I'm looking to get a bass head. It'll probably be for a 2x12 cab that I'll end up putting together with my dad. Thing is, as much as I know about guitar heads, I don't know anything about bass heads. Are there any going suggestions? Thanks!
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
wattage?
price range?
playing style?
etc...
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
Depends on how much your cab will handle power-wise, if you want an all-tube, tube preamp, solid state, etc.

Also, a price range would be helpful.

But a few brands to start looking at would be GK, Ampeg and Carvin.
I'm assuming you know how to build a bass cab, so I'm not going to go into the fact that it's not as simple as a guitar cab, and you need bass speakers, so don't automatically go with 12"s like you would on guitar, and you'll probably want around 500-700 watts power handling with it... Oops... Anyway, for heads, if you're on a budget, (which, if you're building your own cab you probably are) there's no better than Carvin for that powerful, clean, characteristically characterless tone of a solid state. For a more modern sound look at GK and for an old school sound look at (ugh) Ampeg. They're both mucho expensive, but they both master their relative genres. The reason I recommend the Carvin first, is it doesn't have a genre. They don't sound like any one thing, they can be shaped to sound like anything you want.
Can you give more specs about the 212? I mean, guitar speakers only have frequency responses of around 75Hz-6.5kHz which is miserable for bass, and they're usually too weak for bass. This may sound dumb, but make SURE they're bass speakers you're using. Triple check!

Also, you BETTER have a tweeter in there. It's a MUST. Without a tweeter, it doesn't really matter what head you get - it'll sound like it's covered in a blanket anyway.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by GravyFish
I'm looking to get a bass head. It'll probably be for a 2x12 cab that I'll end up putting together with my dad. Thing is, as much as I know about guitar heads, I don't know anything about bass heads. Are there any going suggestions? Thanks!

A single 15" speaker will cost less than 2x12"s and will produce a much better Bass response.
Two high wattge 12"s will also be much heavier than a single 15", I would sugest that you get an Eminenence Kappa 15" 400 watt which only about $10 more expensive than Kappa 12" so 2x12s would be nearly twice ths cost of a single 15"
You would then be able to download the cab design specs for the speaker, for tuning ports use 4" plastic drain pipe (don't pinch your neighbours).
With the money saved on the speaker you would be able to buy a cheap tweeter and crossover.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Sorry if the whole 2x12 thing sounded dumb. My dad's old company made speakers and cabs, so he'll be helping me out with that. I just need advice on a head to buy, generally in terms of brand suggestions. I just don't know much of anything about bass heads.

I can probably spend around $500-$800 (I'm not sure how much that is compared to the prices of bass heads). I know what the advantages/disadvantages of Tube vs. Solid State are in guitar amps, but I'm not sure if the same rules apply to their bass counterparts.

Bleh, I'll just go do more research.
I Japanese Fenders
Last edited by GravyFish at Feb 7, 2008,
For bass the difference between solid state and tube is basically summed up as: solid state= modern+hi-fi+(classic-3)+characterless (some desire this greatly in an amplifier). Tube=classic. So if you want a purely classic tone and not much else, grab a tube amp, if you want a versatile amplifier, grab a solid state.

As for the price range, the amp I recommend to you is going to HUGELY be affected by the ohmage of your cabinet and the wattage handling.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
For bass the difference between solid state and tube is basically summed up as: solid state= modern+hi-fi+(classic-3)+characterless (some desire this greatly in an amplifier). Tube=classic. So if you want a purely classic tone and not much else, grab a tube amp, if you want a versatile amplifier, grab a solid state.

As for the price range, the amp I recommend to you is going to HUGELY be affected by the ohmage of your cabinet and the wattage handling.

Right then. I'll figure that out before I try and discuss this more. Thanks for your input
I Japanese Fenders
Carvin, You want high quality powering your stuff. Ashdown if your into bassyer stuff. Ampeg if you like the "ampeg" sound. GK if you want to be able to really funkafy your playing. Or Peavey if you want more high-quality.

Overall I would suggest Carvin or Peavey.
Peaveys sound a bit "meat and potatoes" to me. A bit bland and average.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
i suggest a used Ampeg SVT, if you can find one in your price range. there is a reason most venues, that own their own equipt choose Ampeg. there are cheaper alternatives available, but none sound better than Ampeg. imo, Ampeg is to bass amps, as the Fender Jazz is to bass guitars. they define the subject of bass amplification.
They define the bass tone of times long gone by. Just as Fender Jazz basses are no longer THE option for electric basses, Ampegs are not THE option for bass amplification. While they may have that classic rock tone cornered, I find they kind of end there. There's no real modern tones I can ever get out of an all tube Ampeg head. Solid states were the wave of the future back in the 80s and now they're the head cheese, and for a good reason.
But any SVTPRO head other than the SVT2PRO head should be capable of getting a great hi-fi sound (assuming you have the right cabs), especially the SVT6PRO.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Tell you what. Does anyone have suggestions for bass combos or half-stacks? I mean, bugger the cab, I guess I can always just buy one. I mean, I can probably spend whatever it takes, I just need something that makes a decent amount of sound, something noisier than a practice amp but that doesn't shake the foundations of my house loose.

I play classic rock stuff mostly, not so much funk or metal, but some jazz too.
I Japanese Fenders