I want a Marshall, but don't have the money. And I don't want the MG. Can anyone tell me of a good substitute that has the nice tube crunch without the wallet crunch? Also looking for an AVT50HX, where would I find one, and on average, how much are they?
I got some good guitars, yo.
Quote by Don_Humpador
AVTs are crap too.

How much money do you have to spend?

+1
Take it from me, I own one! Not a particularly great amp the AVT 50. Save your cash and get a Peavey, that's what I'm doing!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
^ yep, is right, better than the MG but still cost more than their worth. A Peavey Classic 30 is a good choice, A Tryanor YC50 blue is another marshally sounding amp, its Hard to give advice without a budget.
It all depends on how much you wanna spend. Now i wouldn't say that AVT are total crap. they are way better than an MG but not really the real deal as far as tube tone. I have the AVT150 head with marshall 4x12 cab and for what its worth it sounds pretty good. not as good as my vox ac15 but then again they are 2 different types of tones but i digress. check out some palominos if you want a harder crunching tube amp or maybe some Traynor's. although people all over this forum swear by Peavey i personally hate them, but thats me. so tell us a budget and we can help from there.
I had an avt when i was younger and sold it. It sucked so bad. I couldnt get the tone i wanted out of that thing for nothing.
The AVT's are the best SOLID STATE Marshall you can buy. Unless you find a Mosfet or soemthing like that, that might be better. But the AVT isnt a bad amp, if you dont play it loud. It's not gonna sound like a all tube Marshall even at it's best, but that still doesnt make it bad.

I have an AVT, and a JCM900 2100 hea (first issue series, from late 89 or early 90) with a 1960A cab, and I still use the AVT when I'm practicing alone. Crazy, right? It's because i think it's still got a good tone when at a low volume. Really low volume, i mean not more than 1/4 of the way up. It sounds better than my JCM set on about .5 (thats how much it needs to be turned up to be at self-practice volumes, tubes amps are great). But thats because you need to crank a tube amp to get its best sound, and when the JCM s cranked it can blow anything the AVT can do way out of the water, beyond comparison.

It just depends what youre using it for. If its for self practice, I'd reccomend it if you want a taste of that Marshall sound. If you're using it for shows or with a band, then it might not be such a good idea. Sounds considerably worse when you turn it up to halfway, and gets worse from there. If you want something to use with a band, then get a tube combo. I hate to sound like 99% of the DONT GET A HALFSTACK ITS TOO LOUD, GET A PEAVEY/LANEY/TRAYNOR COMBO LIKE ME people on this forum, but in your case it might be your best option. Halfstacks arent too loud, it's just a tube combo can get to the volume you need it to be, and its cheaper than a halfstack. I dont like the sound of them more, its just a financial issue between them. You can find a good used one for around $500-700, which might be a little over your budget, I dont know what the AVT you want goes for. But if you're planning on using the AVT for bands/shows, it'd be worth it to save for a little while and get a tube combo.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
Check out a Peavey Windsor Head, if you can get the chance. Supposed to be voiced similarly to a JCM800. Those can be had for anywhere between $300-$400USD depending on where you go and how you haggle.

My local GC has one for $289USD, and if I hadn't already just gotten a guitar, I'd probably have that head by now.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I was in the unfortunate position of having to play through an AVT combo earlier this year (couldn't fit my rig into the practice space) and it was a pretty horrifying amp at high volumes. I think it would work very well as an 'at home' practice amp as it didn't sound horrifying at low volumes.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Get a Fender amp and an HAO Rust Driver. You have the Fender sound for cleans, and the Rust Driver is the best Marshall sounding pedal for around $100 I've found. If you want clips or anything, PM me.
Quote by stuey22
Get a Fender amp and an HAO Rust Driver. You have the Fender sound for cleans, and the Rust Driver is the best Marshall sounding pedal for around $100 I've found. If you want clips or anything, PM me.

I saw something about that pedal recently, thanks for reminding me. Some clips would be awesome.
English Muff'n pedal, maybe?

Anyways, about the AVT, I have one, it's a decent practise amp, but the stock speaker really lets it down. I swapped the speaker and now mine has nice, tight low-end and stays well defined at much higher volumes then before. For such an overpriced amp, Marshall should at least stick a speaker in it that shows it off at it's best.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Don_Humpador
I saw something about that pedal recently, thanks for reminding me. Some clips would be awesome.

I'll record some clips tonight and throw them up here.
Hey guys,

UG won't let me load the clips of the Rust Driver, so just PM me with your e-mail or e-mail me at stuey222@aol.com and I'll send you them.
Orange Tiny Terror? Just a thought...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by Hakael
Check out a Peavey Windsor Head, if you can get the chance. Supposed to be voiced similarly to a JCM800. Those can be had for anywhere between $300-$400USD depending on where you go and how you haggle.

My local GC has one for $289USD, and if I hadn't already just gotten a guitar, I'd probably have that head by now.

Yes that suggestion is full of win
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
+1 for the Traynor YCV50 Blue. It's a good compromise between Fender cleans and Marshall distortion and the price is awesome.

You could also get a Fender tube amp (Hot Rod or Blues) and get a Marshall style distortion pedal. I'd check out the Marshall Guv'nor and Jackhammer (not sure about this one, I've never played one), the EHX English Muff'n (again, haven't played one, but Frusciante uses one), or the Radial Tonebone series of pedals if you can afford it (Hot British and Plexitube are best for Marshall sounds).
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior