Page 1 of 2
Idea from the "things you hate" thread.

Why do you hate metal (if you do). I've heard nothing but bull**** reasons so far.

(Edited for clarity's sake)
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Last edited by x_themetalfan_x at Feb 7, 2008,
I don't hate metal per se, but I hate how you have to meet these certain requirments to be considered "metal". It really limits the capabilities of the Genre IMO.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by buckethead_jr

I'm serious though. Most of the reasons are like this:

"It has no feeling"

"Emotionless"

"Just a show-off competition"

etc.
Rig

This metal pipe fell of my foot once. Fuck metal.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
Mostly just jealously from lesser players.

Statements like that. I don't mind some metal but it's the attitude of many of the fans that ruin it for me. If a band is successful they have "sold out". Also the idea that there are so many boundaries that make a band not metal. A lot of the bands don't care, so why should the fans? If it's good music and you like it, that's all there is to it.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by alliwant
Statements like that.

I refer you to my above post. It's not that I think of all non-metal players as lesser players, but that people incapable of playing at the level of metal players are more likely to hate it out of simple jealousy.
Rig

Quote by x_themetalfan_x
I refer you to my above post. It's not that I think of all non-metal players as lesser players, but that people incapable of playing at the level of metal players are more likely to hate it out of simple jealousy.

FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I have to say, I've never come across anyone hating metal because of that, but I suppose I can see where you're coming from.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

It's been my personal experience. I'm not saying it's universal. That's why I made the thread, but evidently people can't see that.

EDIT: OKAY! I GIVE!!! HERE'S A REWORDING:

Why do you hate metal (if you do). I've heard nothing but bull**** reasons so far.
Rig

Quote by x_themetalfan_x
Idea from the "things you hate" thread.

I want to hear from all you people who hate metal. Why do you hate it? I just hear the most idiotic reasons, and I really have yet to hear a good one. Mostly just jealously from lesser players.

I don't owe you justification, it just isn't my style,
I'm not jealous, that is stupid, and you frankly are a bit of a douche for even suggesting that

I don't hate it, I just don't exactly enjoy it the way some do. mmkay?
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Sorry man but from what you've said in this thread it sounds like you're talking down to us all...I recomend you stop using phrases like this or people will start to think you're being stuck up.

"jealousy from lesser players"
"simple jealousy"
"evidently"

Metalfan. You are not my hero.
Quote by bjoern_swe

Enemies Of Metal, Your Death Is Our Reward!!!!!!!
Quote by SchecterFreak
like i said..i feel like a dumass... oh!!! man you are refering to your abreviated name wow..i really feel stupid *blushes* god... sorry USHO.

man i feel like a **** now...
I enjoy certain "metal" bands. I am more of an alternative rock kind of guy, but I listen to a wide range of music depending on mood. The thing I don't enjoy about it is the lower tunings. I know not all metal is composed using lower tunings, but there are the ones out there that do. It, to me, exhausts my ears as I am forced to keep attention of the low frequencies. I am unsure about how much sense I am making, but take it how you will.
i r not one of them lol ppl hate metal round here on the northern beaches its all pop punk techno rap and hardcore the second the words omfg check gorgoroth out or something its leik check the "emo" kid out
I am me. Live with it.
i hate metal when it has poor production quality - you can't expect everyone to like it if it sounds like crap from a first impression
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
#1 - awful guitar tones
#2 - absolutely no groove (except for a select few bands which are awesome)
#3 - i can't see past the egos and how everyone seems to feel the need to look exactly the same as every other metal band. there's nothing original about powerchords, fingertapping and straight double-kick solos
Quote by alliwant
Sorry man but from what you've said in this thread it sounds like you're talking down to us all...I recomend you stop using phrases like this or people will start to think you're being stuck up.

"jealousy from lesser players"
"simple jealousy"
"evidently"

Metalfan. You are not my hero.

Like I care. I edited my post, and I'm sorry if my vocabulary makes you feel insecure.
Rig

Quote by Moontard
it's pretty lame

Way to back yourself up. Yet another **** reason to add to my list. Thanks.
Rig

Well, it's angry, aggressive, loud music, and I'm a laid back kind of guy. That's why I like my Floyd and my Miles Davis.

x_themetalfan_x - "Mostly just jealously from lesser players."

This sort of stuff doesn't help, either.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
i love metal, but what i hate is those one string riffs that just go on and on. i think its usually in hardcore rather than metal, and the only other thing is when they just blur out notes for the simple reason that they can do it, just because you can, doesn't mean it sounds good.
Who cares why people hate metal??? Are you planning on changing the genre according to our disapproval?
Nope, just curiosity. I think it once killed a cat, so I'd best be careful.
Rig

It just doesn't sound good to me.
It just doesn't please my ears.

It's just the same when you listen to a band/genre you don't like.
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

*smooths mair and straightens shirt*

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
t3gan and Bec > Tegan and Sara.
dont hate it but its jst doesnt do it for me
i also cant stand the train of thought that metal guitar playing is the be all and end all of what classifys as amazing guitar playing and the often stuck up attitudes of its listeners who buy into this idea (metalfan)
meh whatever maybe thats just my jealousy talking...
I love metal.
And I personally think that the best guitarplayers, metalguitarists are, they know lot of musictheory and stuff...
Maybe some silly examples : Alexi Laiho, Jeff Loomis, ZAKK WYLDE (I know he can play many styles...) Thats my opinion...
- LTD Eclipse 1000 w/SD's
- Jackson Dk 2 Dinky transparent red w/SD's
- Marshall MG 50 DFX

ENGL fund €120/€1941.5
Quote by t3gan
It just doesn't sound good to me.
It just doesn't please my ears.

