Hey guys.

I'm thinking about starting a solo musician project. I've been playing electric guitar for about 3 years now, and am thinking about getting a hold of an acoustic guitar and once I get my barings on it start writing some original material and then upload it onto MySpace or something, and maybe play some gigs here and there.

I'm also thinking about getting a keyboard and/or drum machine to add some more layers onto it and make the music a bit more diverse and exciting. Obviously I wouldn't be able to play the keyboard and guitar at a live performance, so I'd probably just play a pre-recorded keyboard track over my playing of the guitar.

I wanted to know what you guys thought about this, and what equipment you'd recommend I buy as regards to acoustic guitar, drum machine, keyboard, and recording equipment. I don't want anything top of the range right now, just something to get the job done.

I'm thinking along the lines of Kate Nash, Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly., Kevin Devine, Lilly Allen, Lightspeed Champion, and others like that.

Any help/tips/hints/advice would be greatly appreciated.
And sorry for the essay of a post.
Thanks!

Zach xx
for a nice, and well within budget range mixer, i suggest the behringer xenyx 802. mine set me back about $90 cdn, but its very nice. as for acoustics, id recommend either alvarez or takamine. not sure on prices though, but they are nice.
good luck with the project
the mixer is in the process of the recording. just take a decent mic, plug it into the mixer, and from there, output to your computer. it'll give you a chance to tweak and clean up the tone a bit. ive never used 4-tracks or items like those myself, so i can't say whether its better for you or not.
If you got a **** load of money you can buy a Fantom x8. It's got evrything you need but it's 3 grand.
With an irresistible blend of reggae induced hip-hop and catchy pop-punk hooks, Half Chance Heroes captivates audiences with their unique sound and energetic stage show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8bSU0u8uvM
Nahh, I can't afford anything of that scale, haha.
I earn like £200 a month, and with that I have to pay for food and to have a decent social life too.
So I'm just looking for cheap things that do the job at the moment.
There's no reason to get an acoustic unless you really want the sound. If you're more comfortable on electric, there's nothing wrong with playing that as a solo musician. As far as recording, a cheap mixer with a decent mic running line in to your computer with some illegally downloaded software is an awesome idea. That's how I started off, and still do, most of my recordings (except my software is legal now). Also, don't play the keys or drums onstage when you play live. That will give you two distinct sounds- the stripped down live and in your face sound of just you on guitar, and the polished, deep layered sound that people can listen to on your myspace. And for a keyboard, just get some cheap yamaha or casio thing at some major chain retail store. They're like $100 USD, which is pretty cheap for a keyboard. Most keyboards even have simple drum patterns built in nowadays. Good luck!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a cheap keyboard from Argos for about £50 (equivalent to about $100 USD) and that has built in drum patterns and other effects on it.

Any suggestions on microphones and mixers/recorders? I don't want anything amazing, just something to start off with and that people can actually tell what I'm playing with it. That's the main thing I'm stuck on right now.

Also, how would I connect the mixer to my computer? Sorry for all these stupid questions guys.
Quote by Haunted_Devil
Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a cheap keyboard from Argos for about £50 (equivalent to about $100 USD) and that has built in drum patterns and other effects on it.

Any suggestions on microphones and mixers/recorders? I don't want anything amazing, just something to start off with and that people can actually tell what I'm playing with it. That's the main thing I'm stuck on right now.

Also, how would I connect the mixer to my computer? Sorry for all these stupid questions guys.

Some probably just go right in through the audio jack... but I'd recommend getting a USB one for better quality and less tonal loss
I'd find yourself a laid back drummer and keyboard player who are composed enough to read notation on demand. That way you'd sound more organic and I personally feel you'd be more confident with other musicians surrounding you instead of drum boxes and backing tracks.
Quote by Tomaz24
I'd find yourself a laid back drummer and keyboard player who are composed enough to read notation on demand. That way you'd sound more organic and I personally feel you'd be more confident with other musicians surrounding you instead of drum boxes and backing tracks.

Is this for when I perform my songs live?
hey
i'm actually thinking of doing something similar
sounds like it will be pretty cool, get cape are awesome

what will the mixer be used for? just to EQ the sound to eliminate any unwanted noise before it goes into the computer? or purely to get the right tone? i always thought you do that at the end

it would be interesting to talk to you abit about it add us to msn. danny_edwards@hotmail.co.uk
btw, are any drum machines you can get from software any good? eg fruity loops, battery.

or are drum machines better when purchased as an instrument
Try the drum machine software called Acoustica Beatcraft. I've been using it for my "solo" stuff for a year and a bit now and it's really handy. Get the demo first, that's got all the features anyway.
Acoustica Beatcraft seems pretty good. simple and easy to use, but does everything you want it to

looks like the demo version will be sufficient aswell for when u are getting going
Well, I was thinking about Fruity Loops. It's fairly simple, and I can transfer the files easily to Cubase for further editting and addition for other tracks.

By the way, how do I link my guitar to my computer for recording? Or will I have to record it via a microphone of some sort?
Definately use a mic for recording guitar. For that get an AKG Perception mic. There are three, ranging between $150 and $300 USD, and they're REALLY great condenser mics for the price.

Magicedit: I've used mine for vocals, acoustic guitars, drums, and range mic'ing guitars, all with usable results.
Quote by dannyyy
btw, are any drum machines you can get from software any good? eg fruity loops, battery.

or are drum machines better when purchased as an instrument

ezdrummer, best sounding software there is hands down (i've tried a TON of drum software) i use it for heavy stuff (the only song i have recorded with it so far is "the day god was born" on my profile, check it out and you can see how it sounds) but they have all sorts of kits, basic, jazz, rock, metal. i feel ya man, i'm a one man band myself. i think the best thing to invest in is a decent mic, sm 57's are pretty cheap and the industry standard. also i suggest computer recording/editing. it takes a little while to learn but once you do its amazing what can be done with it.
Well, I was looking about on the ol' internet, and came across USB microphones and leads for guitars.
What it does with the guitars is you link it up to the computer sound board, and the other end goes into the headphone port of the amplifier.

If anyone has used these before can you let me know if they're worth buying?
Quote by Haunted_Devil
Well, I was looking about on the ol' internet, and came across USB microphones and leads for guitars.
What it does with the guitars is you link it up to the computer sound board, and the other end goes into the headphone port of the amplifier.

If anyone has used these before can you let me know if they're worth buying?

That's great for vocals, keyboards, and any synthesized sound, but a guitar will sound a lot better through a proper mic. Like, leaps and bounds better.
I second the recommendation for EzDrummer. It's easy as the name implies and sounds a lot more realistic than outboard drum machines and is cheaper or free if you have no qualms about pirating it. For a keyboard, I'd get a USB midi controller that you could use to play pro-quality sounds off your computer instead of a toy keyboard.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?