Sorry if I don't manage to articulate this very well, but he is allowing the bridge to "bounce." To get the effect, play a note, then pull up or push down on your whammy bar, but don't return it smoothly to the "home" position, just let go of it. The bridge bounces around and gives that fluttering effect.
so basicly just trial and error with my particular set up?
Guitars: ESP - Alexi Laiho V
Jackson- RR3
Amp: peavy 5150
Stack: Crate 4x12 & Fender anniv. 4x12
It's called gargling. You sort of do a karate chop on the whammy bar. Punch the whammy bar down fast and release it fast. You can also do it the other way around.

EDIT: If you want to do it the way he did: Pull the whammy bar up and release. Do it fast though. =) It's quite easy when you figure it out.

BTW! Check this video out. John Petrucci does the same, in another. It's easier to see it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVmq2C5kLoM
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Feb 7, 2008,
i noticed he tightend his tremolo arm right before hand as well
Jackson- RR3
Quote by DamienS
i noticed he tightend his tremolo arm right before hand as well

Yes, that is correct. He did it so he could have more control when releasing and grabbing it again.
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Man i wish my whammy wasn't snapped off inside my bridge i miss doing whammy tricks like this
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
if its screwed in buy one of those kits for removing broken bolts and get it out

i also noticed that alexi's style of it is a little more perfected that johns
Jackson- RR3
No its ok i'm getting new parts for it soon from ibanez rules then i shall again beable to do tricks like this yay! and i agree alexi's style of doing it is a bit better
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
could the number and set up of bridge tension springs effect the ability to do this trick?
Jackson- RR3
Quote by DamienS
could the number and set up of bridge tension springs effect the ability to do this trick?

I believe so, yes. I use 3 springs in my Ibanez at a defualt setup. It works great for me. I haven't broken anything doing anything with my whammy bar. Should be safe.
C4C
(or in my profile!)

i have mine set up with the two springs that are closest together under the low E and the thicker strings in general, and one spring on the light strings end, and yes the face of the bridge is flush with the body of the guitar
Jackson- RR3
I'm not an expert when it comes to this stuff, but I think less tension might make it harder to pull off this "trick." But you're good to go I suppose. Give it a try!
C4C
(or in my profile!)