Okay I have had an acoustic for a while but just got an electric and I am trying to learn how to solo and play lead. My questions is how is it best to approach scales? I have read that the minor pentatonic is the most used scale in blues rock, which is what I like to play. To that end I have diagrams of the CGDA and E minor pentatonic scales going up to the 15th fret. Would it be a good start to try and learn these scales up and down the fretboard? Are there other scales that I should learn first?

I also thought that maybe playing 3 notes of these scales a click with a metronome would help. That way I could learn the scales and work on rhythm, technique and speed at once.

Anything appreciated.
I would start by learning your pentantonic and blues scales. Learn the shapes and intervals of the scales and practice applying these scales all over the fretboard. When your comfortable with those scales move onto the modes and do the same thing.
Quote by mentalwarfare
I would start by learning your pentantonic and blues scales. Learn the shapes and intervals of the scales and practice applying these scales all over the fretboard. When your comfortable with those scales move onto the modes and do the same thing.

No. Don't do this.
The pentatonic scale is directly derived from the major scale, and modes can be very confusing without a good knowledge of diatonic theory. Learn the major scale inside and out before moving on to anything else.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.