Hey, I recently bought a Blackheart amp, and unfortunately - although I knew already - it has no effects loop. This didn't bother me as I thought you could just plug effects into the guitar input and everything would be huky dory. I never knew what an effects loop was for until recently, and I've read on UG that without an effects loop, the guitar's signal is going to be spoiled somewhat.

So what I'm asking is, is it worth me buying any effects pedals? I love the natural tone of my amp, but I wouldn't mind just 3 or 4 pedals, namely

>Reverb
>Overdrive
>EQ
>Delay - maybe

Also, are there any reccomendations for less disruptive pedals, and is the effect of pedals without an effect loop really that drastic?
Nothing wrong with the effects up front. You may get a little more noise (not that bad) or some interaction between the pedals, such as when you kick in the distortion the reverb may be more pronounced. No worries, buy your pedals.
I read somewhere that modulation pedals are supposed to be looped, but overdrive pedals and their variants are fine going straight in - why is that?
the EQ and overdrive sound best up front.

Depending on the amount of gain you use, the Delay and Reverb could be a good possibility. With high gain, I don't really like delay up front because it distorts the delay at the same volume, just with a less driven signal. Reverb up front can kill the articulation and give you a really spikey lead tone which makes it pretty hard to solo.

I do understand some amps do handle effects better than others when used before the preamp but the effects loop IMO is usually better for the actual effects.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Ghold125
it's just preference

It's not really a preference. You add the effects to modulate the amps tone, not modulating the guitar tone to be run through the amp.

Running modulation effects outside the loop changes the amps normal characteristics. Running it in the loop keeps the amps normal feel but changes the tone.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
So reverb is going to change my tone? This is the only effect that I do consider essential.
Quote by greggybhoy
So reverb is going to change my tone? This is the only effect that I do consider essential.

If you play metal, I could see it affecting your tone. If you don't then no. It shoudln't have much of an impact on your tone at all.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I have a question that can help the TS: Can you add an output jack to the Preamp and an input jack to the poweramp and just keep them connected with a lead when no effects are in the loop?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by greggybhoy
I read somewhere that modulation pedals are supposed to be looped, but overdrive pedals and their variants are fine going straight in - why is that?

I also read somewhere that all time-based FX were supposed to go in the FX loop....

Not sure why though.....
Quote by MESAexplorer
If you play metal, I could see it affecting your tone. If you don't then no. It shoudln't have much of an impact on your tone at all.

I should be okay then as I'm not a metal player - I can hardly play guitar anyway!

Quote by CORT noob
I have a question that can help the TS: Can you add an output jack to the Preamp and an input jack to the poweramp and just keep them connected with a lead when no effects are in the loop?

I don't think so. It may even be too early in the morning for me to understand this question!

Anyway, is what reverb does anyone reccomend. I like the look of the EHX Holy Grail Plus, but I have never tried any reverbs other than the Digiverb and my old Valvetronix reverb.