Page 1 of 2
well im looking for a better amp than my MG haha and im looking for a Blink-182 Green Day-ish tone. i know youre all gonna hate me for that but um yeah thats what i listen to so is there any difference between these two models besides the price?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Standard Stratocaster (JB Junior in Bridge Position)
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack
Peavey TransTube Rage 158
Quote by guy66657
well im looking for a better amp than my MG haha and im looking for a Blink-182 Green Day-ish tone. i know youre all gonna hate me for that but um yeah thats what i listen to so is there any difference between these two models besides the price?

get a spider.
Its not like your ears care, since you're listening to greenday and blink 182
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
a friend of mine uses a dsl2000 and his band is blink 182 songs with different names

www.myspace.com/52flicks

that the link if you wanna hear the recording
Quote by ozzy578
amadeus, calm the **** down.

MIA STRAT - [50TH ANNIVERSARY] ****SOON TO HAVE COOLRAILS

PEAVEY VALVEKING 100WATT HALF STACK [KILLER]
They'd both do fine, so I'd say go with whatever is cheaper.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by kool98769
get a spider.
Its not like your ears care, since you're listening to greenday and blink 182

lol, i agree haha, even though I have a JCM 2000 <-- check out my profile if you wanna hear it, all my recordings are with the dsl 401.
either or will do
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
The best option would be to get a Dual Recto for the distortion and JCM 900 for cleans, but of the two Id go for the 2000
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
hmm, well i know that Tom used those, but would it be great for Green Day as well?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
id take the JCM 900 any day
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Go with the 900 with the clean capability, and if you really need more distortion just get an OD or something.
900 > 2000 imo. The 2000 was a major let down to me, I thought it'd be a lot better than it was but all it was was just a mediocre, overpriced amp. The 900 is the only Marshall I've ever really liked and it can get pretty heavy, not that you'd need it or anything.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
The best option would be to get a Dual Recto for the distortion and JCM 900 for cleans, but of the two Id go for the 2000

??? Are you mad? This is terrible advice.

1. A Dual Rectifier is to much amp for a guitarist wanting to emulate blink 182.
2. Buying both of these amps for this application is a waste of money.
3. Buying a JCM 900 for the soal intent of using it for the clean channel is abserd.

Sorry to totally flame you, but I felt obligated to set the record straight.

I would recommend the JCM 2000 with the idea that it is capible of a wider aray of sounds and tones. The 900 will not have enough gain for your application.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by Ubershall404
??? Are you mad? This is terrible advice.

1. A Dual Rectifier is to much amp for a guitarist wanting to emulate blink 182.
2. Buying both of these amps for this application is a waste of money.
3. Buying a JCM 900 for the soal intent of using it for the clean channel is abserd.

1-Tom Delonge used a Dual Recto for quite a bit of Blinks distorted tones
2-I was only giving an ideal setup
3-I agee, but Delonge apparently didnt.

You might want to take it up with him, Im just passing down information
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
the jcm will have more than enough gain just get a 50watt model and run an OD if you need more gain
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

any certain models for an OD pedal?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
I can't suggest from experience about everything, but I hear that the Maxon OD808 is quite nice. Other stuff I hear good things about are Ibanez TS808 and TS9, and Digitech Badmonkey for a low budget.
actually thinking about it the Jcm 900 is more clear than the 2000 but really play both and decide after that
The JCM 900s I've played had enough gain for Metallica, I really doubt you'll need an OD.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
900 > 2000 imo. The 2000 was a major let down to me, I thought it'd be a lot better than it was but all it was was just a mediocre, overpriced amp. The 900 is the only Marshall I've ever really liked and it can get pretty heavy, not that you'd need it or anything.

If you are talking about the heads, then you are completely wrong. I don't have experience with the JCM 2000 combo's. People on this forum are bashing them, but supposedly a speakerswap would improve the sound of these combo's drastically. The DSL's are better than the JCM 900 and that is not just my opinion. And even the JCM 800 is better than the JCM 900. Compare it again, but now with decent EQ settings if you will.
Quote by laurens666
If you are talking about the heads, then you are completely wrong. I don't have experience with the JCM 2000 combo's. People on this forum are bashing them, but supposedly a speakerswap would improve the sound of these combo's drastically. The DSL's are better than the JCM 900 and that is not just my opinion. And even the JCM 800 is better than the JCM 900. Compare it again, but now with decent EQ settings if you will.

