Page 1 of 4
4) And lastly it has to be you playing not a recording from a artist that use's the equipment.....

The judges...

1)Everyone is the judge just give them a rank from 1 to 10. 10 being heaviest.
2)Scoring format..
User's name:
Score:
And comment if you like:
3)And if you think someone is cheating call them out...

And lastly LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

***** Additions please read******
This isnt a you have to use a new riff contest or best riff.. You can post something you done and have one your profile from 10 years ago.. Post it, even if you dont have the equipment anymore.... This is the most metal tone...

Also to make this thing kick off a little more... You can run pedals but it has to be listed as to what you ran.. This is going to be a second competetion spin off so make sure you list you used a pedal and what pedal it was... We will have a winner for most metal amp and most metal pedal effect... So users vote accordingly dont skim and think that the guy using the pedal is the heaviest amp you have ever heard... Same scoring system.

Heres the new layout, put this in your post for voting... So i can easily go through and find the scores and what they should be classified as...

User:
Score:
Amp or Pedal: example: amp example: pedal

Questions/faq

"Are Effects Processors allowed? No o.d, just reverb/delay/modulation?"

Yes they are allowed. I will ask that you dont double... Using doubler or delay effect.

"If i can get some clips of my rack down then i will enter, who is going to judge anyway? They will have to base it upon the quality of recording and EQ/mastering rather than just how much gain there is."

The contest is for what sounds most metal.. Muddy sludge is metal to some but others its not so the judges will decide. More then likely a better eq'd sound will sway people, so by all means use what you got to make it sound the best you can. But do not go over board studio wise. I want to know what the amp sounds like not what you can do in the studio to turn a junk amp into a diamond...

"I tell you what, I'll volunteer to be a judge if you want. I do have some experience with metal (as my name suggests), and recording/sound operations."

Thanks for volunteering. But for this everyone are judges. Becasue one persons verison of metal might not be someone elses and this way we can average out the votes and get a better judge on what is best.. Example One judge likes metalcore so anything that sounds like that he gives a 10 too but the guy with the thrash metal tone was clearly heavier... So whats going to happen is say 10 people vote on one guy we can take those numbers and average them out to see what there real score is...based on all the users....

The contestants! Amp Only
User name:rky

guitar: ibanez rgtcr2. walnut neckthrough, mahogany wings, rosewood fretboard, crappy INF pickups.
cab: uhh... DI through m-audio fasttrack into GR3. uberkab off axis mic'd with sennheiser md421 models.

MESA F50 combo on the contour mode, gain about 8, treble 7, mids 4, bass 2, master volume 1.5

Link:www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/member.php?u=630707

Scores so far!
LuthierofTexas: 5/10
CarbonDeath:7/10

User name: LuthierofTexas

Amp: Randall RG100ES
Cab: Crate 412 w/ V30's
Pedals: None
Guitar: Dean V X
Pickups: Stock Dean

These are in vid clip format, so...
Settings are:
Bass: 2 o'clock
Mid: 1 o'clock
Treble: 2 30 ish
Reverb: 10 o clock
Presence (reverb control): 1 o'clock
Gain: Full
Volume: 2 (on the dial, not o'clock) with half wattage mode on

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuse...ideoid=27819572

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuse...ideoid=27819816

Heres a clean clip of my Randall.

Gain is on like 3 with reverb. My EQ settings are all the same.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuse...ideoid=27892038

And since everyone is demo-ing Holy Diver by KSE...

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuse...ideoid=27892359

Same EQ only the Gain is dimed.

Scores so far!
rky:5/10
Jimm666Page666: 10/10

User name: CarbonDeath

Traynor YCV 80 2x12 thru a Rocktron Utopia Effects processor.
Played with Epi Les Paul

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LAXy7F04LCk&feature=user

Scores so far!
LuthierofTexas:7/10
zack_gb: 7.5/10
rky: 6.5/10

User name: zack_gb

Guitar: Ibanez Arx100
Amp: Engl Screamer
Riff: Holy Diver-KSE version.. (learned like 10 minutes ago so timing is kinda bleh)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUFPWdDsCBM

Scores so far!
rky:4/10
CarbonDeath:5/10
LuthierofTexas:5/10

User name: MatixClaw

Amp: Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Shorthead (Rev A)
Cab: Marshall 1960b (G12T75s)
Guitar: American Standard Strat
Pickups: DiMarzio Tone Zone S

Lead channel w/ Graphic EQ engaged:

http://media.putfile.com/Strat---Tone-Zone-S

Guitar: Gibson Faded SG
Pickups: EMG 85 (b) - Still need to switch it back

http://media.putfile.com/SG---85-b

Both recorded using a Line 6 TonePort UX2 and Samson Q7 mic through Cubase SX3. No mixing done to either.

