I am wondering for some time now which 50w amp to buy.

At the moment i own Fender Frontman 15R (i am quite pleased with it - but it IS just a practice amp), and now i need some more juice for the gigs!

I play hard rock, and a little bit of heavy metal, and i like the sound of most guitarist who use Marshalls, but is that the right choice?
Probably a JCM 800 then, peavey windsor seems like a competitor as well, reports have it they break easily though
yeah that JCM 800 combo would be perfect, thats all i can think of. i was going to suggest the vox valvetronix, but i'd say the JCM would be better.
Quote by Gucunja
I play hard rock, and a little bit of heavy metal, and i like the sound of most guitarist who use Marshalls, but is that the right choice?

You're being recommended all tube Marshalls, which is the type of Marshall you like the sound of. Steer clear of the Marshall MG or ATV series of amps (which I fear is what you're talking about).

Depending on your budget, and their availability, a Traynor YCV 50 Blue or Orange Rocker would also be a great choice for that "Marshall sound." Without knowing how much you have to spend, it's tough to suggest anything.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I Have A 50wt Marshall JCM800 But An Original From The 80s And Its Amazing But On The Other Hand I Also Have A Peavey Bandit Which Is Amazing But If I Had To Choose Between Them It Would Be The Peavey.
Setup:

Ibanez Gio
Bc Rich Warlock
Fender Squier Telecaster Deluxe Custom
Peavey Bandit
1982 JCM 800 Marshall 50WT Amplifier
Digitech Death Metal Distortion
Digitech Rp200a
^ The JCM must need retubing or is broken, because the OD on the marshall really set the standard for hard rock and power metal in the 80s. Even today Marshall is making a hotroded version that pulls out all the stops and will get as high gain as the boogies and 5150. The bandit is a decent soild state, but will not compare to the awesomness of the JCM 800 in its full glory. Now on the clean channel the bandit might have an edge, but who in the world buys a marshall for cleans?? No one I can think of.
Quote by fretsonfire74
yeah that JCM 800 combo would be perfect, thats all i can think of.

This'll sound stupid, but i didn't find jcm800 combo, help please...
Quote by Gucunja
This'll sound stupid, but i didn't find jcm800 combo, help please...

They aren't available anymore. You have to go used. Check eBay and your local Craigslist, if you're in the States.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
slatsmania said: Steer clear of the Marshall MG or ATV series of amps (which I fear is what you're talking about).

IS it the sound or the reliability, or something else?
Quote by Gucunja
slatsmania said: Steer clear of the Marshall MG or ATV series of amps (which I fear is what you're talking about).

Both. If you plan on using it for jamming/gigging, go for the Marshall tubes. People on here have complaints about the reliability of the Marshall solid-states, and the tone is also not great for gigging (too digital/clippy when cranked, doesn't cut through too well).
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by Gucunja

both. AND they're overpriced.
OK... First i plan on spending some 400euros max! :S

I do want an amp for gigs, and i hope to find a nice combo
The Bandit clean channel is absolute crap, i'd prefer my JCM 800's clean channel over it any day
i have a marshall avt, is ok. not amazing. befor you all kill me for owning one i bought it on the cheap second hand!! and im not able to save up for proper tone, being a broke ass student.

go get a marshall tube amp and you will be set
Quote by slatsmania
You're being recommended all tube Marshalls, which is the type of Marshall you like the sound of. Steer clear of the Marshall MG or ATV series of amps (which I fear is what you're talking about).

Depending on your budget, and their availability, a Traynor YCV 50 Blue or Orange Rocker would also be a great choice for that "Marshall sound." Without knowing how much you have to spend, it's tough to suggest anything.

I've tried the AVT before,it's pretty cool for metal.Plus,I played it through an MT-2( ) and I was expecting for horrible shrill tone but it was really nice and bonecrushing.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic