I've just gotten one to tide me over till I have enough for a Fender Jazz.
I've bought this one here
http://www.rondomusic.com/spj62vwh.html
It's not made out of crappy assed wood, and seems well built

So I think I've scored a bargin (It came to £100 inc p+p) but I'm wondering if there's anything horribly wrong with them so I'm prepared for a breakdown.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Why didn't you just save up enough money for a Fender jazz?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
They're great. My friend has had his for more than a year, and I just got mine a few days ago but I absolutely love it. My friend hasn't had any problems with his, and he plays it daily and has used it to perform.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by fleajr_1412
Why didn't you just save up enough money for a Fender jazz?

Because my peavey is broke, and I'm at music college playing bass every day.

"Link.JohnIrving" thats reassuring to know!
Does it stay in tune well? I'm starting to get really fussy on being perfectly in tune

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance
Because my peavey is broke, and I'm at music college playing bass every day.

"Link.JohnIrving" thats reassuring to know!
Does it stay in tune well? I'm starting to get really fussy on being perfectly in tune

The tuners are the weak point on SXs, but if you get a set of hipshots in there and maybe some better quality pots, you'll have a great bass.
Apparently it's the wood that's the deal. The fretwork, electronics, and hardware are where they saved most of their money. They're lacking and should be replaced if you want to 'compete' with the brand name stuff of similar wood. I mean, these are Asian sub-$150 basses - they don't have a magic fountain of cost saving - the corners are cut there.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I kinda figured the pickups were going to be lacking in quality, and was going to upgrade them as I went along.
I'll grab some new tuning pegs first then, tone isn't a really important factor through the college amps.

Thanks everyone!

Quote by MightyAl
Get the new squire jazz bass.
Much better than SX.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles
Get the new squire jazz bass.
Much better than SX.

That's useful input.
When I mentioned I've already bought the SX

Quote by MightyAl
I tune everyday before I play, and it's never far off from perfect.

I've got really bad buzz at the 10th fret of the G string though. I'm going to go get it professionally set up and see if the luthier I go to can work it out. Other than that, I'm happy. I was surprised by the tone quality. I'm not going to replace the pickups as soon as anticipated.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Well!
I got my bass this morning (It's a "SX SPJ-62"), and straight off to college i went with it.

It came with stainless steel strings on, which aren't my thing at all, but do the job for now.

TONE: What a surprise! The Alder and stock pickups give out a really nice tone, and combined with the steel strings I've found a sort of Funk style tone out of it. But I can also get alot of other tones from it too, such as Punk/Metal/Rock/Pop Punk, really versitile for a P-Bass, most likely down to the extra J-pickup. I won't be needing a pickup replacement for a while!

NECK: What an awful colour! I cannot stand these orange stained necks, hopefully it'll wear down quickly. This is the only let down with the bass, but for something so cheap you can't expect perfection. After getting used to a Fender P-Bass neck, this is just awful, it starts off well, nice and chunky, and a good width, but after the 5th fret the chunkiness fades and the neck gets wider, a bit too wide for my liking. There isn't alot of fret buzz at all, and nothing noticeable through an amp.

HARDWARE: Again a surprise, the tuning pegs seem solid and good quality, and dont instantly go out of tune, I brought it home on the bus from college, stopping off in town, and got it out about half an hour after getting home, and it was still pretty much in tune.
The bridge looks more solid that the one on the P-Bass I've been borrowing, although I haven't had chance to adjust it. It's currently needing a few tweaks on the innotation and I want to raise the action a bit, but that's personal preference really.

OTHER STUFF: Paint job isn't what I was expecting from the picture, it's meant to be "Vintage White" but just looks like it's had a bit of green and yellow mixed into the paint, not too nice at all. Pick guard isn't great, theres gaps between it and the body at points. The pots are very good, I belive the config is Split-coil Volume, Jazz-pickup Volume, and Tone. They turn smoothly, not too jerky, and aren't loose at all.

BUILD QUALITY: The bass seems to be held together well, Bolt on neck, and solid Alder body. The routing on the pickups isn't what you would call precise at all, theres some major gaps around them, and the split coil pickup isn't set in properly and wobbles about when you touch it, but who's going to come up and wobble your pickups?!

Overall, it's an amazing bass, and I wouldn't say amazing for the price range, it could easily compete with some Ibanez/Squire basses at around the £300 mark.

Quote by MightyAl
Last edited by dancesisidance at Feb 13, 2008,
What's the weight of the bass? Someone was complaining that it was ungodly light - which IMO is a very bad thing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
What's the weight of the bass? Someone was complaining that it was ungodly light - which IMO is a very bad thing.

It's quite light, but not as light as they were trying to make it out to be, I'd say it's the same weight as a Mex Jazz.

And now I look closely the paint does look pretty similar, but it's better than the sunburst or red they have.

Quote by MightyAl
Ill just copy and paste my post from the thread about SX basses on page two of the bass forum. -.-

My friend owns a sunburst P-bass from SX, so I have had some exposure to them. I have to say that SX basses are the worst basses I have ever played. The neck feels cheap, the body is unusually light, I despised the sound, and my friend raised the action to a ridiculous level so that it is painful to play. TheFitz may crucify me for this, but I would rather own a Thunderbird, or an SG, rather than the pile of fecal matter that is SX.

In short, I hate SX.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
http://www.rondomusic.com/spj62vwh.html

Just check the pictures on there, I can't find my camera!
It's exactly how it looks, although the neck is a bit more orange!

"kranoscorp", I'm aware of your hate for these basses, but really, it's a matter of opinion, I personally think this is an awesome bass, expecially for the price.

Quote by MightyAl
Last edited by dancesisidance at Feb 14, 2008,
Has anyone tried a bass from The Bass Company? I heard there good for there prices.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Quote by kranoscorp
My friend owns a sunburst P-bass from SX, so I have had some exposure to them. I have to say that SX basses are the worst basses I have ever played. The neck feels cheap, the body is unusually light, I despised the sound, and my friend raised the action to a ridiculous level so that it is painful to play. TheFitz may crucify me for this, but I would rather own a Thunderbird, or an SG, rather than the pile of fecal matter that is SX.

In short, I hate SX.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one of this opinion. Everyone on this forum seems to rave about them, but I've never been impressed with mine. The pickups are garbage, it is really light (while I don't mind, this seems to be a problem for most), the tuners suck, and the frigging thing wouldn't stop falling apart for months.

Of course, I've learned to stop hating mine as much now that it's fixed up, but quite frankly, I wouldn't recommend one at all.
I've had mine for around 10 months now. The only problems I've had with it were the wires from the knobs to the pickups snapping, which was my own fault. (I dropped it by accident.)
The only other problem I had was the washer on the input thing (don't know the correct name, sorry) came off so the thing fell inside the bass and I couldn't plug it in. I sorted that easily by taking the scratchplate off, bringing it back through and screwing it on.
Overall, I'm happy with it and don't think I'll be needing a new one for quite some time. I think they're great basses for the price.