I have been going back and forward with this issue and i have a lot of the stickies and random topics here in the forums. they are incredibly useful and stockfull of information as well as funny flames and arguements.

i play metal mostly and tho i may be inspired to play another genre, i mostly go after a high gain tone with lots of "oomph".

i have been debating whether to get a Peavey 5150 off ebay with a Vader 4x12 or the Peavey 5150 combo off ebay as well and swap out the speakers (suggestions on that appreciated) as well as the tubes if i dont like em immediatley (which i doubt but suggestions welcome on this issue as well). i am welcome to the idea of other high gain "metal" amps. i can go from thrash to death metal so i need that type of versatility in terms of "teh br00talz". i dont NEED good cleans but they are always appreciated. i will settle for an amp that is metal but not enough for death and run my SD-1 for a gain boost and an EQ for anything else.

my budget is $1000 (US). tho that means i can afford some great deals off ebay, craigslist, etc. i dont want to get anything i will never be using the full extent of. i understand that a combo is plenty loud for a gig but a half stack gives a low end i have yet to experience with a 2x12 combo (proof of this in the form of an audio clip or youtube vid would be great).

so to summarize (in case u got lost >_> i did )

i have about $1000 bucks (can be more if i want) to spend on a brutal metal amp and it doesnt need beautifal cleans. i want brutal low end and distortion but i dont want to be forced to lug around a 4x12 if a 2x12 (or 1x12) will do the job beautifally alone and mic'd. i am not trying to look cool, just sound great. i am open to the idea of a quarter stack or a small combo with low wattage, granted it sounds brutal.
Some say the combo is good some say its not. Considering i've heard the head is god vs all the negative comments about the combo i would go with the head. Also you can always look at going with a 2 x 12 cab if you need something smaller. I've played the head on 4 x 12's before and the thing is insanely nice....
yeah well i dont NEED something smaller, i just want to sound good but if a 2x12 will do some nice palm mute thumps im happy. i dont WANT to carry a 4x12 but im sure i can. i have noticed (based on youtube vids) that the combo is lower gain than the head version. probably because its less watts and the fact it has better cleans lol. i wish i knew where to try out the combo but i dont think they have any in a store. if you know any in southern california that i can try id be much obliged.

i have tried the head and i know it owns very much lol, just want the most bang for my buck as well as not trying to be everyone else and going half stack or needing that kind of power.
Quote by giternator
yeah well i dont NEED something smaller, i just want to sound good but if a 2x12 will do some nice palm mute thumps im happy. i dont WANT to carry a 4x12 but im sure i can. i have noticed (based on youtube vids) that the combo is lower gain than the head version. probably because its less watts and the fact it has better cleans lol. i wish i knew where to try out the combo but i dont think they have any in a store. if you know any in southern california that i can try id be much obliged.

i have tried the head and i know it owns very much lol, just want the most bang for my buck as well as not trying to be everyone else and going half stack or needing that kind of power.

I would say bang for the buck is the head and the cab. Both can be sold easily seperatly if need be or can be interchanged with other heads or cabs. The combo is the combo your pretty much stuck... Also i would think it would be easier to carry a head around then a combo. Some body might have a extra cab were ever your going. I know alot of the clubs have cabs set up for you to use when your giging. And a cab isnt that hard to move around they ususally have wheels and handles on the sides. Ive heard that combo is a beast to move...
wow thats the best point i have ever heard. your absolutely right, a good cab is great for changing heads around (tho i dont have money for that -_-). so i guess that owns on the idea of a combo lol.

but now the issue of a 2x12 vs. 4x12 in terms of "oomph" not volume as i have heard that they are the same volume. could a 2x12 do some nasty palm mute wall shattering? in particular a vader 2x12. http://www.vadercabinets.com/id2.html

i do think a 4x12 is heavy to carry, i have tried. for my weak lil guitarist arms i need 2 ppl and that isnt ideal lol. yeah the casters are a plus but what about stairs o.0. speaking of which, do many stages have stair access or is that uncommon b/c i have only seen one small gig and they had stairs all over, it was brutal to watch them go up and down. im sure 2 flights is fine but 5-12 is crazy -_-.

