here's the deal was walking through GC and found that crate g412sl that everyone is hating on. but it was only 90 bucks so i picked it up, now i need a head.

so can you guys give me some good ideas to match with this cabinet, I know it sucks, but i really just needa head that wont sound like ****
What style of music?
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
I don't listen to much screamo, but it's relativley high-gain right?

Cheapest high-gain tube head I can think of would be the ValveKing 100.

If you're willing to invest in an OD pedal there are more options though.
yeah its high gain

okay so the peavey is a choice

but what about solid state, what would you reccomend and what kind of pedal?
Quote by music's music

It's difficult to recommend anything solid state for any type of "high gain" situation. A lot of the sound of a high gain amp comes from the power amp tubes breaking up, something solid state power amps aren't yet able to accurately emulate.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
oh i see i see, well could you recommend a cheaper tube head and a pedal? other wise ill probably just save for the valveking
Honestly the Valveking may be your best bet at the immediate moment. A Windsor and a Tubescreamer is not a bad budget combination. The new Bugera's have been giving lots of people good first impressions. To be perfectly honest, you're not going have many options if a Valveking is outside of the budget.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by music's music
yeah its high gain

okay so the peavey is a choice

There's been a few threads about SS vs Tube latley and it comes down to a personal choice, but I'd reccommend tube. Sounds better and gets louder.

Anyways, you should be able to find a used VK head for $300~, new ones retail for about $400 so they're not super-expensive.
Alright thanks guys, i have a few choices to try out now, any other suggestions are welcome though

thanks again
With a Windsor he wouldn't need an OD to play screamo.

But he'd want a clean channel, so Valveking it is.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

OK so I've decided on the valveking, now my question will it blow the speakers on my cab, my cab can handle 120 watts, but I hear everyone say tube amps are louder than solid state, so will a 100 watt tube amp blow up my 120 watt crate g412sl cabinet?
If you fully crank it there's a good possibility.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
If you fully crank it there's a good possibility.

I cant think of a situation you need to crank it ha
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
haha so i can gig with it without cranking itm sorry im completely new to tubes and have only played shows through a line 6 spider
Quote by music's music
haha so i can gig with it without cranking itm sorry im completely new to tubes and have only played shows through a line 6 spider

I generally can't turn my dial past 4 without drowning everything (drums included) out.
iv asked something similar in a differnt thread about as how tube amps are louder for the same wattage wheather they need to be matched to larger speaker cabs.

the answer i got was not, SS and Tube amps puch the speakers around the same amount per watt etc. The only reason tube amps are percieved to be lounder is to do with the saturated harmonics (which to me sound like something that could overdrive a speaker so...............
best signature ever
Go for a used 5150 head or if you really like SS get a Randall.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.