So, Im looking at buying a cheap strat copy then modding it with new pickups, new electrics, tuners etc and i was wondering which wood is better.

I have seen two guitars around the same price, similar quality except one is basswood with a maple neck and fretboard, and the other is poplar with a maple top and a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard.

any thoughts?
I would go with Poplar. Basswood would give you a warmer sound, which to me, is a no-no for a strat.
Quote by jake117
What about sustain?

Hit it with a 50lb sledge and see how long it sustains the force?

j/k Sustain isn't only effected by the wood type "even though this plays a pretty good driving force."

Also i agree with the vote for popular, strats being single coiled have a pretty bright tone, and a wood like popular just adds to it.
Quote by WickedBeast666
Hit it with a 50lb sledge and see how long it sustains the force?

j/k Sustain isn't only effected by the wood type "even though this plays a pretty good driving force."

Also i agree with the vote for popular, strats being single coiled have a pretty bright tone, and a wood like popular just adds to it.

A harder wood doesn't necceceraly mean a better tonewood. Basswood is quite soft and light, Whereas something like oak ( so i have read) makes a crap tonewood, despite being thick and hard.
I would go for basswood. While poplar is similar to alder in tone qualities, and thus a bit brighter, its grain makes it rather hard to finish without using large amounts of grain filler, which can be bad for the tone of the wood.
Quote by CJRocker
I would go for basswood. While poplar is similar to alder in tone qualities, and thus a bit brighter, its grain makes it rather hard to finish without using large amounts of grain filler, which can be bad for the tone of the wood.

The poplar guitar has a three tone sunburst finish but it has a maple top (cap?) which looks alright.

Oak isn't used for guitars, but when used for drums is a KILLER tonewood, especially for aggresive styles of drumming. I mod drums, I know this ****.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money