im having trouble with interval notation for math, in the picture below i have to find

For what values is the function increasing?
For what values is the function Decreasing?
can someone help me and explain how to figure this out? it is really frustrating

do u need to use Sign analysis

i hate this ****-i have a test on functions tomm
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Do you know how to find the rule of the sinusoidal function?

You should be able to do that, my friend.

Once you have your values (the ones i learned were a,b,h and k, I don't know if you learned them as different variables), you'll be able to find this stuff no problem
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
i dont know how to do it. im lucky i got past pre cal. im not asian or indian so the odds are already against me. im just one of those math people that dont get it no matter what
So let me get this straight...you don't know how to find the increasing/decreasing values, or you don't know how to find the rule of the function...because if you can't do that, you're utterly ****ed.

Oh, and not all Asians and Indians are good at math you know...gotta let that stereotype stuff go.

whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
i am not indian or asian either lol
interval notiation is the **** with the paranthesis and brackets-parenthesis if the value is open (i.e. infinity) and brackets are for set values
ex
(-infinity, 2] [5, infinity)
or [3,4] [6,8]
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Quote by matx33
So let me get this straight...you don't know how to find the increasing/decreasing values, or you don't know how to find the rule of the function...because if you can't do that, you're utterly ****ed.

Oh, and not all Asians and Indians are good at math you know...gotta let that stereotype stuff go.

tell that to the 2 tutoring centers my school has where every tutor is chinese or from india.
ya i know they have brackets. but im putting in the answers on my online homework and it keeps saying incorrect
rocknskate4 has it. though if it's infinity, you open up the square bracket, like ]infinity, 5], etc.

Anyway TS, I you need to find the rule, and the cycle. It looks like it's 14 units (the two minimums are -7 and 7). I don't remember my precal here, it's been almost a year since I've used it. So I can't tell you everything because I don't remember.

Anyway, hope you have some luck here.

You're welcome
Quote by matx33
rocknskate4 has it. though if it's infinity, you open up the square bracket, like ]infinity, 5], etc.

Anyway TS, I you need to find the rule, and the cycle. It looks like it's 14 units (the two minimums are -7 and 7). I don't remember my precal here, it's been almost a year since I've used it. So I can't tell you everything because I don't remember.

Anyway, hope you have some luck here.

really its open? thats not what my math teacher taught us-he must be a giant douche then
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
well it's what I learned.

]infinity, -5] U [5,infinity[

You're welcome
It's increasing where the line is going up, and decreasing where it's going down.

I'm assuming it's not a sine function, because that changes periodically. So here's your answer:

Increasing: (-7, 1)
Decreasing: (-infinity, -7) U (1, infinity)

PS: Yes use open brackets always when one of the values is infinity. Where I'm from we use ( , someone else suggested ], maybe it's a regional or a country thing. But you positively want open brackets.
In notation, ( just means that it's numbers until that point, and [ means it's numbers including that point. If that's what you are asking. And also infinity uses parenthesis, eventhough it's not a number.
its a function, at no point is there two points touching each other. i hate math tho :P