Page 1 of 2
its pretty stupid but i had an arguement with one guy in my class and its really driving me nuts.

is there a difference between the terms punk and punk rock?
he tells me punk is punk and punk rock is rock-influenced punk......

and i already know how stupid it is so i dont need sarcasm to point it out for me
no difference...different terminology...in summary pop-punk is different...but punk rock isnt...and also
that guy is a tool. dont forget to call him one for me...add suck my dick for good measure.
Quote by Alex The Red

If it doesn't have to do with tube amps or sex most of us don't really care..

Quote by Kutanmoogle

Looks like Lars Ulrich decided to become a hacker.

Quote by aaron6890
penises FTW

not in the gay way

<.<
>.>

Quote by morrison27
no difference...different terminology...in summary pop-punk is different...but punk rock isnt...and also
that guy is a tool. dont forget to call him one for me...add suck my dick for good measure.

How insightful of you...

No difference. Punk and punk rock are the same exact thing. Punk is influenced by rock, seeing how it IS rock.

People were just so punx they didn't need to say that rock part.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
I use punk and punk rock interchangeably
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
I use Punk-Rock, because it makes more sense to me. And I call "punks" Punkrockers. Unless I'm talking about the shysty bastards who take it in the pooper in prison. They're Punks.

Same with Metal. Some call it metal, some affix a prefix to it eg. Heavy, Death, Black, Thrash, NWOB, Power, etc.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
i consider punk an ideal outside of music, the idea of unity and friendship that should run throughout the punk rock scene, that's punk to me.

Punk rock is just a music genre.
There isnt really a difference. Its all a matter of opinion. I can see bands who take more of a influence from rock being considered "punk-rock" and solely punk bands being classified as punk. But i think its stupid.
Well "punk rock" can only refer to the music, and "punk" can refer to the music, the culture, the style, etc.
yeah, exactly. for a while i thought my friend was referring to punk/rocknroll bands like rocket from the crypt. but he was actually referring to green day and my chemical romance... nvm, forget it, this is a lame question. thx alot for the serious replys though
Rocket From The Crypt are not a punk band, BTW.
They are indierockers (and Pitchfork, the band before RFTC were crappy hardcore).

Rocket From The Tombs, the pre-Dead Boys band, on the other hand, would qualify as a punk rock band.

There is a huge difference between punk and punk rock.
Every time I try out a lead guitarist that difference is driven home to me, quite painfully.

Your average guitarist "thinks" punk is three chords played as fast as possible.
Anyone can do that.

Then I explain to them about the fundamentals of Johnny Thunders style punk rock, i.e. about minor thirds, pentatonics and Chuck Berry style leads.
Not everyone can do that.

The best way to show someone the difference between Punk and Punk Rock is to play 2 Ramones songs for them.
"Chinese Rocks" is punk rock.
"Animal Boy" is punk.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Quote by johnnynemo
Rocket From The Crypt are not a punk band, BTW.
They are indierockers (and Pitchfork, the band before RFTC were crappy hardcore).

Rocket From The Tombs, the pre-Dead Boys band, on the other hand, would qualify as a punk rock band.

There is a huge difference between punk and punk rock.
Every time I try out a lead guitarist that difference is driven home to me, quite painfully.

Your average guitarist "thinks" punk is three chords played as fast as possible.
Anyone can do that.

Then I explain to them about the fundamentals of Johnny Thunders style punk rock, i.e. about minor thirds, pentatonics and Chuck Berry style leads.

The best way to show someone the difference between Punk and Punk Rock is to play 2 Ramones songs for them.
"Chinese Rocks" is punk rock.
"Animal Boy" is punk.

Leave it to Nemo to apply his own arbitrary definitions to a simple concept.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by johnnynemo

Probably right. But maybe the reason is: The Dolls sometimes sound like ****. Though on a newer live album I got from the internet (legally) theysound like cheap The Damned.

But Punkrock: People always told me Pennywise or Bad religion are punkrock and punk is ........now I got no example you know........it´s simply punk
Quote by axeslash
Leave it to Nemo to apply his own arbitrary definitions to a simple concept.

The only simple concept that always applies around here is that you are an idiot who is always wrong.

There is a huge difference between punk and punk rock, as anyone with half a brain can tell when listening to the Ramones songs I mentioned.

