On a moderately windy day. What could you potentially throw farther, a football or a hacky sack?
i would say football, but that's from personal experience. i know nothing about physics.
foot ball because its more aerodynamic. plus it was designed to be thrown
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Footballs have more mass, therefore they have more momentum and will go farther.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Football, both against and with the wind. With the wind because there is more surface area, so more of the wind's pressure is used to push it, and against the wind because it is more aerodynamic.

actually, against the wind could go either way, the hackeysack is probably more dense. But, as far as versatility goes, go with the football
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by stradivari310
Footballs have more mass, therefore they have more momentum and will go farther.

too overly simplistic. Using your logic you could throw a cannon ball farther than a football.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
I would of said hacky sack from personal experience.
Ibanez RG350dx
Ibanez AF85 Artcore VLS
Peavey Bandit 112

Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Quote by pawnluv
too overly simplistic. Using your logic you could throw a cannon ball farther than a football.

Cannonballs are smaller than footballs...
Quote by justen23
I made fun of the national guard in front of some kid that was in it. He tried to kill me but failed just like they always do.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Haha, ass herpes.
football. a hackey sack would collect too much drag because of its shape. footballs are designed to fly and cut through the air.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Whose throwing it? If its Brett Favre I'm sure the football. I, on the other hand, probably couldn't throw a football further than a hackey sack no matter what type of day it is.
hackey sack. it's lighter, smaller and has less surface area = MUCH less drag than football. unless it's one of those half-empty hackey sacks that could bend into a sort of sail.

another problem with a football is that its mass is spread over a larger volume.

also easier to throw a hackey sack.
Quote by bassplayer33333
Sinisa Rules all.

Quote by zbest
That is part of the reason that the mafia does so much drug trafficing, its so they wont die of hunger because they dont have anything.
Football, because you throw it in such a way that it spins pointed lengthwise into the wind. Less drag.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Quote by achristianrabbi
Cannonballs are smaller than footballs...

So if you got a big cannonball, you could throw it further?
Quote by pawnluv

You could, assuming you can apply the right amount of force to create equal acceleration in each.
Rig

Could go either way....The football would lose a lot of velocity from wind resistance...
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
Football, because you throw it in such a way that it spins pointed lengthwise into the wind. Less drag.

incorrect. less drag than a non-spinning football MAYBE (i'm really not sure about that because as it spins, more surface area comes into contact with air = more resistance).

that doesn't prove it has less drag than a hackey sack.
Quote by bassplayer33333
Sinisa Rules all.

Quote by zbest
That is part of the reason that the mafia does so much drug trafficing, its so they wont die of hunger because they dont have anything.
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
You could, assuming you can apply the right amount of force to create equal acceleration in each.

You would have to apply more force to the cannonball than the football to create an equal acceleration. And since the force in this case remains constant (your throwing arm), it is too simplistic. Momentum is a poor reference here.
Quote by bassplayer33333
Sinisa Rules all.

Quote by zbest
Quote by sinisa
incorrect. less drag than a non-spinning football MAYBE (i'm really not sure about that because as it spins, more surface area comes into contact with air = more resistance).

that doesn't prove it has less drag than a hackey sack.

Okay, in that case, I'd like to see a quarterback throw hackey sack as far as they can throw a football. I'm pretty sure it depends on how you throw it, and it's not as simple as any of us would like to think.
Rig

Quote by stradivari310

if you can put more force into it. but people say "football, less wind resistance" you're forgetting the hackysack is way smaller, way less restistance. but i think hackysack.
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
Okay, in that case, I'd like to see a quarterback throw hackey sack as far as they can throw a football. I'm pretty sure it depends on how you throw it, and it's not as simple as any of us would like to think.

I think in terms of the mechanics of throwing, it is FAR easier to throw a hackey sack than a football. I think a quarterback could easily throw a hackey sack further than a football. Grip for one. Easier to transfer kinetic energy to the hackey than to a football. A catapult might be a different story, especially one capable of spinning the football and being able to apply the same amount of force to either one.
However, that's not the question.
Quote by bassplayer33333
Sinisa Rules all.

Quote by zbest
Okay, if we're going to read into it then the question becomes personal. What could YOU throw farther on a windy day? Probably the football for me, since I'd drop the hackey sack on the ground by my feet just to be a dick. It's just who I am

Really though, I don't know. No one can really say for sure and physics is damn hard to test without getting skewed results.
Rig

Quote by x_themetalfan_x

Huh? *pokes football* *pokes cannonball with equal amount of force*

My cannonball didn't move

UG Private Poker Room

UG Poker Group
Join it

╔╗╔═╦╗
║╚╣║║╚╗
╚═╩═╩═╝
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
Okay, if we're going to read into it then the question becomes personal. What could YOU throw farther on a windy day? Probably the football for me, since I'd drop the hackey sack on the ground by my feet just to be a dick. It's just who I am

Really though, I don't know. No one can really say for sure and physics is damn hard to test without getting skewed results.

If we took a catapult to throw both the football and the hackey sack with equal force and at the same angle, i am STRONGLY inclined to say that the hackey sack would travel farther. It is lighter and has much less drag. Even if the football was spun perfectly, i HIGHLY doubt it could travel farther.

It's evening now, but if this threads still going tomorrow, i'll get a paper, pen and a calculator and figure out the range of each using average weights/drag coefficients.
Quote by bassplayer33333
Sinisa Rules all.

Quote by zbest
Quote by Incardito
Huh? *pokes football* *pokes cannonball with equal amount of force*

My cannonball didn't move

+1