Pickups: DiMarzio Tone Zone S (Left Side - Rhythm), DiMarzio YJM (Right Side - Lead)

http://media.putfile.com/Holy-Diver-Cover

Lead channel w/ Graphic EQ engaged:

Gain: 8/Pulled
Highs: 6.5
Bass: 4
Mids: 5
Drive: 8
Presence: 6
Triode
Simul-Class
Harmonics

Scores so far!
rky:7.5/10
LuthierofTexas:9.5/10

User name: guitardude11

this is straight up mark iv. i plugged my gibson sg faded straight into the input of my mesa boogie mark iv. it is a widebody combo. (the gibson doesnt have that great of p/u's so the sound is a bit twangy compared to my s520 which i usually play and like the tone from better)

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/.../all/play210520

i wrote the song a while ago, recorded it very quickly one weekend with a sm57 into a firepod. no studio effects whatsoever. this is just me, my guitar, and my amp. and i love it. there is a badass breakdown in the last 30 seconds.

Scores so far!
LuthierofTexas:7/10
rky:8/10
MatrixClaw:8.5/10

User name: gunther_sucks

Amp: Peavey JSX
Cab: Carvin Legacy 4x12 w/ V30's
Pedals: none
Guitar: JS1000
Pickups: Fred bridge, Paf Pro neck.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gunther_sucks/music/

Scores so far!
LuthierofTexas: 8/10

User name: H4T3BR33D3R
Amp: Laney VH100R
Cab: Peavey Windsor 4x12
Pedals: Boss GE-7 Guitar Equalizer
Guitar: Epiphone Goth Explorer (D standard first half, Dropped C latter half)
Pickups: EMG 81 bridge.

Amp settings:
Drive channel: Red
Bass:4
Middle:10
Treble:7
Presence:4
Resonance: Up
Gain 1: 5
Gain 2:5
Reverb: 0

Boss GE-7 set as a mid boost.

Clip is in the proffie: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/H4T3BR33D3R/

Score do far!
LuthierofTexas: 9/10

User name: zoomzilla
Ok here is the setup:
Les Paul with Dirty Finger Pickups
Mesa Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960BX cabinet with Greenbacks
Amp Settings:

Output at 12
Prescence at 12
Master at 8:30 (barely on)
Gain at 3
Bass at 1
Mid at 12
Treble at 11

Bees in a tin can is all I can tell you about the sound quality. Plus I sat next to the camera so not only could you hear bad sounds, but you could hear me playing as well. I will do another one when I get my noise gate, hopefully I can try again when I am in the sweet spot and we will see how it sounds.
http://media.putfile.com/DioMetalli...-sloppy-playing

Score do far!
LuthierofTexas: 8.5/10

The contestants! OD/Distortion Pedals+Amp

User name:MatrixClaw

Amp: Line 6 TonePort UX2 - Insane Model
-Settings:
*Drive: 4 o'clock
*Bass: 3 o'clock
*Middle: 4 o'clock
*Treble: 2 o'clock
*Presence: 12 o'clock
*Volume 4 o'clock
Cab: 4x12 2001 Treadplate
Pedals: Maxon OD-808
Pickup: EMG Select Bridge (P.O.S.)

http://media.putfile.com/Deliverance---Roughhttp://media.putfile.com/Deliverance---Rough

Score so far!

User name:~Andrea-Angel~

Amp: 5150 combo, rhythm channel
EQ: Bass:6 Mids:4 Treble:5 Pre:7 Post:1
Cab: -
Pedals: ibanez metalscreamer
Guitar: LTD EX400bd
Pickups: 81/81

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...a-Angel~/music/

Score so far!

