Hi guys

First post.

Essentially I've been offered a Marshall Mode 4 head and 4x12 cabinet for a price I'm never going to be able to say no to. Problem is, I have no room whatsoever for the cabinet. What I'm wanting to know is if it's worth buying the head and then searching out a smaller 1x12 cabinet or such like- would this be worth it, and if so any recommendations?

I've been using a Line 6 Spider II for a few years now- seems like a good time to upgrade.

Also, would the head be much use for playing through headphones with/recording directly from (to use with my Line 6 Toneport UX1)?

Apologies for asking what probably seems like pretty stupid questions- I've been playing for years, but my amp knowledge is minimal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Well no,

Smaller doesn't always mean worse. You just have to make sure the cab your looking at can match up sound wise or, as close as possible. The thing is, when you say you wanna go 1x12..your limiting your choices. I don't of many good 1x12 cabs. My advice is to try and go for the 4x12 and fit it somewhere...It WILL be well worth it in the end.

I also own a UX1. My advice is to mic the amp but since thats not what yous asked.... Yes, you wanna go line out into the UX1, go for it. Since you amp is the thing holding all the power your UX1 is just worrying about sound...no problem there.
If it doesn't have a headphone out jack, don't you headphones in to any other out jack. You will destroy your ears, especially if ir is tube. As for the cabinet I ould go for a 2x12 cab. It has much more power than a 1x12 and will be great for gigging.

Hope this helps!
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
If I didnt have room for a 4x12 i'd try for a 2x12. thankfully my room had the perfect spot for a 4x12 cab like, PERFECT SPOT.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
It's essentially going to be for bedroom use the majority of the time- I was just intending on taking the head to gigs and using the venue's cabinets. As long as I can get a quality tone at home then I'm happy. If a 1x12 could offer that then that would be me sorted.

How do power ratings work exactly? I see the amp is 350 watts but the Orange 1x12 I was looking at has a "power handling" of 60.

Is there a particular model anyone would recommend to compliment this head? I've been looking at this http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Amplifiers_&_Speakers/Cabinet_Speakers/p5945.aspx

Thanks
Quote by Ross_S
Hi guys

First post.

Essentially I've been offered a Marshall Mode 4 head and 4x12 cabinet for a price I'm never going to be able to say no to. Problem is, I have no room whatsoever for the cabinet. What I'm wanting to know is if it's worth buying the head and then searching out a smaller 1x12 cabinet or such like- would this be worth it, and if so any recommendations?

I've been using a Line 6 Spider II for a few years now- seems like a good time to upgrade.

Also, would the head be much use for playing through headphones with/recording directly from (to use with my Line 6 Toneport UX1)?

Apologies for asking what probably seems like pretty stupid questions- I've been playing for years, but my amp knowledge is minimal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

or you can buy a 2x12
I'd vote for trying to trade the Mode Four cab on Craigslist for someone's 2x12". Or trade it at GC.

Mind telling up what you're paying for the Mode Four?
NOOO.

The Mode Four is garbage.

Garbage I say.

Honestly not a considerable step from your Spider at all...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
NOOO.

Garbage I say.

I've been looking through this forum today and that seems to be the common opinion. If the head is as bad as it's made out to be there perhaps isn't much point.

I was offered £150 for head w/ footswitch and £200 for head w/cab and footswitch. Seemed a really good offer to me, considering the RRP.
I'd buy it, on the theory that you could get turn a profit off it, and there's a chance that it's a good amp, despite the naysayers. Frankly, I've never seen on in a shop in my life, and I don't think they're terribbly common. Hard to get a consensus on something uncommon.
Dont listen to the guy 3 posts up. The Mode 4 is DEFINITLY a considerable step-up from your Spider. The Mode 4 doesnt sound like a real Marshall cause its solid state, but its 10x better than your spider and overall its a good amp. You wont get the classic Marshall tube tone from it, but it recreates some older Marshall somewhat decently.

Alot of the people who are telling you it sucks is cause they dont know how to dial in a good sound. Try it out for yourself if you can, and see what you think of it. I live in the US so I dont know what £200 is converted to USD, but if you think it's a really good deal then I say go for it.

I'm not gonna lie though, a 4x12 is a bitch to carry around sometimes. It should come with wheels so you dont have to carry it everywhere, most places you can roll it, but its still heavy. I dont find the weight so much of a problem, but the size of it is for me. Theres a couple cars where it'll fit in the trunk so that ways easy. It'll also fit in almost off the backseats of most cars, but it takes alot of time to get it in and position it right and to take it out.

A good thing about it though, is that since it is solid state, it wont sound bad at low volumes, thats actally where it will sound best, when your practicing or using it about 1/4 of the volume or below. I'm not saying it will sound bad turned up though, because I dont know. Solid states generally sound alot worse the higher volume they are, but the Mode 4 head is 350 watts and I'm thinking it could handle a band practice or small - medium sized venue and still hold it's tone alright.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
^ BS, The Mode4 sounds sterile and lifeless. A major part in it being poor is the overpricing - which admittedly isn't a problem here - but IMO it sounds poor all around.
More sterile and lifeless than a Spider? I doubt it. Like I said, it wont sound as warm or full as a Marshall tube amp,but its not overall a bad amp. Maybe you didnt dial your settings it right when you played it, because I could get a pretty decent replica of a JCM800 type crunch when I used one.

Threadstarter, its about preference. I could go back and forth all day wth this guy about how the Mode 4 sounds. Ask whoevers offering it to you to try it out first, they shouldnt mind if your serious about buying it. Dont just dial in the settings you have or would use on your other amp, alot of people do that and then think "this amp sounds ****ty with my settings, its not for me". Different settings sound drastically different on some amps. Mess with the settings and different channels for awhile, and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find a tone you like.

And if you're gonna gig with it, get the footswitch.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
It isn't as sterile as a Spider, no.

But overall, it is a bad amp IMO.

And don't tell me I don't know how to EQ, thank you kindly.
Quote by MrCarrot
NOOO.

Garbage I say.

+1

Frankly, it's essentially a 350W MG. And as such a powerful amp, you're going to be extremely hard-pressed to find a 2x12 cab that can handle it's output (a pair of 175W speakers? ).

Save your money.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'm just going to hold onto my money and resist purchasing for now- maybe start saving for a good combo just cos of the lack of space.

Ready to start hunting out another bargain