if i play a fretted note on either the D, G, B or E string it makes one or more of the lower strings resonate and creates a very dissonant tone. i'm not hitting the lower strings at all. there's nothing wrong with my guitar. well, that i know of, cuz i think its done this on other guitars i've had.
i can do a little bit of palm muting on the lower strings that are resonating, but then i wind up muting the string being played as well. and it makes it hard to play faster.
sometimes that just happens.

you can check your intonation. make sure the string is completely in tune.
you can change the string.
and you can mute better. not sure if any will help tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
in tune and intonated. i know that if i'm playing runs, or scales, i'll resonate the last string played when going on to the next string. that's as much a technique issue though.
i think i've narrowed it down. if i play a note on the D string at the 7th fret (being an A note), the open A string will resonate as well. then if i pull off to the 6th, or 5th or 4th, or etc, or hammer on to the 8th, or 9th or where ever. or if i go up one string to the G, the open A string is still resonating and creates the dissonant tone. of course this happens on any of the higher strings around the same fret. it does not sound pleasant at all

so what's the cure? i don't want to play solos or scales or licks palm-muted. its very annoying.
It is probably your technique. Play it slower to make sure the note isn't sounding before moving on to the next string. It takes a while to get use to muting properly.
you have to palm mute so that only the string you're playing is open and the rest are muted.
^^^ I second that. Control over the instrument is just as important as playing the proper chords/notes/phrases.... Especially when playing on gain settings with an electric. Clean means more than hitting the right strings in clean strokes. You have to be able prevent unwanted sound from the instrument. This I feel is one of the most underrated aspects of technique. In any given intricate passage I play, I am constantly muting certain strings with either the picking or fretting hand. Sometimes even both, if even for just a minute second to prevent things that I don't want from ringing out.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at Feb 7, 2008,
They're all right, it's all a matter of proper muting
Quote by Zeppelin08
I busted a nut because my g-string was too tight.

Quote by rexreeper99
Hendrix. he played jazz right? lol. im real bad with names.

i guess jazz could work

add me up http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/cactus/
thanks for the help. i was pretty sure i wasn't the only one who's encountered this. is it something that is exacerbated by having a floating tremolo system, as opposed to a fixed bridge?
no, its just a natural tendency of the guitar strings. practice slowly, you can even try holding your finger pattern for one note and then picking the other strings around it to see if they're muted.