(personal note scoring and clips checked through post #123)
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Feb 11, 2008,
Damn I posted this in the Riffs and Recording section. Under the contests. But your layout is better then mine. lol
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Damn I posted this in the Riffs and Recording section. Under the contests. But your layout is better then mine. lol

Yea i posted this right after i posted about the thought lol. Then went back and saw your post and was like umm.. Ohh well.. If anything yall still have your score to settle and this can be the main one for everyone...
oh it's in here? ok..

guitar: ibanez rgtcr2. walnut neckthrough, mahogany wings, rosewood fretboard, crappy INF pickups.
cab: uhh... DI through m-audio fasttrack into GR3. uberkab off axis mic'd with sennheiser md421 models.

i'll put up some more at a later time. possibly i will record with a mic instead (but i only have a lame karaoke mic that's been sitting around for ages...)

when messing around with GR3 i normally have my signal going into a graphic eq, then a JC120, then into a 1960a panned left, dual rec panned right, and an uberkab in the middle. the JC120 trims some of the excess mud that i get from using direct out and brings the signal level way up (it's very very quiet otherwise) and the cabs make for a pretty huge sound. i figured it was unsporting to do that for this though :P
Last edited by rky at Feb 6, 2008,
Quote by jimmy666page666
if only i had my 5150 still

"1) No distortion or Overdrive pedals allowed."...lol
im in. hows friday sound?
me:
fender blues deluxe
fulltone deja'vibe
epiphone les paul standard

EDIT: oh its a metal contest? nevermind. i read quickly and thought it was cleans
Last edited by s.r.v. at Feb 6, 2008,
mark iv anyone? i probly shouldnt enter, the mark iv would rap3...
Well Enough Alone
just post it :O i think it's not so much a contest as comparing tones (which i guess could be compiled into a guide so people will have an idea of what amp tones to expect when shopping for something new)?
Quote by rky
just post it :O i think it's not so much a contest as comparing tones (which i guess could be compiled into a guide so people will have an idea of what amp tones to expect when shopping for something new)?

Bingo! and its still a contest of sorts because hell everyone wants to know which amp owns all...
I might give it a go when I get back to my house sometime this weekend. Out of town at the moment. I'm such a recording newb when it comes to mics, should be interesting.
Jackson RR5 Rhoads
ESP Viper 400
Epiphone Les Paul EMGs (81/85)
Edwards E-CY-165CTM
FJA Modded ENGL Powerball Halfstack
Framus Cobra + Avatar 4x12 Greenbacks
You will be hearing from Mr. Marshall Snob very soon!
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
aww no OD's but thats how i get my fat metal tone
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

If i can get some clips of my rack down then i will enter, who is going to judge anyway? They will have to base it upon the quality of recording and EQ/mastering rather than just how much gain there is.
I tell you what, I'll volunteer to be a judge if you want. I do have some experience with metal (as my name suggests), and recording/sound operations.
User name: LuthierofTexas
Amp: Randall RG100ES
Cab: Crate 412 w/ V30's
Guitar: Dean V X
Pickups: Stock Dean

These are in vid clip format, so...
Settings are:
Bass: 2 o'clock
Mid: 1 o'clock
Treble: 2 30 ish
Reverb: 10 o clock
Presence (reverb control): 1 o'clock
Gain: Full
Volume: 2 (on the dial, not o'clock) with half wattage mode on

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=27819572

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=27819816

Im still working on placement of the camera so I can cut out the muddiness. But its a little bit better then the last one. But so it dont look like a cop out by not posting yet, I went a head and posted a couple.
"Are Effects Processors allowed? No o.d, just reverb/delay/modulation?"

Yes they are allowed. I will ask that you dont double... Using doubler or delay effect.

"If i can get some clips of my rack down then i will enter, who is going to judge anyway? They will have to base it upon the quality of recording and EQ/mastering rather than just how much gain there is."

The contest is for what sounds most metal.. Muddy sludge is metal to some but others its not so the judges will decide. More then likely a better eq'd sound will sway people, so by all means use what you got to make it sound the best you can. But do not go over board studio wise. I want to know what the amp sounds like not what you can do in the studio to turn a junk amp into a diamond...

"I tell you what, I'll volunteer to be a judge if you want. I do have some experience with metal (as my name suggests), and recording/sound operations."

Thanks for volunteering. But for this everyone are judges. Becasue one persons verison of metal might not be someone elses and this way we can average out the votes and get a better judge on what is best.. Example One judge likes metalcore so anything that sounds like that he gives a 10 too but the guy with the thrash metal tone was clearly heavier... So whats going to happen is say 10 people vote on one guy we can take those numbers and average them out to see what there real score is...based on all the users....
I'll be in the studio this weekend recording for a demo. If I have time I'll get something out of my VK and my other guitarists Rocker 30 (lolz) and put it up against the SS head Lutho'Tex.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Well remember gald, there can be no mixing or editing your sound. I dont know how much I can trust a guy who has to wait to record his 'legendary at high volume' sounding VK in a studio setting.
Quote by jimmy666page666
Vk has nothing on a Randall RG100ES....

