Page 1 of 3
so i was comtemplating today...

and i realized that nobody really takes the guitar seriously, from a musical standpoint. think about it, if you are playing some catchy riff or some metal stuff or whatever, it sounds good but most people don't think its very complicated, most people think you're just showing off

then if you play something vastly complicated theory-wise, like classical or jazz, (ugh, the mi 6/9 (b13) chords ) nobody really likes to listen to it and they aren't impressed by it cuz it sounds boring.

they have recitals for just about every band or orchestra instrument, but never guitar. most people look at guitar players as always playing rock and never knowing anything about theory. if anything, thats the opposite of the truth. i know way more after less than one year of playing guitar than i did after 3 or 4 years taking piano lessons. and i mean WAY more

anyone else agree?
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
in some ways yes, but when i play guitar in front of people, like just dicking around at a party type thing, i can be wasted and just shredding mindlessly and in my mind, i know it's total **** and people are like "omgzzzz you are soo good!!!"
well i dont care what Grandpa Fancy music guy thinks of me about playing guitar
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
umm, since when did music have anything to do with how talented a musician was?
you're a fag for not recognizing flamenco as a true art, and realizing a billion classical dicks recognize it as a true art
wow man... uhh whenever i play guitar a round people they're always like ...dude (with gaping mouths)
Quote by the_axis

and i realized that nobody really takes the guitar seriously, from a musical standpoint. think about it, if you are playing some catchy riff or some metal stuff or whatever, it sounds good but most people don't think its very complicated, most people think you're just showing off

then if you play something vastly complicated theory-wise, like classical or jazz, (ugh, the mi 6/9 (b13) chords ) nobody really likes to listen to it and they aren't impressed by it cuz it sounds boring.

they have recitals for just about every band or orchestra instrument, but never guitar. most people look at guitar players as always playing rock and never knowing anything about theory. if anything, thats the opposite of the truth. i know way more after less than one year of playing guitar than i did after 3 or 4 years taking piano lessons. and i mean WAY more

anyone else agree?
I don't.
I learned more in the first few months of theory than I did in years of playing guitar , piano and percussion.
I think it all depends on what you learn, and when you learn it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by DuneCoon22
in some ways yes, but when i play guitar in front of people, like just dicking around at a party type thing, i can be wasted and just shredding mindlessly and in my mind, i know it's total **** and people are like "omgzzzz you are soo good!!!"

Yeah, people who don't play guitar have no sense of what's difficult to play and what's just fooling around.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Ya the bassist for my band has been playing for like 8 or 10 years or something ridicules and he always says my stuffs to simple. Then again the singer, rythm giutarist and drummer all say its really good so i think its all about whos listening
Quote by Boone666
Do something off of The Bugs Bunny And Tweety show. Bugs bunny + metal = instant circle pit
Year Zero wrote: Metallica are releasing another album in 2009 as well, it will be called "Ride the Magnetic Rod" featuring Unforgiven IV.
Quote by zanz1bar
well i dont care what Grandpa Fancy music guy thinks of me about playing guitar

thats my take on this. You can take months learning a song and play it for someone and all you get it a "wow, thats cool man... wanna play halo?" So about 4 or so years ago I said, then the hell with it. Thats why you need to play for you and not someone else.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
yeah, everyone in my school who knows who i am, knows i listen to and play metal. so when i ask to jump on someones guitar for a minute they so "NO! you're just gonna tune down to dropD and play some simple crappy little metal riff and show off" and i, still trying to juast play their guitar and see if i like for playabilty, comfort and such say "nah man, i just wanna play on it a min, it looks like a good guitar, c'mon and lemme jam for a min." and of course they say no, never mind that i was just gonna do a few scales and maybe sweep a little on it and maybe play like freebird or stairway to heaven or something buy Steve Vai or Ingvai Malstien <---sp?
No. What about the classical guitarists? They don't just rock out. Usually, classical musicians are more impressing than a modern musician just because it seems more mature and disiplined or whatever. It doesn't matter if you compare a classical clarinetists to a jazz clarinetists, classical guitarist to rock guitarist, whatever. I don't know why, that's just how it goes.

EDIT: Oh... I get it! What I mean to say is yes, I agree. I didn't understand your thread the first time through. It's just that the guitar is a much more popular instrument, so many more people are going to play without learning theory. If that explains anything...
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Last edited by E V H 5150 at Feb 6, 2008,
I disagree. Blink 181324 or sum 41 play two power chords and they are worshipped by thousands of prepubescnet girls and guys. Some guy sent a link to a video of miyavi or some japanese fellow, and He did a "solo" which consisted of the same chord progression repeated, over and over again. I scrolled down, and some person was saying "OMG HE CAN WALK AND PLAY AT THE SAME TIME HE'S SOO GOOD!"

There.

Also Music isn't about impressing people or anything. Play music because you wanna pay music, not to make money or anything
Quote by rebeltildeth87
thats my take on this. You can take months learning a song and play it for someone and all you get it a "wow, thats cool man... wanna play halo?" So about 4 or so years ago I said, then the hell with it. Thats why you need to play for you and not someone else.

I get that alot too. I have indulged in the sin of pride. i like to say that im ok at guitar. I sweep. I shred. I show one of my friends, and all they wanna know is, "wheres the tf2?". Now, i just play to make music, not to impress.
Ya if you do some crazy wammy dives, or a killswitch or zakk wylde riff with pinch harmonics, people that dont know anything about guitar think your a god
I think I ate your chocolate Squirrel.
I'm still kind of surprised by the fact that acoustic guitars are still not in school bands etc. At least nowhere that I have heard of.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
it's sad that, their isn't many people that appreciate music in the first place.

