I was reading Joe Satriani 's Guitar Secrets and hit upon this great chord progression he named "Endless Rain" (pain) and I decided I'd pick this piece to practice. However, there 're a few things I don't really understand, could anybody help explain?

1. Joe says the purpose of the piece is to help enabling you to solo in ALL 12 KEYS, how could this be possible?

2. I've also downloaded the tab (for UG) some of the fingerings look impossible (correct me if I'm wrong), also, the tab contains no open E whereas I've read here http://satriani.worldsgreatestguitarist.com/riffs/tears-in-the-rain/index.html that you should utilize open 1st string E in your chord fingerings?

Link to tab here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/joe_satriani/endless_rain_guitar_pro.htm
Last edited by nghienviec at Feb 7, 2008,
1) well it goes through all 12 keys, all the different chord changes it runs through in every other measure are a different key, in all giving you 24 keys of major and minor

2) the fingerings arent impossible, but yes they are hard. theyre sus chords, the major ones are imparticularly hard, it took me a couple days just to get the major sus chords that were below the 5th fret, it takes a little bit of work, but its a damn good work out
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Thanks so much for the reply. Still I'm wondering.

1. So does that mean with this 'Endless Rain' as a backing track I can just start with any scale and solo away?

2. Still, does this song make use of open E string in its chord fingerings? I really want to know for its an exercise from Satch, and usually anything he tells you to practice, there's a good reason behind it.
Quote by nghienviec
1. So does that mean with this 'Endless Rain' as a backing track I can just start with any scale and solo away?

no, i've not seen the lesson but I gather from the tab that it's an exercise to help you change key when you're soloing, playing the appropriate scale over each backing chord.