Page 1 of 2
Why? I think its like their best album after the black album. But nobody seems to like it. Its frickin sweet.
You know whos got hands? The devil, and he uses 'em for holding; Preacher from Dewey Cox.
I wouldn't say it's their best album, but I thought it wasn't bad.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
for me, it doesnt sound like Metallica at all. It sounds like they just heard what was going on in the "music scene" at the time and copied it. The lyrics are weak, compared to their previous releases, and its just an all around inferior album. IMO
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
here's why i don't like it

-crap production values
-old guys trying too hard to sound modern
-dumb lyrics
-kirk hammett backing vocals
Honestly, I think it's a good album. People just don't realize that it isn't 1983 Metallica. Think about it, can you honestly listen to Bonded By Blood for 20+ years? I love that 80s thrash sound, but I can't sit there and listen to it for hours and hours and hours on end. It needs something extra. St. Anger's a good album mostly, just not 80s. That's all.
Quote by rebeltildeth87
for me, it doesnt sound like Metallica at all. It sounds like they just heard what was going on in the "music scene" at the time and copied it. The lyrics are weak, compared to their previous releases, and its just an all around inferior album. IMO

My thoughts exactly. seemed like they just tried to soften up their music, just to be more popular, which is selling out to me.
horrible guitar tone
horrible lyrics
horrible riffs
every song sounds the same

I seriously made myself listen to the album like 5 times to try and accustom myself to it. Just didn't happen. I hate it.
I thought it was decent. The sound seemed really unique. Although I agree that it wasn't Metallica at all
The Pit. The Movie.
Lyrics were definitely weaker than on all previous albums - only because James didn't write them all.

Have to admit though that album has some awesome crushing riffage.

Definitely wouldn't say it's one of there best though.
It's just an awful album in general. Everything about the production sucks, especially the drums, the music is sub-par at best, and it was proof of a band who just weren't themselves at the time, and were out to release any old **** they could think up.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
compare it to Kill Em All and Ride The Lightning, then listen to St. Anger. it sucks in comparison. it doesn't even sound like metallica anymore, they followed the current trend.

and since when does metallica tune that low? before they tuned to drop D or Eb standard at most. I think there's some songs in C on St. Anger, also following trends.

edit: nothing against down tuning, but that's just not metallica.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Feb 6, 2008,
Really bad production
Boring, predictable songwriting
It didn't seem like Metallica to me although i do know all the songs on it. But that's cause i have the upmost respect for Metallica and will listen to basically evrything they make. Even when it's bad.

Bring back the Kill'em All, Ride and Master days.
No guitar solos, horrible tone (even the drums!), songs all sound the same, lyrics have no meaning.

Compared to this the Load era was good (it was in fact good but wasn't Metallica- if any other band recorded Load/Reload it would have been great.)

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Heres the thing. If Metallica didn't make it, a good handful of people would have it and think "this albums pretty cool". Same with all the people who hate Load and Reload. Not bad albums, just not the 80's Metallica, and so the metalheads hated it, and the alternative fans didn't give it a chance.
Listen, I love Metallica. But the first time i heard St. Anger the snare drum
was so loud and annoying, i couldnt listen any more.
St. Anger is ok i guess if u like drum kits that sound like tin cans and steel bin lids..

And no solo's..
and songs that go for 6-7mins just for the sake of having them 6-7mins long..

I could go on but i think the album speaks for itself haha.
Quote by GHUALL
Honestly, I think it's a good album. People just don't realize that it isn't 1983 Metallica. Think about it, can you honestly listen to Bonded By Blood for 20+ years? I love that 80s thrash sound, but I can't sit there and listen to it for hours and hours and hours on end. It needs something extra. St. Anger's a good album mostly, just not 80s. That's all.

1 word... Slayer
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
well i still have semi hope for there next album. Rick Rubin said to use Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets as "reference points"
SSSTTT... AAANNNGGGERR Round my NEECKKK!!
FLush IT OUT!!

That's why.
Quote by Vermintide
I love getting hit in the balls.

Sometimes, I masturbate while imagining my girlfriend is ramming her knee up into my precious orbs. It turns me on so much.

Actually, that's not true. I don't have a girlfriend
Quote by exect4500
well i still have semi hope for there next album. Rick Rubin said to use Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets as "reference points"

I believe I heard that said when they were releasing St.Anger.
i think metallica should of stopped at the justice album, everything since then is crap, and before it, was ok, not great, just ok
Quote by shakes23
SSSTTT... AAANNNGGGERR Round my NEECKKK!!
FLush IT OUT!!

That's why.

I like that song.

I haven't heard anything else off that album though. Not a Metallica fan in general.
Who dat?
i dont see how people can say they sold out by making an album as un-mainstreem as st. anger

i like st. anger btw
haha... that was a funny pic.

but my opinion is.. St. Anger is a good album....
metallica picked up some new influences... and as i believe was stated earlier... who wants to listen to the same stuff over and over?

some songs on there were crappy, but for the most part i like it
the singles off of it were great

but this next album, i feel really good about it... even if we have to wait another 6 months for it.
Quote by Garret.

..is a girl
Quote by RPGoof
WAT
How about just send a ship at the speed up light directly to the sun, and the gravity will pull it towards the sun, thus speeding it over the speed of light.

There's no Metallica album that I don't like. St Anger has its downsides and bad songs, but there's some good stuff on it. As for Load and Reload? ORSM!
45 days without my precious UG...
CURSE YOU LOLWUT PEAR!!!

Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army
all the "metallica cant make the same ****e over and over" comments can go die.

megadeth and slayer can make new material decent enough for fans to enjoy. metallica? horrible.
Beacues the guitar tone can only be described as 'mushy' the drums are terrible sounding, the singing is out of key and nasal, the songs are predictable and boring, and no solos.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Probably because everyone likes to hate all Metallica after whenever they released whatever that album was the got all the attention because they're sell outs and such.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Aus-10

so kirk is not only a mediocre player, he cant sing either... damn man, i thought it might be his secret weapon or somethin. that video sounds fucking terrible
so kirk is not only a mediocre player, he cant sing either... damn man, i thought it might be his secret weapon or somethin. that video sounds fucking terrible

Well, they are just doin it for fun.

They never really claimed to be singers.

It'd be different if kirk tried to overtake james' spot or claim to be an amazing and trained vocalist.
i don't mind the album at all, it shows theyre at least experimenting, not like bands who just stick to what theyre good at.

i think if any other garage band made st anger as their album, it wouldve been famous anyway

it just not comparable to their other work
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Page 1 of 2