I always love finding people that arn't musicians but appreciate music for what it is. your always able to tune into a good conversation with them.

its great finding music appreciators. but can't play music themselves. they're the real people that take guitar seriously, or any other instrument likewise.
my friend is an idiot he says everything i've learned in these 2 and a half years he can do it in a week. it's bull**** all he does is play video games and he's never played a guitar.
Quote by restless_thrash
I get that alot too. I have indulged in the sin of pride. i like to say that im ok at guitar. I sweep. I shred. I show one of my friends, and all they wanna know is, "wheres the tf2?". Now, i just play to make music, not to impress.

ya, its extremely annoying when its a song youve wrote. I get that more than anything else. I play Tech-Death so alot of concentration and patience goes into writting that stuff. Noone gets it so I start jammin sweet home alabama and everyone goes ape****. "Oh my god, I love that song. Led Zeppelins awesome." I dont have the heart to tell em its a Skynyrd song. Ive come to hate some songs for this very reason. it pissed me off when people dont know **** about good music.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
I think if it sounds good it sounds good..

Rock guys don't play easy powerchords because it's easy to play and they are lazy necessarily, it's because it's the music that appeals to them.

And classical players don't play those chords because they are complicated, they are playing it because they like the sound the chord produces.

See, complicated chords in classical and jazz can be boring, and they don't appeal to everyone.

It's just music man... Playing guitar isn't a competition, it's a mode of expression, that's what music is. I don't see why everyone makes such a big deal out of how complicated something is to play. Just play the music and be happy.
All music is defined within the ear of the player/listener.

Its ok to have people not appreciate music because in the end, who is the one better off? You.
theres actaully quite a few guitar players at my school, but most of themn i think started within the past like 3 years
ive been playing for 5 years, so i enjoy showing the guitarists stuff and theyre like....thanks for making my guitar holy
Quote by doomed1
Ingvai Malstien

Close dude. Close.

I actually am glad that there arent more people that are amazed i can play guitar, you know the ones who drop their jaws and are taken aback, because it kinda puts you in your place. It reminds you what guitar's really for, and that its not just a shortcut for everyone's attention.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
yeah, see what i'm saying is that people who know alot about music but not nessecarily alot about guitar won't take it seriously

people who don't know anything about music will think that some pop-punk crap is freakin amazing...

and i'm not trying to imply that it's a competition, i just think it's underappreciated by theory buffs

i think it would be absolutely great if there was a such thing as guitar recitals, no matter what style it is
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
Quote by AthenasGhost
I think if it sounds good it sounds good..

Rock guys don't play easy powerchords because it's easy to play and they are lazy necessarily, it's because it's the music that appeals to them.

And classical players don't play those chords because they are complicated, they are playing it because they like the sound the chord produces.

See, complicated chords in classical and jazz can be boring, and they don't appeal to everyone.

It's just music man... Playing guitar isn't a competition, it's a mode of expression, that's what music is. I don't see why everyone makes such a big deal out of how complicated something is to play. Just play the music and be happy.

you win.
i like powerchords, cuz they are powerful
ya know.
but then, i like others that are harder to play, that sound elegant and foreign
people think that since so many people play guitar, it must be easy. but it's not, it's just fun!
Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the cake this morning!

yeah, that's an inside joke. i made it different colors and sizes to be obnoxious...
People aren't that way around here. I love just sitting down and ripping out some random pop punk song that we all know, and we all have a good time just singing along. They think it's cool if I start playing a solo or play something hard as well, but to be honest, I'd rather play songs that we can all enjoy than try to show off to people who don't really care.
Classical and jazz guitar have academic merits.

You can earn a Bachelor of Music in classical or jazz guitar performance. A lot of people take these seriously...

But yes, rock and other modern music aren't taken seriously because it's new and young.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by the_axis

anyone else agree?

Lol, I feel your pain. I hear band geeks in the hall trying to sound smart "I was all like, OMG, because timmy can transpose D sharp6 in his head, but not F flat? what a loser!"

I play guitar at home, and they play a wide variety of wind instruments, and they have classes everyday in school about it too...

Their exact words btw.
Last edited by captainjackass at Feb 6, 2008,
Quote by captainjackass
Lol, I feel your pain. I hear band geeks in the hall trying to sound smart "I was all like, OMG, because timmy can transpose D sharp6 in his head, but not F flat? what a loser!"

I play guitar, and they play a wide variety of wind instruments, and have classes everyday in school about it too...

Their exact words btw.

Exact words. They play

lol
Quote by the_axis
Quote by The Madcap

Don't worry. He's just an idiot. He's never known anything outside of his little teenage world, that's why he thinks that.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by captainjackass

I play guitar at home, and they play a wide variety of wind instruments, and they have classes everyday in school about it too...

Their exact words btw.

lol f flat
Follower of Zeppelinism.
What kind of piano lessons were you taking?...piano is the prime instrument to learn and use music theory with.
Who dat?
You guys know lame people. Most of my friends went nuts when they hadn't seen me in a year or so, and I played for them.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Don't worry. He's just an idiot. He's never known anything outside of his little teenage world, that's why he thinks that.

okay, i love classical and jazz. i meant to most people (as in retards in the little teenage world) it doesn't sound impressive
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
Sort of but I do think classical/ jazz players do get recognition. Metal etc players don't (Which is how it ought to be )
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
Page 1 of 3