is it possible to put a distortion/overdrive switch and gain knob/pot in a guitar? if it is, how hard of a mod would it be and how much do you reckon it would cost?

thanks in advance
Im not sure about cost or how hard, but i guess you could make your own overdirve/distortion pedal, and mount it into your guitar with some heavy routing and stuff and then put a knob or switch on the guitar with holes..

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
If you have the tools, i reckon you could do it for $30.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Technically it costs as much as buying a distortion pedal you like, taking out the circuitry and connecting the input and output jack cables to part of your guitar's circuit to the output jack, then having the gain strength/whatever in the pedal's circuit connected to a control pot routed into the guitars front. Then replacing the pedal's on/off switch with a toggle switch like a pickup selector switch.

That would require lots of routing though.

For a more practical solution, hopefully someone else will reply, but Matt Bellamy has done some crazy modding (or had it done for him more like), such as having a KORG 'KAOSS Pad' fitted to some of his custom Maton(?) guitars.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/modboards.html

but I heard they arnt great. But when you only have so much space to work with what do you expect. lol. Make sure that you have enough room in your control cavity to be able to fit the board and a 9volt
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
thanks for your help. I dunno if i'll do this, it'd be a project for an old guitar when i have parts to spare