as far as the clubs having the cabs there for me, i dont think i would use em because im picky sometimes, but i wouldnt know, never had that situation.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Fender reverb. /thread

no not /thread, unless you know how to get a greta metal tone out of that...

anyway, id probbaly go with the stack. i played on a stack the other day and the low end is just insane. its got so much more power than a combo, atleast form my small experience lol. plus i hear the combo 5150 is like impossible to carry
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by giternator
wow thats the best point i have ever heard. your absolutely right, a good cab is great for changing heads around (tho i dont have money for that -_-). so i guess that owns on the idea of a combo lol.

but now the issue of a 2x12 vs. 4x12 in terms of "oomph" not volume as i have heard that they are the same volume. could a 2x12 do some nasty palm mute wall shattering? in particular a vader 2x12. http://www.vadercabinets.com/id2.html

i do think a 4x12 is heavy to carry, i have tried. for my weak lil guitarist arms i need 2 ppl and that isnt ideal lol. yeah the casters are a plus but what about stairs o.0. speaking of which, do many stages have stair access or is that uncommon b/c i have only seen one small gig and they had stairs all over, it was brutal to watch them go up and down. im sure 2 flights is fine but 5-12 is crazy -_-.

as far as the clubs having the cabs there for me, i dont think i would use em because im picky sometimes, but i wouldnt know, never had that situation.

Look at it this way a combo with 2 x 12's is just as heavy and akward as a cab. So either way your gonna have the same issue. But on the other hand, a dropped cab can be easily fixed or replaced. You drop the combo your dropping the amp and the cab down that fleight of stairs.

Also 4 x 12's are gonna give you more umph and volume due to the amount of air you are gonna be pushing. Your basically doubling the surfice area. Think of it like a car stereo system. More subs more db's more umph... Now the 2 x 12's will sound good but it all depends on what you like and how must response you want out of your setup..
wow you are seriously like the epitomy of good points im not kidding, i wish i could think as clearly as you do. all ass kissing aside tho, thats very true about the dropage issue there and i think that pretty much settles the deal.

yes i love umph, teh br00tals, pwnzorz, brutalis tone. the most umph possible is much appreciated. altho i may not use it all the time i just love it way too much to be parted from it. so 4x12 it is.

now that that is decided lol, i actually have the option of getting an engl powerball but i would have to save up for about a year -_-, would that be worth it what with the solo boost, noise gate, and great cleans ( i have tested it). i RARELY use cleans but i do appreciate them. is it really worth the drastic amounts of money i would have to save just for the occasionaly clean breakdown i may use. i hardly think about using cleans in an actual song i compose but who knows i may like it sometime.

so based on that, should i save up or just stick to the brutality of the PV and own all much sooner (note i have already waited a year and a half, research mostly.)

if not the PV or the powerball, what else do u guys suggest for a more versatile head that still gets evil (under 2 grand thank you very much -_-)
Thanks for the good praises.....

Now the buy it now words of wisdom lol

Buy the peavey and try it out for a year, then you can truly tell if you need the Engl or not and in that mean time continue to save for the Engl. Now heres the reason why i say buy it now. Peavey's maintain there value very well. So if you buy one now you can easily sell it for the same price or even make a profit off of it. So you can get your brOOtal tone now and not have to wait and still end up getting the Engl in the end if you decide the Peavey is not the amp for you. And you have a full year to make a choice on the Engl...
alright ill maintain from praising you so much again but that sounds like a great idea and i will do that. i have played the peavey several times at guitar center and love it more each time, so i doubt it doesnt satisfy me but my tastes may change in a year and that is a smart course of action.

thanks for your wise words of guitarness wisdom lol, i do believe i can say /thread
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
alright ill maintain from praising you so much again but that sounds like a great idea and i will do that. i have played the peavey several times at guitar center and love it more each time, so i doubt it doesnt satisfy me but my tastes may change in a year and that is a smart course of action.

thanks for your wise words of guitarness wisdom lol, i do believe i can say /thread

No problem... If ya got anymore questions feel free to hit me up...
Quote by Kevin Saale
Fender reverb. /thread

What???

Go for the stack.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com