The tubescreamer ts9 dx is the one im looking at, i heard it has the hot and turbo function. Im looking to tighten up an already distorted tone, would this pedal be best for me. Or should i look at the fulltone OCD (favourite at moment) or maybe a maxon or MXR
why would that work? I want to tighten up the sound on my dsl401 tube amp. And also use it as a volume boost in solos
yupp like what he said ^ if you want to "tighten" up your tone then find a compressor
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
Metal players will sometimes use a Tubescreamer to tighten the tone. And you could just whack the level up if you wanted a solo boost. So i say get it.
Well, think of it this way, a compressor adds a bit of clean gain to the circuit, and will function to tighten the tone. A Tubescreamer will push the tubes to break up more, and open up the gain a little more. The Fulltone does the same thing but with a cleaner, more transparent gain
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
if you're gonna be adding to an already distorted tone, you dont need turbo amounts of gain.

in fact, on my TS-9, you have to turn the gain lower than 5 or it's TOO much gain
well i heard rumours that the OCD gives a very beefy sorta tone, not such a mid hump. And what compressors would you look out. Although im still favouring overdrives at the moment.
btw i searched youtube for OCD and only found samples of it being used with clean. Anyone seen any/got any of it being used with some gain. And OCD vs Ts9 DX. Which would you choose
Quote by Varkunus
why would that work? I want to tighten up the sound on my dsl401 tube amp. And also use it as a volume boost in solos

Id get the ts9dx...i use mine for tightening up my sound also...just put the level to full and tone to about 2 and drive to 0 on the ts9 setting

Lower the gain a bit on your amp aswell...having the gain at 10 will make it sound muddy and flabby...i put myne about 8 and make up for any lost gain with the tightness of the tube screamer
I think an OCD would do you well.
It'll thicken up an already distorted sound, make it beefier too, lots more sustain too.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
You know what my 5150 wouldn't sound as tight or as brutal as it sounds without my bad monkey tube overdrive. I took it off of it for a while and didnt use any pedals and it just wasnt the same. The bad monkey really makes this thing sound mean. I use the gain on the amp and crank it down a little more than i usually have it and use some of the gain on the bad monkey and the levels high and low. This pedal cost me 39 bucks new... And if it was to tear up today or get lost id buy another one right away. Its my favorite pedal and the only pedal ive ever bought that i was extremly impressed with. It makes my sound so much tighter and so much more brutal. I can't play without one anymore.
Quote by Ramones06
yupp like what he said ^ if you want to "tighten" up your tone then find a compressor

Ive used multiple compressors and they never tightened up my sound good they just ruined it. gave it way to much sustain. Nothing tightens up as well as a tube overdrive pedal. I don't just use mine for solos either I keep it on all the time.
Quote by paranormal5150
Ive used multiple compressors and they never tightened up my sound good they just ruined it. gave it way to much sustain. Nothing tightens up as well as a tube overdrive pedal. I don't just use mine for solos either I keep it on all the time.

listen to rob arnold lol
what about an EQ ? i don't get why people always look at overdrive pedals for tightening up their tone...
If you want a TS9DX I may be selling one in the very near future.

Quote by paranormal5150

Oh yeah I forgot sustain was a bad thing.
I've heard that the TS is better for a gain boost and the OCD was better suited for pushing a clean tube amp or entirely replacing it's gain channel. Just my two cents, in all reality it's always best to try for yourself.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by thebrewfan

lol. actually, i didn't get that either.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Feb 8, 2008,
well i can try a standard ts 9 but impossible for me to try the other and to person above i would maybe be interested in buying. Add lord_varkunus@hotmail.com if interested And sound samples besides you tube and google would be great. Welli was just talking to a UG member on msn and he recommended a OCD.
Quote by thebrewfan
If you want a TS9DX I may be selling one in the very near future.

no thats not what I said... but yes to much sustain is a bad thing. You'll end up sounding like dimebag or something. Unless that is your thing. I like a healthy amount of sustain but not ear piercing.
Quote by paranormal5150
no thats not what I said... but yes to much sustain is a bad thing. You'll end up sounding like dimebag or something. Unless that is your thing. I like a healthy amount of sustain but not ear piercing.

that makes no sense at all. Sustain can not be ear piercing. Sustain is how long the notes last. I think you're thinking of too much top end.