Hi every one, you know how when you are on the internet looking for guitars and you look at the specifications. Well when I do that I skip past all the 22 fret ones and look for 24 fret guitars. All the ones i have looked at have jumbo frets

My question is, Are there any other types of fret apart from jumbo and what is the differance between them.
There are scaloped necks like what yngwie malmsteen uses but you can usuly only get those necks from customizing shops. Apparently the scooped out frets mean you dont have to put as much preasure on the frets to get a sound. Other than that there aren't any other types of frets i can think of. But jumbo frets just incase you didn't know serve the same purpose they make it easier to play a note using less presure with your fingers.
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
Last edited by mightmuffin at Feb 7, 2008,
I'm pretty sure its just the size of the fret itself. The guitars I have been looking at all have extra-jumbos...but thats pretty much how ESP always make them now. But yeah I think there is a slight difference with how hard you have to push the string down and all.
Ye most guitar companies make all there guitars with jumbo frets these days.
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
There are different sizes of fret wire available but I haven't actually seen a guitar that comes with anything other than jumbo or larger from the factory. If you get a refret, you can choose what fret wire size you want but as far as from the factory, i have no idea.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
Quote by mightmuffin
There are scaloped necks like what yngwie malmsteen uses but you can usuly only get those necks from customizing shops. Apparently the scooped out frets mean you dont have to put as much preasure on the frets to get a sound. Other than that there aren't any other types of frets i can think of. But jumbo frets just incase you didn't know serve the same purpose they make it easier to play a note using less presure with your fingers.

that's wrong, they actually make normal playing harder, but it's much easier to do note bends with scalloped/jumbo frets.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
i think my strat has jumbo frets

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
thanks guys, so there are jumbo which is good for normal playing, and scaloped frets which is harder to play but easier to bend.
Quote by Metalic Demon
thanks guys, so there are jumbo which is good for normal playing, and scaloped frets which is harder to play but easier to bend.

no i'm pretty sure he meant both scalloped and jumbo frets make regular playing harder but bends easier
It's just up to preference, it doesn't make much of a difference.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
ATTENTION:

this thread is 9 months old.

that is all.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I like jumbo frets, they don't make playing that much harder, but a scalloped necks have nothing to do with fret wire, unless you're an experienced guitarist i wouldn't even think about scalloped necks. there are medium frets, and there are light frets, but both of those i believe are difficult to play, though some players say they help with precision, and they do make bends more difficult. i would stick with jumbo though
Whoops, didn't mean to contribute to a dead thread :S
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.