Page 1 of 3
i have been playing guitar for two months now. i can play some easy songs but i've really been trying
to play Sweet child o' mine by GNR. its so fudging hard. if u can go to my profile and hear me play it. plz rate it.

tell me if i stink real bad or does it sound o.k. for a beginer practicing for 2 months.
thanks.

if only i had a marshall amp to make it sound like slash.
Last edited by daniel2489 at Feb 7, 2008,
preety good for two months dude but it sounds like your muting the notes
just try and be extra carful not to get messy
my gear:
jackson dk2m
ibanez grg170dx.
peavey vyper 15
warwick corvette 5 string
ashdown 5 15
Are you playing that on just two strings?

Um, sorry. Constructive critisicm : You need to read the tab for the intro again, you're not hitting the right notes. You also need to work on your bends, just keep practising and you'll get there soon enough. I didn't listen past the first 2 minutes so I don't know whether you tried the solo or not, but I'd advise you to concentrate on ;

The Intro.

The first verses and chorus, make sure you get the rhythm down. Remember it goes D, Cadd9, G. There's a couple I can't remember, make sure you check a reliable tab on UG.
And remember, it won't be the Marshall that'll make it sound like Slash. But keep on practicing.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
Quote by fexnah
And remember, it won't be the Marshall that'll make it sound like Slash. But keep on practicing.

True, True
Absolute honest opinion? Shelve it for a while, you're not quite ready to tackle it. Spend some time working on the basics, fretting cleanly, picking accurately and a lot of time developing your sense of rhythm and timing.

That doesn't mean you're a bad player, I wouldn't expect anyone who had only been playing for 2 months to be able to play anything other than the backing chords to that song and have it sound halfway to being recognisable.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
got ur note. my thoughts are pretty much the same as ^ mark's here.

anyway, keep going, good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
When I was playing for 2 months I was trying songs like that, and really, I wouldn't even try it until you had the basics down. There's a lot of string skipping in the intro, and some of the fingerings can be awkward to someone who hasn't been playing for a little while. Keep exercising the basics and you'll get it. Work on something a bit easier to get you practice. Just remember not to let the flame die, and before you know it, you'll be looking at the tab saying "Jesus, I seriously couldn't play that before?!"

You'll get it. And an amp won't make a hill of difference before the technique is picked up first.
if you put more time in ur 2 month of playing you should be able to get it down pretty decently, at least the intro. i got the whole song down including the solos after 6 or 7 month of playing guitar
Quote by kckyle
if you put more time in ur 2 month of playing you should be able to get it down pretty decently, at least the intro. i got the whole song down including the solos after 6 or 7 month of playing guitar

Yea, you're really making him feel good about himself.

Anyway, I call bull****. Thread Starter - Don't worry about it. With time, everything will seem a lot more easy. I've played a while, and I still have a little trouble with the string skipping intro.
Play it right. Even if you have to play it slow. Work up to speed on difiicult things. It's harder to un-train yourself than to learn it slow and work up to speed.
Word!
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Yea, you're really making him feel good about himself.

Anyway, I call bull****. Thread Starter - Don't worry about it. With time, everything will seem a lot more easy. I've played a while, and I still have a little trouble with the string skipping intro.

ok this isn't carebear forum. get that straight. this forum is about helping people and make them realizing what they're missing so they can work towards it. if you want him to feel good about himself give him a bj
Quote by kckyle
if you want him to feel good about himself give him a bj

is that what you usually do?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by kckyle
nop but that gave me an idea of what you usually do

Oh you bitch.

Just stop flirting with me. Enough with the sordid come-ons. If you want to do me, just ask.

Anyway: Thread Starter - Don't think of the guitar as a competition. Everyone moves at their own pace. Just keep practising at a level you feel comfortable with.
yeah..sorry but i dont swing that way. but i think jj1565 would love to give you a bj if you want since that is what she do when she wants to "feel good about him/herself"
kckyle is officially the dumbest person I've ever come across on these forums.

Anyway.

The intro and fills would be fine so long as... well, so long as you were playing the right notes. It doesn't sound especially out of time or anything (many people make the mistake of playing it too fast, which you haven't), it just sounds like you're following a bad lesson or incorrect tab.

