Do they make a Solid State version of the '65 Twin?

if not, what SS amp would be closest to the '65 Twin Reverb?

The Fender Frontman 65R seems closest, same controls pretty much. Circuitry would be different obviously.

What other amp would be closest?
A Jazz Chorus, maybe?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The Frontman is basically a big practice amp. My brother started out with the 15watt version and it's really not that good. The 65 watt version will just be louder - the same way Marshall MG's are. Your best bet is to buy a Vox Valvetronix and use the Blackface setting on it. At least then the tone will be reasonable. Or a Roland Cube on the same setting.
Quote by slatsmania
A Jazz Chorus, maybe?

Thats probably one of if not the only ones.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Spider Pig? what about Harry Plopper?

Actually, in the controls, not so much the tone, but the Frontman should be decent for small, coffee shop to medium size bars, right?
Last edited by neptune1988 at Feb 6, 2008,
the valvetronix has an amazing clean sound. i had one for a couple weeks (wasnt digging the distorted sounds) and i loved the clean. also, why ss? a fender blues junior, blues deluxe, etc. would give a great clean sound
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
BUDGET PLEASE
Imo, the ONLY good solid state amps I have ever played are the roland amps... those guys know what they are doing when they make an amp... Cube 60, but then, if you have the cash to get the JC-120... wouldn't you just save up for the reissue or a fender hot rod deville 212?
I only have like $300-400.

so, yeah really limited.

Also, won't have time or money for maintenance of tube amps.

Would the FM 210R work for what I'm looking for?
check your local craigslist for a roland jazz chorus. they go for about $400 sometimes. thats really your best bet, much better than that fender
The 80s fender princeton chorus has some amazing cleans imo better than alot of tube amps
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by neptune1988

What maintenance? If you buy it with good tubes you won't have to replace them for 2 years or so, maybe longer depending on how much you play on it, and even then it's not that hard.

A lot of people have this idea that because it has tubes in it it's really hard to take care of. The fact is, a tube amp is a much safer investment. If anything ever dies on a tube amp it's easy to fix, on a SS amp, you're pretty much screwed.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by neptune1988
I only have like $300-400.

so, yeah really limited.

Listen, just so you know, that's BS. There's no time involved in maintaining a tube amp, and a set of replacement tubes every couple of years (if that often) isn't going to break your bank.

With your budget, I'd be looking for a used Fender Hot Rod. It's a geat clean amp with plenty of power for gigs. Only has five tubes in it. Cheap/easy to maintain.

Quote by s.r.v.
check your local craigslist for a roland jazz chorus. they go for about $400 sometimes. thats really your best bet, much better than that fender

I found an old Roland Jazz Chorus 77 in a pawn shop for $175. It's definitely a cool, gig-capable, clean amp. Deals can be found out there. But still, my recommendation's above.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by neptune1988

Quote by slatsmania
Listen, just so you know, that's BS. There's no time involved in maintaining a tube amp, and a set of replacement tubes every couple of years (if that often) isn't going to break your bank.

With your budget, I'd be looking for a used Fender Hot Rod. It's a geat clean amp with plenty of power for gigs. Only has five tubes in it. Cheap/easy to maintain.

Thank you.

TS, bite the bullet. Forget mediocre, oversized practice amps and enter the grand cult of the Tube Amp Users. Do you really want to sound as crap and as lifeless as some of those other musicians? The cleans on the Hot Rod are very nice, and as slats says, they're available dirt cheap on the used market.
i have a fender frontman 65R and i am having huge trouble with humming and background noise. has anyone else experienced this? know how i can fix it?
joe
Used Fender tube amp. Something in the Hot Rod Line, personally, I would do a Blues Jr. (They are loud, don't let the size fool you), or a Blues Deluxe RI.

Honestly, you don't need a huge amp unless you're playing huge gigs. My Blues Jr. is plenty loud for the gigs I do, and it's easy to carry. More than likely if you play a big gig, you're going to be miced up too, so a huge tube amp isn't necessary. Anything more than 50 tube watts is overkill unless you're trying to get a ton of headroom.
Quote by s.r.v.

Definitally great advice. The JC-50 (1x12"), JC-66 (2x8"?) and JC-77 (2x10"?) go for $100-300.
Quote by neptune1988
Do they make a Solid State version of the '65 Twin?

Yup, Fender made SS Twin Reverbs from '69 to '71. Besides the fact that they suck ass, I don't think any of them still work.
Quote by Don_Humpador

TS, bite the bullet. Forget mediocre, oversized practice amps and enter the grand cult of the Tube Amp Users. Do you really want to sound as crap and as lifeless as some of those other musicians? The cleans on the Hot Rod are very nice, and as slats says, they're available dirt cheap on the used market.

I wouldn't really say that the Jazz Chorus is an oversized practice amp (if you meant the Frontman though then I agree completely), but otherwise I agree with what you and Slats have said.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
I have a vox ad50 2x12 and the fender model is pretty much the main one I use on there. It can sound very convincing. I would definitely check out a vox valvetronix.