Poll: Do you work on your versatility?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you work on your versatility?
Yes
47 89%
No
6 11%
Voters: 53.
So do you work at it?
Example:
Usually I play blues - metal. However, now I'm learning "Classical Gas", which is a fingerpicking song for classical guitar (though I'm playing it in my electric. Total pain in the ass. My right hand fingertips hurt ).

So do you? Or just stick to one style and technique?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I enjoy many different types of music (Blues, Jazz, Metal, Rock, Classical) I try to incorporate all of those into my playing (However I'm not that big of a metal fan anymore so it's not big) but yes, I'm pretty versatile. Although I don't really pay attention to learning a certain style, I just pick up my guitar and play away, write stuff, learn stuff... I don't really sit down to "Practice" anymore...
I'm learning some fingerpicking songs at the moment. Flat Baroque by Steve Morse(I'm playing it at a recital for my lessons place in June) and then I also have Black Mountain Side on the side.
"Waltz it up! The pit is it!"
Yeah, I try to get a little bit of everything, gives me more options, and I like options.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
yes i do. whenever i play classic rock i hold my pick a different way than when i play metal. it's not purpose either. I just feel more conferable holding my pick a different way according to what i play
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Hey man you have to if you want to go anywhere in the musical world. The likely hood that you and your band will ever make it big is slim to none, but you can still make money with music if you can adapt yourself to anything. You just have to ask yourself: Would you be in a Stupid Modern Country band if it meant spending you life playing music instead of getting a real job. Im thinking most people would have to say yes.

Buy anyway be able to play anything and you can play with anyone.
i don't really work on it, per se. i just listen to different types of music and just learn from it if i like it. i don't conciously go "okay today i'm only gonna play jazz". recently i've been getting into very middle eastern sounding stuff, so i'm noodling around with E phrygian and the harmonic minor scale a bit more than i used to.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Yes I somewhat stick to my bands riffing style and fingertap for soloing but I also experiment with some Tom Morello teqniques and I like learning blues.
** "If you master blues guitar, you can conquer anything out there"**
Of course I do. I love versatility.

I usually try to work on my speed more than anything, but I definitely gotta slow down once in a while and work on my bends and stuff, and it makes me more interesting to listen to because I incorporate everything into what I play. It's great to be versatile.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I play everything from Ska to Iron Maiden to Pink Floyd. Also, I might be joining a metal band, so I'll be playing that, too....
I don't really learn anymore. I mainly just write these days. I'm mainly influenced by 60s rock, modern indie and garage, and folk, with a little bit of blues and soul. Outside of those, I'm not really proficient at anything, but I don't really need much else for what I like.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
im a bassist. my band likes punk like antiflag and rancid so i am working on picking. i like slapping and popping. and i like tapping.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
im all about versatility. I go from death metal on my eletric to country on my banjo to blues on my acoustic. I just love music man, tho I prefer metal to everything else.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
yeah... i prefer metal to most stuff, but it's nice to be able to just jam with people no matter what they like and to not be limiting everyone by what you know
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
I pride myself on it. I have yet to meet a genre or a song that I can't butcher to some extent.
I'll play anything with anybody.
Except Disco. I'm not going there.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58

Except Disco. I'm not going there.

Why not?
i don't get what all these guitarists seem to have against disco
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by LazySandman
Why not?

its like rap. absolutely no soul whatso ever. Its a computer going thud...thud...bam
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
yeah. I love learning new styles. Guitar's all about learning new things and figuring out how to make your playing better. Learning new techniques and styles is really fun too.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by LazySandman
Why not?

I hated disco the first time around I am not going to be blamed for its ressurection.
Polyester, Goldfish in your shoes, Chicks with hair piled up on top of their hair, Disco balls, Stayin' Alive need I go on. Sorry dude just wasn't my cup of tea.
Although Disco Duck did have some socially redeeming attributes.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Yeah, I play/listen to all kinds of stuff. Pretty much everything exepct for pop punk and nu metal.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Yes, but I have a hard time playing genres I just don't like. I'm not going to force myself into playing something I have no interest in playing, like country
mainly play metal, but lately ive been opening myself up guitar wise. its funny you say that because ive been thinking of this lately.
I began as a rock/metal guitarist but now I'm studying jazz. I still retain my previous styles though, because I like being versatile. I think that knowing these three styles cover almost all basis of contemporary pop music.

I also study classical on violin, so I'm in touch with another major genre.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
All the time. Earlier today, I finally got around to learning the solos to "One," then finally figured out "Jessica," before (re)learning (I forgot them ) "Classical Gas" and "Gimme Shelter." I'm working on "The Clap" and a version of "Ocean," but I think it'll be a whilebefore I can do either of those proficiently. I like to branch out.

And classical on the viola, if that counts.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Feb 6, 2008,
I switch it up all the time

yesterday I was learning "Scarborough fair"

Today I was working on some delta Blues

and I'm planning on rocking out tonight lol
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.