Does an EQ pedal go in the effects loop, the beginning of a pedal chain, or end of a pedal chain? Also, I'm going for a heavy metal tone (think Megadeth).
wherever you want to put it. i personally don't think it matters. and for the tone, you will just have to tweak that out on your own.
You can put it one of two places: at the end of your effects at the front of the amp, or at the end of the effects in your effects loop. Always put it at the end of those, as putting it before anything that changes your EQ (OD pedals, Wahs, Compressors, Modulation, Harmonizers, etc) can dull the effects of those pedals and you may not get the best sound out of them. Plus you want it it to influence your finished tone, not your preshaped tone. Personally, I would run it at the end of the effects loop for the most impact.
Quote by CJRocker
You can put it one of two places: at the end of your effects at the front of the amp, or at the end of the effects in your effects loop. Always put it at the end of those, as putting it before anything that changes your EQ (OD pedals, Wahs, Compressors, Modulation, Harmonizers, etc) can dull the effects of those pedals and you may not get the best sound out of them. Plus you want it it to influence your finished tone, not your preshaped tone. Personally, I would run it at the end of the effects loop for the most impact.

it certainly doesnt dull the sound of an overdriven tube preamp though. lots of tube amps have an eq before the overdriven part of the pre amp, the mesa Mark series for example and they have a fantastic sound.
For maximum tone shaping effect stick it in the loop, if you want to use it more as a solo boost then stick it before the input...just after your distortion pedal if you use one would be good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com