Alright, I have an Alesis 12-channel firewire mixer.
the software that it came w/ is horrible...

I was wondering if there is any really good software out there that I could get for under 200bucks.
thnx for the suggestions.
B - MAN

My Main Rig:
☺1998 Gibson Les Paul Studio DC
☺Reverend Rocco(USA)
☺Martin DM
☺Peavey ValveKing 112
☺Dunlop Tortex(1.35Mm) Picks
☺Everly Rockers - .10guage.
☺Martin - .11guage.
☺Too many effects to list.
I have to say good choice on the mixer! Me and my band use the same one just 16 channels. We've got it running all of the channels into Logic Express on my Macbook Pro. So yeah, if you have a mac, Logic express is worth the $120
Audacity or Reaper. Both are technically free, though with Reaper you are encouraged to buy a license to help support the developers.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by fridge_raider
What software did it come with ?

cubase le....every1 hates it.
B - MAN

My Main Rig:
☺Reverend Rocco(USA)
☺Martin DM
☺Peavey ValveKing 112
☺Martin - .11guage.
yeah audacity is good and all, but it cant really take advantage of the firewire input on the mixer. Basically the idea behind it is for it to be used as a mixer AND as a input device. Being that its firewire, it can send all 12 tracks to the computer at ONCE. so you can have 12 things plugged in and have a track for each one created individually. Really comes in handy when micing a full drum set with 8 mics being that you didnt like cubase, Id suggest Adobe Audition, its a bit more ($350) but is great to work with and can handle the 12 simultaneous inputs via firewire. If you are special and have a Mac, definitely drop the $120 on Logic Express. I have it and would take it anyday over Audition or any other recording software on the market.
someone reccomended me ableton's live 6....for ($150)...
any good?
B - MAN

My Main Rig:
☺Reverend Rocco(USA)
☺Martin DM
☺Peavey ValveKing 112
☺Martin - .11guage.
Quote by Mosh023
someone reccomended me ableton's live 6....for ($150)...
any good?

Not for what you're looking to do. I don't really know when it comes to alternatives. Tracktion was OK when I last tried it but I don't know about compatibility.
Quote by Mosh023
cubase le....every1 hates it.

I don't see why. It's far better software than Reaper or Audacity as I recall, although I use SX3 now. The only thing about it is the shoddy quality of the reverb plugin, and the pathetic selection of synths, but it is free. (And the synth problem is pathetic in the SX version anyway).

But anyway, if you hate it that much, then you could try Sonar, which doesn't come all that cheap. I would personally choose Logic, but you didn't mention whether you have a Mac or PC?
There is poetry in despair.