The fact that your feeble little mind can't tell the difference, is your own problem.

I suppose ska and reggae are exactly the same to you, as well?

Here's something to help clean your brain out.

Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I use Punk-Rock, because it makes more sense to me. And I call "punks" Punkrockers. Unless I'm talking about the shysty bastards who take it in the pooper in prison. They're Punks.

Same with Metal. Some call it metal, some affix a prefix to it eg. Heavy, Death, Black, Thrash, NWOB, Power, etc.

But most of those prefixes are actual sub genres in metal, "punk rock" is not a subgenre of "punk" or vice versa.
Quote by johnnynemo
The only simple concept that always applies around here is that you are an idiot who is always wrong.

Maybe I´m totally wrong, but those subgenres are always spongy, so it´s wasted time to dispute about something noone has ever made clearly
Quote by johnnynemo

There is a huge difference between punk and punk rock, as anyone with half a brain can tell when listening to the Ramones songs I mentioned.

The fact that your feeble little mind can't tell the difference, is your own problem.

I suppose ska and reggae are exactly the same to you, as well?

Here's something to help clean your brain out.

To say that punk rock and punk are two different musical concepts is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say Nemo.

You see Nemo, long ago people had a huge genre-labeling epiphany. Although the technical term for the music is "Punk Rock," people discovered that if you said "Punk," 99.999999% of the people knew you were talking about "Punk Rock" (the exception being Nemo.)

So it came to be that "Punk Rock" was colloquially known as "Punk."

Where you get this silly notion that people decided that simple songs and songs that are slightly more complicated needed a different name was beyond me. I thought the Punk Rock movement was about going against the typical classification of music and rejecting the labelism that dominated the culture at the time, but I guess I'm wrong, since I follow the Punk movement, which is a completely different social and musical movement.

Maybe you aren't thinking clearly, this might help you.
Last edited by axeslash at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by axeslash
Where you get this silly notion that people decided that simple songs and songs that are slightly more complicated needed a different name was beyond me. I thought the Punk Rock movement was about going against the typical classification of music and rejecting the labelism that dominated the culture at the time, but I guess I'm wrong, since I follow the Punk movement, which is a completely different social and musical movement.

Lavazza seemed to understand it perfectly.

Too bad that clueless posers like you can't.
Guess you're too busy "thinking" about things, such as violence, which is the last resort of a feeble mind.

Because you're slow, I'll explain it again.
Try and follow along.
I'll even use visual aids to help you.

I am trying out a new guitarist for my band.

He comes in and says "What do you want me to play?"
I say "Punk rock."

He asks "Like this?"
(DRI "Tear It Down") 3 chords played fast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCcc4C_sCFE&feature=related

I say "No. Like this."
(New York Dolls "Personality Crisis") Pentatonics, minor thirds, Chuck Berry leads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2-iwHbnXXo

He says "Oh..... punk ROCK. I don't know how to do that. I'm friends with Axeslash and we just listen to Green Day all day. He told me that was punk rock. Now I see the difference. Axeslash is a tool. Thank you, Nemo."
Quote by sargasm

I see what nemo is saying...but...DRI already has a sub-genre that better describes it, hardcore or thrash. as i see it, punk rock is punk.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Quote by johnnynemo
I am trying out a new guitarist for my band.
He comes in and says "What do you want me to play?"
I say "Punk rock."
He asks "Like this?"
(DRI "Tear It Down") 3 chords played fast
I say "No. Like this."
(New York Dolls "Personality Crisis") Pentatonics, minor thirds, Chuck Berry leads
Oh..... punk ROCK. I don't know how to do that. I'm friends with Axeslash and we just listen to Green Day all day. He told me that was punk rock. Now I see the difference. Axeslash is a tool. Thank you, Nemo."

that's the difference between punk and hardcore punk. punk and punk rock are the same thing unless you want to claim that a "punk" is someone who listens to "punk rock," but that's no good because you could also claim that a "punk rocker" listen to "punk," so in the end, they're just synonyms.

'tis life
and the new york dolls are technically not punk either...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

Okay Nemo I understand. You are the punk rock authority who has the power to define what each individual phrase means as it corresponds to music. I'm just a poser because I don't fit your definition of punk rock.

I'll go back to listening to my inferior punk music.
Fear not, GreenDayChris, Brian is here.

While being very amusing, Nemo is wrong. He is confusing the jargon with what he uses in everday life.

Simply put, Punk rock was the associated musical genre to the punk fashion.

That's really ALL there is too it.

Listen to any early broadcast of a genre, the music is shown as "punk rock", in a early clash interview, bless their cotton socks, are referred to as a punk rock band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh3EmM7b9oY

Eg.) the clash - complete control ("punk rocker!")

Unfortunately, because Nemo is wrong, I have to clarify.

As the genre developed, "punk rock" became known as "punk", as a sort of shorthand.

Because Nemo is very silly, he differentiates between old punk and new punk by calling the old punk by its correct title, when in fact they are one and the same.

It's incredibly anal, and something that only a tool would go along with and bother to differentiate between.

Interviewer: So you're a punk band?
Tiny Timmy Terrible: No, we're a PUNK ROCK band!

Oh, misguided Timmy...

Whilst on the subject, the idea of 3 chords has always been there, it didn't suddenly develop (Here's a chord. here's another. here's a third. start a band!)

Plus dolls music is stupidly easy, some of the later stuff is much much harder (check out "vicious circle" by abrasive wheels - not the 2004 version, how the hell do they do it that tight and fast?)

Not to mention the fact that it has better lead guitar than something Thunders would do. That's right, thunders is crap, because he is sloppy and slow. ( I prefer Cheetah Chrome, because he slightly anticipates the beat.)

Seriously, do you not think that the New York Dolls just play 3 chords over and over again?

It's just as simple, if not more so. And still boring, might I add?

"Rhythm and Blues... and what god hell use is that, man?" - Johnny Rotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo9fXiVAleQ&feature=related
I just think anyone who says "punk rock" sounds like a complete retard. There's not really any difference though, except that punk can apply to more than music.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
The rock is kind of implied when saying punk
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by SuperBlob
I just think anyone who says "punk rock" sounds like a complete retard. There's not really any difference though, except that punk can apply to more than music.

Learn to read.

The retardedness lies in differentiating the two as separate musical terms.
Quote by axeslash
How insightful of you...

No difference. Punk and punk rock are the same exact thing. Punk is influenced by rock, seeing how it IS rock.

People were just so punx they didn't need to say that rock part.

I actually don't like "rock" as a word for a genre...I just say "ponx", and pronounce it that way. *-)
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Learn to read.

...?
I said that there was no difference, just that punk has a wider range of meanings (eg, a person, a culture, etc.)
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
That part you got right, thank god, but:

I just think anyone who says "punk rock" sounds like a complete retard.

It DOESn'T MATTER!!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Learn to read.

Thank you Brian.
I'm afraid I'll have to agree with Brian and aXe on this. Nemo's argument is sufficiently amusing, however.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

It DOESn'T MATTER!!

I know. It just sounds silly is all I'm saying
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
yeah i just think people got tired of adding rock at the end of Punk. its called lazzzzynesss.
i mean when your having a conversation about grind, nvm i need a better example.

Oh here we go, when you are having a conversation about hardcore punk, how many people drop the 'punk.'
And i dont mean bane or new stuff i just mean MDC or whoever.
axeslash, check your email.

As for the punk vs. punk rock argument, it's like classifying polygons: a shape with 4 congruent sides and 4 90 degree angles can be considered both a square and a rectangle, but a polygon with 4 90 degree angles and 2 pairs of opposite congruent sides can be considered a rectangle but this doesn't necessarily make it a square!
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
yes i totally agree with axe and brian. to me, punk would always just be a short form of punk rock when it comes to referring to music.

and rocket from the crypt isnt an indie band!
Nemo, for someone so old, you really do make very immature attacks on people.

Now, to say something about the only thing that interests me in this thread, I really don't see how you can call Rocket from the Crypt indie rock. I wouldn't say they're punk, but they don't fit the indie genre at all.

Just for the record, I'm a HUGE RFTC fan.

By the way, Nemo, if you're trying to say that the New York Dolls' music is technically challenging at all you're really not making any sense at all.
Last edited by hardrock1315 at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by recklessnick
rocket from the crypt to me is as punk as how strung out is punk

I wouldn't call Strung Out punk. Also, they sound nothing like each other. And, Strung Out sucks while Rocket from the Crypt is one of the best bands ever.
Brian is my forum hero
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Page 1 of 2