The solos though.. honestly, I'm amazed you'd even be trying those. I know people who have been playing for a couple of years and still can't play the solos. I've never even looked at the solos myself, but I can tell you, if I did, I wouldn't be too confident in my ability to play them either. I'm genuinely surprised someone who's only been playing for 2 months would think of trying them at all. I don't think it'll be much surprise to you that you're a long way off from playing them correctly. I really think they'll be a bit of a lost cause for you until you've got at least a few more months under your belt, and even then, I wouldn't be surprised if it took you another year or so before you coupld play them properly.

Also, having a Marshall wouldn't give you Slash's sound. You're using a Strat it sounds like, you'd need to change that for a double-humbucker Les Paul first. Then you need Slash's custom modified Marshall head, his cabs, his cables, his strings, and his fingers, before you got his tone.
Quote by kckyle
ok this isn't carebear forum. get that straight. this forum is about helping people and make them realizing what they're missing so they can work towards it. if you want him to feel good about himself give him a bj

so? that's no reason to be a twat...

so stop being a twat.

twat.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
so? that's no reason to be a twat...

so stop being a twat.

twat.

not being a twat im being realistic

you on the other hand can shove a douche up yours
Last edited by kckyle at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by bokuho
kckyle is officially the dumbest person I've ever come across on these forums.

dont even get me started on your half ass judgement on the gibson studios. oh im sorry to criticize your knowledge supposivly you have chopped down 3 gibson lespaul just to find out what type of wood their made off. yeah real smart of you,

not. based on that. i nominate YOU for being the dumbest person
Quote by kckyle
yeah..sorry but i dont swing that way. but i think jj1565 would love to give you a bj if you want since that is what she do when she wants to "feel good about him/herself"

HAHA you said it not me. that was the lamest attempt at a come back by the way.

you need to be less of a twat.
then you wont come across as such a twat.

just a thought.

anyway, that's what i/me thinks.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by kckyle's Profile
hi my name is kyle and im a senior in my high school. recently i quited 2 bands and made a new one with couple of my good friends also couple best guys good at what they do. so far i been rythm for my first band, didnt quite like it so i quit, thn i was back up soloist but the whole band sucked so i moved on, and now im the lead soloist of my band which i enjoy alot. we have a gig coming up so wish us luck

lol@grammar&faggotry

Threadstarter, I'd say stick with it, but also try some string skipping and timing exercises. I'd recommend John Petrucci's book, Rock Discipline, it's got some great exercises for guitarists of all levels.
man what is this im arguing with like 5 people now. last time i check who the hell give a **** about grammer. i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who has bad grammer. and if i know fags like you(danno13) would be checking my about me then i would've put more effort into disclosing about myself.

seriously who checks about me. are you that bored and insecure about your life. or are you just a little bitch who gets pms and go online to flame about other people.
it's "i could care less". if your so good at "grammar" care to show me your about me. oh thats right you dont have one. so stop macking me cause you might be just as bad as me. or even worse for that matter. btw english is my second language. so i like to say im quite proud of my fluency

and honestly. this is getting way off topic. if this keeps up is going to end up like other 5 pages of flame war.
dude. just **** up.
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
my god. americans truly do not know how to give up...
****in new yorkers

Quote by CoreysMonster

oh im sorry i thought your one of these idiots that can be swayed by other people's decision :P

yep ^^ hate on us. thats why we are the most powerful nation and britain is our bitch
Quote by kckyle
man what is this im arguing with like 5 people now.

6 now..

you're an ass
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
such an american thing to say...
go eat a tub of lard and shag your sister.
americans have ****ed up the world.
****in mongrel nation made up of a bastard breed of irish and italians. but you still cant accept the fact you're not actually irish.

Quote by CoreysMonster

How could English be your second language and you are attacking the Irish dude because he is not American.

What???
Is this Bizarro World??
oh man this is hilarious

actually i'm a american but i was raised up in japan so therefore i did not have a american childhood
Quote by kckyle
oh man, this is hIlArious.

you're welcome.
you cunnilingus.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by permanentmarker
such an american thing to say...
go eat a tub of lard and shag your sister.
americans have ****ed up the world.
****in mongrel nation made up of a bastard breed of irish and italians. but you still cant accept the fact you're not actually irish.

so now your mocking irish and italians as bastard breed? well thats nice
Bastard breed OF Irish and Italians.
You are the frog monkey of nationalities.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by danohat
I didn't know they had the Internet in N. Ireland.

i dunno if that was supposed to be a smart arse comment or what, but i can assure you we are as advances as the yankers over the pond. Except we dont need to make a fuss about everything.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Page 1 of 3