I'm talking about the DSL100 head. I've played it many times and can honestly say it's the worst Marshall I've played. I've played the 800 and it was good but I still prefer the 900. The JVM was alright as well but not great for the price. The DSL had a weak and shrill tone compared to the 900/800, very thin sounding amp. It also didn't have as much gain as I thought it would. For playing medium-gain stuff, it's an alright head, but I still wouldn't buy one.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have a Marshall JCM 200 TSL 122. It's a triple super lead in the form of a 2 x 12 combo thats 100 watts.

I think the clean channel is very versatile because it's got two modes. The basic Marshall clean channel mode and then there's a little button that will activate a mids boost to the equalization making it kinda twangy versus the clean sound without the twang. I can't really describe it but the clean sound generated will sound like the clean tones but without the mid boost it sounds like the clean on "what's my age again." With the switch on it'll sound like the cleans on "going away to college."

Then there's the crunch channel that has both a "tone shift" switch and a "deep" which will make it sound more darker and "pre scooped." The gain is good, it can go up pretty high for some crunch palm muting. I use it for arpeggios when I need a little bit more clarity but still a lot of dirt.

Then there's the lead channel which has the same features as the crunch but it has a lot more gain. If you want an idea of what kind of gain a marshall JCM 2000 can give go listen to Senses Fail's album called "Let It Enfold You," (songs The Irony of Dying on your Birthday and martini Kisses feature pretty good marshall gain examples.) They use EMG 81's but still you can get a comparable amount of gain with some hot humbuckers. I had the Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB set in my Les Paul but I switched to a pair of EMG 81s. (they were both for 80 bucks, some guy sold them to me off the street),

Anyway, the point is you don't need a Mesa Boogie rectifiers to get crazy amp gain. The JCM 2000 has it too. You just gotta set the settings right and put it together with compatible equipment.

I paid about 980 bucks on mine on EBay. Came with a 5 button footswitch that can access Clean, Crunch, and Lead channels plus Reverb and turns on/off your effects loop.

I hope this helps!
dude...that pedal makes me want to curb stomp babies and eat your face.
Quote by laurens666
The DSL's are better than the JCM 900 and that is not just my opinion.

Yes it is.
Last edited by Gutch220 at Feb 9, 2008,
i have a jcm2000 and a 15 yr old marshall valvestate and the valvestate kicks its ass honestly it is a great amp despite not being fully tube driven.
Quote by Raaaaar
i have a jcm2000 and a 15 yr old marshall valvestate and the valvestate kicks its ass honestly it is a great amp despite not being fully tube driven.

Does it beat the JCM900 though. I thinketh....not.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by Gutch220
Yes it is.

Ooooh that was close. I thought you were agreeing with him

But honestly, the cleans I can get on my 900 with a Carvin DC and an EQ pedal are very ****ing nice. And I still haven't replaced my tubes. And I have this other... little problem that seems to have occurred... Like my Mid control doing nothing...
I needa have 'er looked at.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Does it beat the JCM900 though. I thinketh....not.

I was just commenting on the crapness of the DSL-dont get so defensive just because you spent your hard earned Taffy benefits on a mediocre amp. The JCM 900 isnt much better than the 2000...get an Orange threadstarter and a 4x12
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'm talking about the DSL100 head. I've played it many times and can honestly say it's the worst Marshall I've played. I've played the 800 and it was good but I still prefer the 900. The JVM was alright as well but not great for the price. The DSL had a weak and shrill tone compared to the 900/800, very thin sounding amp. It also didn't have as much gain as I thought it would. For playing medium-gain stuff, it's an alright head, but I still wouldn't buy one.

Sorry to say, but the DSL has way more gain than the 900. And thin sounding = user error. That's why I m saying compare all the heads together but now with every amp dialed in right.

In the end it is all user preference, so every models' voicing will be appealing or not. But IMO I can get the 800 and 900 sound with the DSL, just a matter of EQ.
Quote by Raaaaar
I was just commenting on the crapness of the DSL-dont get so defensive just because you spent your hard earned Taffy benefits on a mediocre amp. The JCM 900 isnt much better than the 2000...get an Orange threadstarter and a 4x12

Dude, I didn't insult you did I? I simply asked does it beat a JCM900. I then stated that I thought it didn't, if you do then that is your choice. The TS asked which was better the 2000 or 900 whereas you just stated you thought the 2000 was bad, I was merely querying whether or not you thought your amp was better was the 900 aswell. So there was no need to say stuff like "taffy benefits" or any national discriminating things like that. End of discussion.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by laurens666
The DSL's are better than the JCM 900 and that is not just my opinion.

You are the "moron" in the oxymoron you just made.

I have to say the JCM900 4100 is a fantastic amp!

def 100w over 50w.

why? it has more balls and it is still capable of a great sound at low levels.
Quote by davedoom
You are the "moron" in the oxymoron you just made.

I have to say the JCM900 4100 is a fantastic amp!

def 100w over 50w.

why? it has more balls and it is still capable of a great sound at low levels.

Well, this just shows what a complete noob you are. I guess you havent even heard a DSL. Think twice before you call someone else a moron just because he has a certain preference. Wanker.
Quote by laurens666
Well, this just shows what a complete noob you are. I guess you havent even heard a DSL. Think twice before you call someone else a moron just because he has a certain preference. Wanker.

shutup, you fail at life.

Tone is subjective.

The DSL is not "Better" than the jcm 900, nor is the jcm 900 "better" than the DSL
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
shutup, you fail at life.

Tone is subjective.

The DSL is not "Better" than the jcm 900, nor is the jcm 900 "better" than the DSL

You fail at life too then, for not reading correctly.
actually tom played/s a triple recto.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
btw..id get a JCM 900..try the 2000 also though.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
I own a JCM900 stack and have had alot of experience with the JCM2000's (almost the only Marshall the stores around here sell), and I think the 900 is way better than the 2000, if you're going for classic Marshall tone. I have one of the first issue JCM900's from 1991, and I love it cause it sounds just like a JCM800 with some more gain, which is perfect for me. It's got all that classic Marshall in it, it can just do a step or 2 up in terms of gain compared to the JCM800s. Alot of this is because it's the first series they made, the higher up in the JCM900 series you go, the less they sound like I described. They get more gain, add reverb, and lose alot of the Marshall tone in them.

The 2000's DO have more gain than the 900's, thats for sure. They have better cleans too (If you're looking for more clean cleans, not the dirty Marshall cleans). They wont sound like as much of a classic Marshall as the JCM900 though, and thats a huge factor in alot of peoples decision to buy them. They'll do modern metal better (at least compared to a stock 900), but it wont give you the full Marshall tone.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
Quote by LastCaress88
I own a JCM900 stack and have had alot of experience with the JCM2000's (almost the only Marshall the stores around here sell), and I think the 900 is way better than the 2000, if you're going for classic Marshall tone. I have one of the first issue JCM900's from 1991, and I love it cause it sounds just like a JCM800 with some more gain, which is perfect for me. It's got all that classic Marshall in it, it can just do a step or 2 up in terms of gain compared to the JCM800s. Alot of this is because it's the first series they made, the higher up in the JCM900 series you go, the less they sound like I described. They get more gain, add reverb, and lose alot of the Marshall tone in them.

The 2000's DO have more gain than the 900's, thats for sure. They have better cleans too (If you're looking for more clean cleans, not the dirty Marshall cleans). They wont sound like as much of a classic Marshall as the JCM900 though, and thats a huge factor in alot of peoples decision to buy them. They'll do modern metal better (at least compared to a stock 900), but it wont give you the full Marshall tone.

So if a buyer wasnt particularly bothered about having that 'classic' marshall sound, would the 2000 be the better option?
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Depending on what you play, then yeah. If you're looking for a more modern metal sound, then you can buy a JCM2000 and it can do it fine, even stock. You could also buy a JCM900 and an OD pedal and a couple other things, or maybe even have it modded, and it would do the job too. The only thing I cant reccomened the 900 for is if you want a modern sound, unless like I said you plan to modify it. For anything else, I think the JCM900 would work alot better than a 2000.

That might seem confusing, hope it helps though.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
So if a buyer wasnt particularly bothered about having that 'classic' marshall sound, would the 2000 be the better option?

Then why look at Marshalls?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Page 1 of 2