i was practicing today and i was thinking of applehead's belief that one cannot truly get better by learning more songs. He said something about drills n stuff

Even if my premise is wrong, does anyone have any drill ideas i can do/ stuff they could pm me? I read music

Thanks
he's right. unless you plan on learning every song, it's best that you get your technique and your theory down, so you can play whatever you want, sheet music or no.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
I agree, drills are important, but dont replace songs entirely with drills. I typically warm up with drills until I feel ready to play, then I go to start playing songs or improvising or learning new techniques

I have a session I do that works really well(for me at least, everyone is different), but its relatively difficult to explain...(i tried and it got to complex) I don't have the time now, but I will do my best to Video tape my excersizes soon and put them on Youtube. I'll PM you with the link when I get them up.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
This is something Ive been trying to improve on as well. Drills are important but I always find myself just running through all of my own basslines when I decide to dedicate time to practice.

If anything, just start warming up with scales, techniques and theory exercises before you start playing the songs you want to play, as the previous posters said.
I totally thought this would be about something like Paul Gilbert using a drill for his solo in the Drill Song....

I just practice different progressions, playing as much of the fretboard as possible without staying in one position. Also, learning songs is a good healthy way to examine different musical ideas. with drills, it's more playing ability, with learning the ideas, you put the ability to use. Need a balance of both.
Quote by LeperMessiah_
learning songs is a good healthy way to examine different musical ideas. with drills, it's more playing ability, with learning the ideas, you put the ability to use. Need a balance of both.

Well said. and you'll have to wait a little longer for my post on youtube, I was gunna record it this weekend, but tonight I snapped my A-string so I don't know when I'll find time to get to the music store and pick up a new set. Hopefully soon =)
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
o, btw i think i should clarify

Im mainly looking for drills to build up my chops, mainly speed and articulation. want to eventually be able to play a long string of 16th notes [atm can only manage a garnishing of 16ths]
Wow, I'm stupid once again. I thought you meant a drill as in a power tool. I thought you were going to drill holes in your bass and ruin it.
While drills definitely help strengthen and gather skills initially, songs can help hone them as well, and definitely make your playing more fun. You don't want to sit and learn songs for your whole career, but alienating them isn't a good idea either. You want to keep a good balance that helps you overall.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523226 has some good exercises.

And for a good book, check out Jon Liebman's Funk fusion bass. Even if that genre isn't your cuppa, it has 46 pages of drills for bass playing that are superb. The author even has a forward on "good vs bad" practicing that will help you hone your practice routine so it makes sense and builds your skills.
Quote by slap-a-bass
so if i learn yyz by rush i won't be a better bassist than i was before i learned it?

Not really, I know I can personally play one song fantastically well, but then I can go and try to play another song (almost just like it) and fail miserably. Basically, you can know all the songs you want, and if all you ever want to be is a cover-player than that's fine and it'll work great, practicing the songs even gives you plenty of help learning to do a certain stretch or speed or progression, but they don't help you understand anything behind the arrangement so that you can learn to successfully (in an easier and more common sense) learn to write your own stuff and become more versatile. If you do drills you will eventually gain the muscle memory for that specific speed and stretch and what not, and with various drills they can combine, but with songs, you learn one string of varying speeds and stretches, but unless another song is exactly the same (but maybe remove a note or add one note) then it won't help you with anything else at the most basic and essential function. Drills help to build your muscle memory to do (almost) anything, and theory and what not help to build your ability to piece together your vision and your playing skills to effectively make a work of art.

PS I hadn't pre-thought out all that, so it probably jumps around a bit, but hopefully my point was made, XD
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber