I've been playing guitar for about 12 years - nothing terribly seriously and nothing for a crowd. My current guitar is a Takamine EAN15C and I love it. The problem is that it doesn't satisfy my primal musical urge to rock (which I've been suppressing for some time).

Now's time for a new epoch and the acoustic side of me has died. Out with the Takamine (or rather to eBay I go) and in with the......... I have no idea. That's where you guys come in. I have been playing guitar this long and really know freakin nothing about electrics besides the weird feeling of the skinny assed neck when I hold one.

I'll be using it for Blues/Rock/Jazz (in order of importance). I'm sure most of you are going to push me toward Strat and that's what I'm leaning for, but I by no means want to buy a guitar simply because of a name or even how it looks. It could be a raw wood monstrosity as long as it was a good instrument for me that won't become increasing hard to play as I progress. I'll need an amp too an welcome all input on that front as well.

I plan on using all cash garnered from the sale of my acoustic for my new electric and amp - probably as much as $800 depending. Also if you can be as specific as possible, that'd be great. If you say "Strat" what model or year Strat? American made?

Again, I'm not sold on a brand or look.

Thanks for any and all help!

p.s. Yes, yes I know- I'll be playing anything and everything before I buy.
id go with an epiphone les paul, or some other type of les paul (classic, custom, ect). they would do pretty well with what you are lookin for. as for an amp, maybe a fender hot rod, vox or something along thos lines. good luck and enjoy!!
I would highly suggest a stratocaster or even a telecaster. I own a strat and I love it.
Although it might be out of your price range for amps, I would save up and get a peavy classic 30.
sigh...
Quote by guitar033
id go with an epiphone les paul, or some other type of les paul (classic, custom, ect). they would do pretty well with what you are lookin for. as for an amp, maybe a fender hot rod, vox or something along thos lines. good luck and enjoy!!

Yeah, I figured if there was going to be a real alternative to a strat it would be an Epi Les Paul.

As far as the guy saying Strat, what kind? Standard?
Quote by enceps
Although it might be out of your price range for amps, I would save up and get a peavy classic 30.

Well, I could afford the amp and plug a beat up old Squier into it... but...
would he want something with one or two single coil pickups for those styles though? or at least be sure you have a tone knob for both pickups?
What I've been leaning towards is a new Standard Strat (used American if I can find a good enough deal on one) and just something like a relatively small Line 6 Spider 3 amp. The amp because I don't want to blow my wad on just the amp and it has some standard effects which means I don't have to mess with pedals until I decide what kind of sound I'm really looking for.
Quote by ClockworkOwl
What I've been leaning towards is a new Standard Strat (used American if I can find a good enough deal on one) and just something like a relatively small Line 6 Spider 3 amp. The amp because I don't want to blow my wad on just the amp and it has some standard effects which means I don't have to mess with pedals until I decide what kind of sound I'm really looking for.

try out the amp, but most people here would shoot you for buying a spider 3. Check out Vox amps and the Roland Cube amps.
Quote by black_box
try out the amp, but most people here would shoot you for buying a spider 3. Check out Vox amps and the Roland Cube amps.

I don't see how people think Roland Cubes are better than Spiders... Every Roland Cube I've played sounded terrible.
If you are used to an acoustic and a fat neck you desire, enter the realm of the legendary....LES PAUL!!!
In all seriousness though, a Les Paul will give your hands something to grab on to. A real solid guitar with a real solid feel and an explosive sound. (i'm a big fan)

Tube amp and rock out with your **** out. Or if you happen to be a chick then " jam out with your clam out".
I appreciate all of your help!~

Bottom line I KNOW is that I'll have to make the rounds at the music store and try a bunch of combonations... Which I'm not looking forward to since I can't jam and don't want to pretend like I can in a freakin store.
I'd reccomend a MIM Standard HSS strat. Very versatile setup.

If you want an amp with effects to play with, try a Vox Valvetronix. If you want a tonefull amp, get a Crate Palomino V8, Epiphone Valve Junior, or the like.
I'm personally a fan of the Les Paul, and Epiphone's Les Pauls are actually really nice. You The Epiphone LP standards are real nice, and for a multi-fx combo amp, I'd go with a vox valvetronix. They're nice, they're cheap, and they have quite a few built in effects and amp models for you to screw around with to see what you're looking for. The Epiphone I mentioned runs at about $500 (I was able to get my ebony one for $350 when Guitar Center was having a sale) and the Vox goes for $250, which keeps you pretty well within your budget. Next thing you'll probably want to get with the guitar is new strings since you may or may not like what comes with it, and if you go to Guitar Center and buy it off the floor, you don't know how many people have played it or how long they've been on the guitar, so it's a good idea to change em out. String brand is 100% preference, but I'd recommend trying out a set of 10.s since you're used to acoustic and want that bluesy sort of tone.

Hope this helped a bit.
Quote by Vale_Deo
I'm personally a fan of the Les Paul, and Epiphone's Les Pauls are actually really nice. You The Epiphone LP standards are real nice, and for a multi-fx combo amp, I'd go with a vox valvetronix. They're nice, they're cheap, and they have quite a few built in effects and amp models for you to screw around with to see what you're looking for. The Epiphone I mentioned runs at about $500 (I was able to get my ebony one for $350 when Guitar Center was having a sale) and the Vox goes for $250, which keeps you pretty well within your budget. Next thing you'll probably want to get with the guitar is new strings since you may or may not like what comes with it, and if you go to Guitar Center and buy it off the floor, you don't know how many people have played it or how long they've been on the guitar, so it's a good idea to change em out. String brand is 100% preference, but I'd recommend trying out a set of 10.s since you're used to acoustic and want that bluesy sort of tone.

Hope this helped a bit.

Thanks! Yeah that helped very much. It's sad to say but there aren't many people around it seems that would endorse the Epiphone Les Paul over the Strat but I'm glad at least SOMEONE did so I won't feel bad if that's what I prefer

I'll look into the amp as well... amps are one thing that I REALLY don't know a damned thing about.
Quote by ClockworkOwl
Thanks! Yeah that helped very much. It's sad to say but there aren't many people around it seems that would endorse the Epiphone Les Paul over the Strat but I'm glad at least SOMEONE did so I won't feel bad if that's what I prefer

I'll look into the amp as well... amps are one thing that I REALLY don't know a damned thing about.

For the amp i suggest a roland microcube to go with the Epi les paul (if you get one) that combo is suiting me really nicely right now brilliant tones... tried the valvetronix on a strat and a les paul and it... well... sounded like complete ****

EDIT:My favourite tones out of the micro cube has def gotta be the brit combo.. little to no gain and full volume it rocks so much
Quote by Rankles
You have to be thirteen to use this website.

Quote by Stentroll
That's because, secretly, everyone here except the mods are 11 years old.

Quote by nosushi4you
Yeah, the mods are actually 10

Just kidding, please don't ban me
Holy CRAP I didn't realize how many variations of moderately priced strats existed!!! Jesus, where the hell do I start? Standard, Factory special productions, 50s/60s/70s reissues, fat strats, roadhouse, deluxe roadhouse, players deluxe, loanstar, signature models, ETC ETC ETC!!! OK, my decision just got much much more confusing. It seems like the texas pickups may be something I'd like? Neck shape? Head is whirling... strat help? Please?
But that's the best part, you have so many choices. Just look for something in your price range. You'll find a one that fits your hand, and has the tone and look you want.

Keep in mind a good amount of guitar tone comes from the amp.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
I would start with a ...

- 1960's strat
- deluxe player's strat
- mim strat
- lonestar hss

From the top of my head, this is a good range of feels and tones in that price range.

Also, try a MIA Deluxe Ash Strat with the C neck. It has a little fatter neck. I usually like very think, smooth necks, but this ones is a very nice feel to it, and may suit your acoustic hand better.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker