I was thinking of putting a JB on my LP Studio..what is a JB supossed to sound like? I also wanted to put a PG on my TD Fender Strat. I was looking for a realy vintage-y low gain sound for my strat..what kind of pickup would sound good in your opinion?

thanks

jj
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
The JB has a great presence to it. It can cut through any mix with a healthy dose of tone across the board. Lots of mid punch, a tight top end, and a solid bottom. Great, great pickup

As for the strat, the Pearly gates has a lot of "sizzle" IMO. I'd go so far as to call it brittle, but its not that bad. Kind of like a raspy PAF IMO.

You could try a Vintage Rails. They're on the lower output side, hum-cancelling and produce a unique "stratty" sound
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
^cool deal...my strat only has one bridge pick up though, arent the ralis for like single coil position?

would you choose the JB over the stock 490R (Bridge) on the LP?
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Quote by sloppyjoe109
...my strat only has one bridge pick up though, arent the ralis for like single coil position?
TD strat, which model is this? I'd assume something with a H-S-S layout?

If you're brand loyal and want to go Duncan across the board, Alnico Pro II perhaps? If you don't care where it comes from, the DiMarzio PAF Pro is fantastic.

Quote by sloppyjoe109
...would you choose the JB over the stock 490R (Bridge) on the LP?
Absolutely. Stock bad, modified good

I personally put EMGs in everything and IMHO, I think they shine brightest in Mahogany guitars. The attack is tight, the sound is incredibly full, and harmonics galore.

But, the JB comes pretty close. A bit punchier in the mid department and not quite as sharp an attack. Still, its probably my favorite passive pickup.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
^ +1

i have it in an edwards LP, and while it sounds alright for a stock pickup, i wouldn't upgrade to one. it's way too hot for the classic LP tone, and a bit bright too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I absolutely despised the JB that I had.

Far too bright and trebly, even in my big mahogany S-1 Blackjack.

I upgraded to a GFS Vintage '59 (which is nearly half the price of the JB) and couldn't be happier.

You might also wanna take a look at getting some custom-wound pickups at www.highorderpickups.com. Fully customized pickups for $70 is tough to beat.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
i play pop/rock..im looking for like a chime-y ballsy kinda sound...

TD = Tom Delonge haha

Quote by NeverMeant
^yes! warm creamy sound for bridge...what do you recommend??
Quote by NeverMeant
^nice man..ill look into all these pickups.

Quote by NeverMeant
hey how good will a classic 57 (gibson) sound on the LP's neck? i have some on my SG, but i was just wondering you opinion against the 59 (seymour duncan) and 57 (gibson) ?
Quote by NeverMeant
^ oh man, i haven't tried those two head to head. both are pretty decent.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sloppyjoe109
hey how good will a classic 57 (gibson) sound on the LP's neck? i have some on my SG, but i was just wondering you opinion against the 59 (seymour duncan) and 57 (gibson) ?

I haven't A/B-ed them either. I just think that the Duncan is a better value than the Gibson. You know. Money-wise.
^ agreed. of course if you already have the '57, i'd probably contend it's not worth the cost of upgrading to the '59. though as i said, i haven't tried the two head to head.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
cool cool...thanks guys.

Quote by NeverMeant
would you choose the 57 (gibson) over the SH 14 for the LP's bridge?
Quote by NeverMeant
^cool deal dude.

Excuse my ignorance..but what does PAF stand for?
Quote by NeverMeant
oh ok cool man thanks
Quote by NeverMeant