I'm in the market for a decent digital field recorder. Some small, easily portable digital recording device that I can capture anything on: music ideas (before I forget them), impromptu songs, nature sounds, rainstorms, birds, flowing rivers, etc. I'll also want to be able to easily edit and mix these on my computer as well, so the transferable digital part is needed.

I know Marantz and some others make higher end ones, but I wanted something between a high end and a digital voice recorder that people use for lectures. I don't need perfect recording studio quality, but pretty close.

Has anyone used the Zoom H2 (or H4), or anything other digital recorder for this purpose?

At just under $200, the H2 looks pretty good so far, and the sound clips I've heard are pretty good.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Nobody else has used this or another mobile digital recorder?
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
there is a user on thegearpage that used the h2 or h4 in a bar room gig and it sounded pretty damn good. All the instruments were clear, albeit volume mix was a problem. that can't be helped though. The sax parts were my favorites. Ill link later when Im on a computer
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Nice, thanks.
Both are nice units but for the extra cost I would go with the H4 because of the XLR inputs in case I ever needed to connect something like a shotgun mic out in the field for any video work.

thegearpage.net form has a good thread going now on the H2
Thanks for the info guys, I'll check out that site