It's just the same when you listen to a band/genre you don't like.

Thank you! Finally hearing some sense (there was some earlier on too).

I just would rather not hear mindless flaming of my beloved grim child of a genre. I guess this was more of a probe, if you will, to see the responses to the question.
Rig

Quote by x_themetalfan_x
Way to back yourself up. Yet another **** reason to add to my list. Thanks.

look, I won't pick fights, I won't provoke, but

a) you can't decide what people like, and they don't need a reason for not liking something

b) you aren't helping your cause, just accept that not everyone will, or has to like metal

just take solace in knowing you are different, and have individual style apart from the rest, and don't insult people who don't like it just because it makes you feel uncomfortable knowing not everyone likes what you do.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Carswell98
look, I won't pick fights, I won't provoke, but

a) you can't decide what people like, and they don't need a reason for not liking something

b) you aren't helping your cause, just accept that not everyone will, or has to like metal

just take solace in knowing you are different, and have individual style apart from the rest, and don't insult people who don't like it just because it makes you feel uncomfortable knowing not everyone likes what you do.

Did you look at the reason he gave me? Obviously not.

Oh, and it doesn't make me uncomfortable. If anything, I like it.
Rig

* I don't connect with a lot of the lyrical themes
* Most of the metal heads that I know are weird and hanging out with them is awkward
* A lot of the vocalists sound awful
* The whole rock star/guitar god mentality is lame
* High gain sounds like crap to me
* Too precise
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
Did you look at the reason he gave me? Obviously not.

Oh, and it doesn't make me uncomfortable. If anything, I like it.

his post was uncalled for, but that doesn't mean he's wrong, because it isn't his taste right? and it is yours

and if you like it, why make this thread? isn't this just pointless then?
like I said, we absolutely do not have to justify not liking something

I don't like mushrooms, why?, because I simply do not like the way they taste, and it shouldn't have to go any further than that
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

I'm a metal fan myself but it's not hard to see why some people would not appreciate the genre. Many people do not like screaming and the moment they hear screams they don't need to hear anything else. Some people hate the aggressive feeling in the music. Others may dislike it because most metal is simple and/or repetitive.

Although it would be foolish to say all metal is the same (or any genre for that matter) it's clear that most metal follows the same formula of palm muted open notes, palm muted power chords, power chords, open notes and pinch harmonics. Metal solos are often simple tapping or scale runs played at high tempos. It's really not that complicated. Obviously you have more technical branches of metal (which is usually just faster notes anyway...) but most metal is fairly simple.

Metal is fun though. I don't like people who "hate" genres, I feel they're just being ridiculous. I find it hard not to like parts of all genres.
I'm a big metal fan, but I hate the restrictiveness of it. For example, my band could be considered "Blackened Thrash With Death Inspired Vocals And Progressive Elements Added In"

We call ourselves Extreme Metal.

This goes for a lot of styles of music, though, so it's not a reason to hate Metal, it's a reason to hate all styles of music.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
How about people not hating Metal due to Musical taste, not everyone has the same likes in music. I can't stand metal because I just don't like listening to it, it doesnt please my ears, thats all. Im not going to say they aren't good guitarists/musicians, I just don't like the music.

I think that is more than enough of a reason^
Quote by RockerPseudonym
I'm a big metal fan, but I hate the restrictiveness of it. For example, my band could be considered "Blackened Thrash With Death Inspired Vocals And Progressive Elements Added In"

We call ourselves Extreme Metal.

This goes for a lot of styles of music, though, so it's not a reason to hate Metal, it's a reason to hate all styles of music.

I hate genres. I don't mind using something like "Symphonic Black Metal" to describe a sound of a band but I don't give a crap what their actual genre is. To me all Metal is Metal and the rest of the genre bull**** is just ways to tell someone what the band sounds like.
Oh... I made a Booboo... I don't hate Iron Maiden. I don't love Iron Maiden, but, unless you count metal forefathers, like Sabbath and Zeppelin, Maiden's about the only metal I like.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Metal created us... But that doesnt mean you have to like it. I think Metal has a lot of emotion in it, more than todays bands easily.
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
Quote by rastaman_Marley
#1 - awful guitar tones
#2 - absolutely no groove (except for a select few bands which are awesome)
#3 - i can't see past the egos and how everyone seems to feel the need to look exactly the same as every other metal band. there's nothing original about powerchords, fingertapping and straight double-kick solos

#1 how can u diss the tone of a triple rec in action (and other awesome guitar amps)
#2 metal is about the empowering "feel" you get and technical ability
#3 listened to opeth recently or COB or umm norther oh and some new metal bands that are more bass reliant ( don't flame me im making a statement) or even dream theater oh wait and blind guardian and manowar (enough bands that arent all power chords for ya ) oh have u heard decapitated recently VITEK destroys all metal drummer ohh im all double kick oh and look at some underground bands you fool some of the tightest most technical **** comes from them
I am me. Live with it.
Page 1 of 2