I cant tell if there is sarcasm there or not...
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Jimmy, you sir are a man among men. I salute you.

Luthier gets 10/10 on all.
Psycho, Im still working on another couple of clips to try and get the muddy bass cliping from my cams mic out of there. I'll be posting another couple of videos pretty shortly after some more experimentation with the camera placement.

So far Im off to a great start. Thanks Jimmy.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Psycho, Im still working on another couple of clips to try and get the muddy bass cliping from my cams mic out of there. I'll be posting another couple of videos pretty shortly after some more experimentation with the camera placement.

So far Im off to a great start. Thanks Jimmy.

Cool, from what i saw and heard it sounded pretty good so far... Thats one of the amps on my collection list i still have to pick up as well lol
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Well remember gald, there can be no mixing or editing your sound. I dont know how much I can trust a guy who has to wait to record his 'legendary at high volume' sounding VK in a studio setting.

1) I don't own a mic, so rather then going out to buy one or getting a suck-ass sound off a video camera I can get a good quality recording on Saturday. Frankly, a muddy ****ty sounding recording off a camera isn't going to prove anything anyways.

2) What the **** is there to edit? I'm going to play for 30-60seconds, have it compressed to an mp3 and then burn it to a disc.

3) I can't turn my amp past 1 in my apartment, so even if I had a mic, I couldn't do anything with it.

4) I'm not the one who said anything about 'legendary' anything.
Last edited by gald at Feb 7, 2008,
4) I'm not the one who said anything about 'legendary' anything.

I read that whole thread, but never posted. But im 95% sure you did mate.
Quote by jimmy666page666
I read that whole thread, but never posted. But im 95% sure you did mate.

/sigh.

Quote by Windwaker
Thought I'd chime in on this, considering I've had a couple friends go SS halfstack in this range and regret it.

Maybe you should start blind testing amps. Seriously. I honestly doubt you'd choose some random SS halfstack over a nice tube combo anyday. One of my friends was showing off his crate-something-or-another halfstack one day and another showed up with rouge(?!) combo that blew his hard earned stack out of the water. The point of that is not that combos > stacks, its that tone is what is important.

I personally chose the VK212 not because I had a threadful of recommendations to saying to get it, but because I actually went out to my music store and played through every amp they had, and chose the one that best suited myself. In my opinion it has way better cleans, and could blow your SS halfstack out of the water at high volumes, because the tone is legendary and doesnt sound like shiite at high volume.

And why all of a sudden are you thinking that a B-52 sounds equal to a Mesa? Have you even heard these two amps side by side? The reason why the Mesa is so popular is maybe because it actually sounds that much better than its cheaper counterparts. Gee, wouldn't that be novel?

But back to the OP. Theres no reason why you need a halfstack. Browse for a cheap all-tube amp and if possible, try it out and see how it fits.

Next time take the 2 minutes to research before you put words in my mouth. Ctrl+f is your friend.
Last edited by gald at Feb 7, 2008,
Luthier didnt he say the VK is "Legendary"? I KNOW someone did i am pretty sure it was you. I was like "Come look at this", "Dimes amp vs some amp that no one halfway famous would want to play."

I almost bought a VK a few times, but they sound quite bad compared to my Carvin V3.
Quote by jimmy666page666
Luthier didnt he say the VK is "Legendary"? I KNOW someone did i am pretty sure it was you. I was like "Come look at this", "Dimes amp vs some amp that no one halfway famous would want to play."

I almost bought a VK a few times, but they sound quite bad compared to my Carvin V3.

Sorry gotta jump in this one... Dont get me wrong i love the RG100ES But dime did switch amps quite a few times.... And that amp was won not purchased and he decided he would make that his signature sound. And it also took a Doubler and Mxr eq and two noise gates, hot pickups and rumored other stuff on his rack to get it to sound the way it did. If he would have been given a Valveking the same result probally would have taken place... So dont judge the valveking just because dimebag happend to use one that feel into his lap...

Randall RG100ES Heads (1983 - 1991, 1996)
Randall Century 200 Heads (1992 - 1995, 1998 - 2004)
Randall Warhead Heads (2000 - 2004)( used only for clean tone)
Randall X2 Warhead Heads (2004)
Krank Revolution Heads (Late 2004)
Page 1 of 4