Hi,

I've just bought a Boss BD-2 distortion pedal. I've heard different things about how dist pedals should be used with amps so I thought I'd ask here.

Should the output of my pedal go to the "power amp in" of an amp - thereby skipping the tone/reverb section of the amp, or is it ok to plug it into the main input? That way I could still access any reverb/vib/tremolo sections (in this case a Fender Deluxe Reverb).

Is it a case of whichever way I think sounds best - or will one of the methods actually damage the amp?

Thanks

Jack
Plug it straight in, it'll sound pants if you bypass the preamp
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah, Distortion stompboxes are designed to be used as direct insterts. Just go from the output of the pedal to the input of the amp. Couldn't be simpler!
You could try to plug it in skipping the pre-amp... i think it's really just up to what you would prefer. but using the pre-amp would sound better is my prediction
Quote by sickman411
S-Gsus wept
thanks guys, you've confirmed what I already thought - surely you wouldn't want to bypass the workings of a really good amp just to get some distortion. was just a bit worried as a friend suggested plugging a pedal into the pre amp stage might be risky.

thanks

Jack
Correction...BD is a overdrive.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
tell your friend he's a plonker
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com