1) so i put a SD sh-6 in my epi lp, and its a bit muddy for me. can anyone recommend a good passive pickup, good for hard rock/metal, but with some versatility.

2) i will be building a telecaster soon, and i need a good bridge passive humbucker (single coil sized, will be tapped) with great versatility, but again, leaning more towards the hard rock side, but with the ability to scream.

i play out of a peavey all tube amp

thanks all
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Feb 7, 2008,
DiMarzio Breeds are my favorite passive pickups bar none. I recommend them to anyone asking about versatile pickups. I've had them in my Epi Les Paul and they sounded damn fine. I've always said the Breed neck is THE best damn passive neck pickup out there and while the bridge may not be absolutely number one for the bridge in every guitar it was clear as a bell in the les paul. When I had the Breed neck in my RGA121 it was the greatest neck sound I've ever heard from a guitar. Now that I have a set of Breeds in my USA Jackson SLS they not only match really well with that guitar but the bridge pickup, with the tone knob turned down 1/4, gives this absolutely wicked sound under distortion.

I can't really give you any advice on the single coil sized humbuckers as I don't really understand the reasoning behind humbucker pickups in a tele. But, hey... that's just me

EDIT: Oh, and just for future reference "tapping" is actually a faux pas when it comes to humbuckers. The right term is "splitting".
Last edited by Johnny Two Tone at Feb 7, 2008,
If you don't mind me asking, what are you going to do with the SH-6?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
well i want a humbucker in the tele so it can still handle some metal and hard rock. im not going for 2 guitars with completely different sounds, im gonna keep my lp downtuned and the tele in standard, and with extra versatility. but basically what im looking for in my lp is a few steps down from the sh-6, while still being able to handle distortion, downtuning, but still has good high end.

and if i do replace the sh-6 i will be selling it, pm me if ur interested.

edit: i was just listening to some sound bytes, and what about dimarzio d sonic, or x2n? anyone have experience with them?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Feb 7, 2008,
D-Sonic is nice, but not for what you want...the X2N is wank as far as I'm concerned.

I third the Breed
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
We all have our opinions on PUPS, but if you have an EPI Les Paul, I have two words for you. Dirty Fingers! You play hard rock and metal and want versatility, trust me on this, Dirty Fingers. I have a SET in my Les Paul and they are awesome. Some people will tell you that they are for the Bridge only, they are wrong. Put a set in, you will not regret it. You get super clean cleans from them and flat out angry distortion. they are the highest output pickup Gibson makes. You can go with other pickups like Bareknuckles, or some custom pickups, but to me, who else would know how to make a pickup for a Les Paul better than Gibson? They are about $99 a pickup at most places. PM me if you have any more questions.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
^Or you could get fully customized pickups at www.highorderpickups.com for $70.

Gibson = Overpriced.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
^Or you could get fully customized pickups at www.highorderpickups.com for $70.

Gibson = Overpriced.

Maybe so. It looks like the Asymmetric wind with the Alnico 5's are the closest to the dirty fingers based on the specs.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
i heard dirty fingers were also a little muddy...is that not true?

also, i dont care about cleans, and i dont need a set, im more than happy with the epi neck pickup, especially cause i hardly ever use it.

i did listen to sound clips of the breed as well and im definitely not denouncing it, i just want some more opinions. so far thats on top though.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
No, dirty fingers are high output. I don't get any mud at all, but my setup might be different than yours. The only issue that I have with the DF is that they are so high output that I have to use perfect technique. it will pickup every sound, so if I am sloppy when sliding up and down the frets, I can hear my fingers sliding on the frets. They are mean as heck. I am going to try to put up a video clip at some point. Maybe I can do it this weekend.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
I don't really understand the reasoning behind humbucker pickups in a tele. But, hey... that's just me

Cause Tele's look awesome, but don't sound great for rock music at all.
I used a Semore Duncan lil 59 in my tele in the bridge. Sounds very nice and is super versitle, it can go from jazz to rock in an instant, and can get pretty nasty as well. It works for me, but I wish I would have tried the hot rails.
yea the little 59 and hot rails were the ones i was looking at on the SD side. i was also looking at the dimarzio tone zone and chopper t. the tone zone looks cool cause it has a lot of mid and bass, so when i "split" it, it will gain all that treble back as opposed to getting one with already a lot of treble. is this assumption correct?

zoomzilla, def let me kno when that video is up. thanks.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
You want a truly phenomenal pickup for modern metal get the custom shop Seymour Duncan El Diablo. It costs close to double the price of other PUs straight from SD and is basically impossible to find else where but I'll be damned if you aren't satisfied.