And the Discussion of.

Discuss Idea's, post ones of your band, any particular favorites?

My band is going out to an abandoned mall, and setting up our gear in the most dilapidated part to shoot some shots for an upcoming EP. On a side note, what're the chances this is illegal? Our drummers dad is a police officer, but I'd prefer not to have to go through getting hauled down to the station and possibly getting our gear damaged.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
I think it's unlikely it's illegal, unless there are signs saying 'Trespassers will be prosecuted' or the notices by a security firm.

I'd go for it, if you can get where you intend to shoot by van/car then it's unlikely you will be in trouble, you could just explain the situation and explain you didn't know it was illegal. Then just move on elsewhere (for a while )

Oh and in terms of my band, our last photoshoot was taken at the manager's house in front of a black screen and I used Photoshop to generate backgrounds for them (just some dark, looming clouds for one) and the others just look like high-quality live shots from an outdoor event.

We just had some taken at the rehearsal studio too that we intend to use, but I haven't had the disc with them on yet, so I can't start work...which is a shame because my Photoshop skills are alot better now :P

(If you want to see what I meant by the photos from last shoot, they're on the link for 'Disarm Goliath' below )
Last edited by last_biscuit at Feb 7, 2008,
Nice Stuff man, Im impressed.

We're right at that transitioning between home recordings to nicer stuff, so we were considering hiring a Professional music photographer, and had one in mind, but its expensive stuff apparently.

I'd link to our old ones, but their fairly shabby stuff, and all taken at construction sites.
Half the fun is finding the location, then coming up with something good.

Perhaps I should be a photographer rather than a guitarist.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x

Haha I know what you mean, luckily the bassist works with a photography enthusiast so for a relatively small fee we get very professional basic shots done and then I edit them.

At the latest shoot actually, I ended up giving directions to the rest of the band on where to stand lol, maybe guitarists are photographers at heart? (Or we're just control freaks haha)

The thing I'm really looking forward to is some professional photographer wants to take a few shots of us at a certain venue for his webzine which should be good, and we made a fan recently who is a university media student or something, and wants to make a video for us for one of our newer songs to use for his degree portfolio but also for us to use on our myspace
I think its probobaly the Control Freak part.
The only thing more frusturating than having no pictures, is having good pictures where one member is looking the wrong direction.

Or when one member makes a strange face.

Or again, Lots of potential for a great shot, but a bad camera.

Very early shots , not the greatest quality : P
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Ah I see what you mean. Don't worry, just find someone..anyone, a friend or family member, with a camera that has a high pixellation (I think our usual photographer uses some Canon SLR camera with 10.5mega-pixels or something like that...Anyway his photographs come out great.

Then find someone with a very steady hand (you don't want even the slightest hint of blurring where you can avoid it) and then you just need to find a few good locations and think of different things you can do in front of the camera that look cool but not cliched.

And if any of you are worried about looking bad in them, a) it's usually self-confidence that makes you think you look particularly bad/stupid/whatever in a photograph so seek opinions of other members and b) if you're still all unhappy with what could be a good shot send them to me and I'll work my magic :P And yes...I can airbrush pics convincingly, it's really quite easy
Oh and of those two photos, in the first one a bit better light from the camera's side would have made a great photo although perhaps the guy at the back to the right could be a bit more visible and less behind that guy at the front right's hair.

In the second picture, it would be slightly better I think if the guy on the top right was below the archway-bit and leaning against the wall next to the guy furthest forward. Then maybe have the furthest left guy slightly further forwards and almost hanging over the edge towards the rest of people...

Just a few ideas though
Thanks for the Advice.

We're borrowing a camera and a tripod for the next set, and someone with limited professional experience, so hopefully it'll be a little clearer.

The whole Young part still erks me a bit, but what can we do. Hopefully the recordings will speak louder than the pictures.

Much appreciated : ), That in the second ones me, So thats easy to fix.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Last edited by Zach_F at Feb 7, 2008,
Not a problem mate

I wouldn't worry abuot it, to an outsider things you think are bad aren't as noticeable...

For instance, look at my band's main pic on the myspace again...I'm the guy with the long black hair with a (barely visible at the time) red streak and the sleeveless top...

Would you have guessed that I'm only 18 (by a month when that pic was taken), the bassist (middle) is 31 and the drummer on the right is 28? People seem to assume I'm older than 18, or they're younger than they really are...
I'd put you at 20-25, bassist 28 and drummer 30's.

We've gotten good response so far, so I dont worry that much, Im just a perfectionist : P.

I want them to be practically breathtaking.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

1) I duplicated the image 2 times on photoshop. "ORIGINAL 1" (on top of all 3) "Copy 2" and " Copy 3".
2)DESATURATE 2 and 3 (Black and White)
3)Set layer to OVERLAY on "Copy 1"
4)Play around with the layers of Copy 2 (soft light, hard light, overlay etc). Leave copy 3 NORMAL
5)Adjust brightness if its too dark.

You get the effect. I did it in 15 seconds just to get the point across.