker system from a co-worker, but it only comes out of the two fron speaker and the sub woof. Not the two rears or the center.

How would I fix this? Is there something I can download to make my sound system 5.1 or a plug-in or something? Or how can I figure it out on my computer, what I am compatible with? I am running Windows Vista.

Thanks for any help.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Control Panel > Sounds, Speech and Audio > Sounds and Audio Devices > Under Speaker Settings click Advanced > Pull down the menu and change to 5.1
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
That doesn't work. I don't know how I get to that screen. i'm running Vista, and it's not the same to get there.

It could be that my Laptop doesn't support 5.1?

Quote by RadioHead22
Hi. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, yes yes, I know. Skip the making fun part.

I just acquired a free 5.1 Creative speaker system from a co-worker, but it only comes out of the two fron speaker and the sub woof. Not the two rears or the center.

How would I fix this? Is there something I can download to make my sound system 5.1 or a plug-in or something? Or how can I figure it out on my computer, what I am compatible with? I am running Windows Vista.

Thanks for any help.

are all the conenctiosn properly connected does yoru computer support 5.1 if not you need to bu yan audiointerface for 5.1
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
I'm not sure if my laptop supports 5.1. Is an audiointerface an actual piece of hardware, or is it something I could download?

Quote by RadioHead22
The little slot?

I have an SD/SDIO/MMC slot, and then a slot for my wireless card. At least I believe that's what it is.

How much would a USB one be?

Quote by RadioHead22
this is what i meant by audio interface
this is an external sound card for your laptop.
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=206&product=10702

or you could get a slot one for the side of your laptop
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=205&product=10769

usually the color tells you for what input or output is it for like this picture

my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Last edited by stefan1988 at Feb 6, 2008,
Ah. I see. Thank you very much for your help, stefan1988; it is greatly appreciated.

(P.S. I somehow got it to play in 3.1 sound by unplugging the center/sub thing, but I don't know how either way, still cool)

Thanks again.

Quote by RadioHead22
Ah. I see. Thank you very much for your help, stefan1988; it is greatly appreciated.

(P.S. I somehow got it to play in 3.1 sound by unplugging the center/sub thing, but I don't know how either way, still cool)

Thanks again.

if you are specific i be able to help you more but right now i have no idea how you have it set it up

for example i have 5.1 and is center left and right and rear lef and rear right and subwoofer
then those speakers go into the subwoofer and 3 lil plug come out of it a black one a green one and a silver one. those will go in the audiocard in that way like on the pictures

most laptops just come with stock audio cards and is basically pink connector and green one with that you can't connect 5.1 speakers you could plug in the green one and just get left and right speakrs working though

one question i have is how many cables you have coming out of the speakers that go into the videocard how many of the little inputs that go behind the audio card just one or three?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
I know for a fact that my laptop does not support 5.1.

I have a center, front right/left and rear right/left input in the back of the sub woofer. I have an Aux. out output, and a threeway output (Aux (green), center/sub (Orange), rear (Black)). I currently have ,speakers plugged into the center, front right and front left inputs. I have the rear and aux inputs plugged in on the threeway, and just the green aux plugged into my stock laptop sound card. I only have one. Three speakers work, as well as the sub.

Quote by RadioHead22
yeah man. definitely just get the soundcard it be way easier for you to set it up
and is worth it listening to music on 5.1 is kick ass
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Alrighty. I shall look into it. But for now, I shall enjoy my 3.1

Thanks again.