hey ug users,
i was wondering if anyone has turned there combo amps into heads to plug into a cab?? when the summer time comes around and im able to work in my garage i plan to change my traynor ycv 40t into a head, has anyone tried doing this with any combo before? is it difficult? the plan i have in my mind rite now is just to take out the speakers, make sure there are no wires in the way and cut my way through the amp and add a new bottom piece...to me it makes sense, i just wanna kno if anyone else has tried this with a combo and if tehres any advice i coiuld get
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White) (retired)
Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash studio
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Tobacco Burst)

Bass
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz
I've been thinking about doing that too
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
I was going to do it to my Marshall Vs100.. Its pretty easy if your good at wood working and have the tools. Also theres a picture floating around of a guy that did it to a 5150 combo and did a insanely good job. He also made the bottom into a 2 x 12 cab real precision work.
Shouldn't be too hard. Remove the speaker and disconnect it, take the amp out of the chassis. Resize the wooden box that you are left with to a head size and put the amp back in, then solder a jack socket onto the speaker wires and fix the jack socket in place. Doesn't seem too difficult unless I'm overlooking something...
My mate did it to his really old peavey amp, he loved the tone but that thing weighed a ton!

Now it's a head and 1x12 cab, and alot easier to move!
I did this to a Fender 75 a few years ago. It worked out pretty good. I found a NOS faceplate and a logo on ebay and then retolexed in white.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
My mate managed to get hold of some diamond plated panels and used that to finish off the corners.... He also took all the covering off and varnished the wood...

Looks sexy!
wow so alot of ppl do this, awesome! i kinda thought it was stupid to do at first, but it would make moving it around alot more pratical
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White) (retired)
Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash studio
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Tobacco Burst)

Bass
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz