I really hesitated to post this, but I've done tons of research and need help with a decision.

Is time for me to buy a new bass. I got an Ibanez GSR200 a year ago, mainly to supplement my recordings, and am finding it lacking in many areas now that I'm progressing more. I'm currently playing through a G&L head and cab (see sig below) and will be for the foreseeable future. I may add another cab on, but no changes other than that.

I'm going for Geezer Butler's sound for the most part. I can accomplish this with the G&K, but it could be better. Also his floppy-finger style is kind of hard to accomplish on the GSR. This is my main concern for improvement. Playability. A good example of the style I want would be War Pigs.

Eventually I'd like a Rickenbacker 4003, but for now I've only got a maximum of about $500. Much less is extremely desirable because I've got a lot of other equipment I need. Maybe more if I wait a little bit. But this is an intermediate in my jump to the Rick. Because of the price limitation, I've been looking at various basses on Rondomusic and a few ebay stores. Some of the better Ibanez basses also interest me. I've considered some of the basses on this page http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars5.html . I like the idea of moving to a 5 string and even considered a 6, but I don't know if now is the time. Buying from Rondomusic doesn't concern me at all. They've got a very good reputation and I feel very comfortable with their return policy. I also think the Brice and Douglas basses are reputable enough that I don't mind not trying before buying. This actually will likely be this case no matter what. I'm backing off of Guitar Center because its so far and so expensive most of the time. There are two closer stores, but only one carries new basses and only a few are popular brands.

I like playing with flatwounds and I'm using Rotosounds right now. I'd like a certain degree of versatility in addition to the Geezer sound of course. I play a lot of Burton era Metallica and am always exploring new styles. I don't play much Nickelback, but I like their bass tone. Speed is important to me, so a lower action and maybe a thinner neck would be good. If I got a 5-string I wouldn't mind sacrificing the neck thickness.

Sorry for the long post, but I want something good for the money. Which is why I keep going back to Rondo. Like I said 500 is max, but I really would like it to be much much less because I need other things right now as well.

Thanks in advance.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Geezer used a Fender Jazz and it's got a decent go-anywhere sound. I don't know what your budget gets you over there, but I'd look at a second hand MIA standard or a Highway 1.
Ok. I had been looking at a jazz style a while back. I really like how they usually play. Anyone else? Will be bumping again later on
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Fender Jazz Bass. The versatility of that Bass is unbelievable.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
i got a schecter stiletto deluxe-5 on ebay for 400$ and it came with a cord and strap
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Quote by zorched
This is my main concern for improvement. Playability.

Quote by zorched
I don't mind not trying before buying. This actually will likely be this case no matter what.

That's a recipe for disaster right there. Only you can say whether it plays well.
Quote by smb
Geezer used a Fender Jazz and it's got a decent go-anywhere sound. I don't know what your budget gets you over there, but I'd look at a second hand MIA standard or a Highway 1.

Really? this is news to me. I always thought he used P-Basses: http://www.black-sabbath.com/personnel/butler.html
Thanks for the suggestions. I really like some of the nicer Schecters. They seem like a good value. and the looks are a plus as well. I've been checking ebay for a few different Jazz models and is seems like I could get a good deal. My biggest hesitation with them though is that non that I am seeing are active. I've really gotten used to it on my GSR and I think I would really miss it. Score a point for the Schecter and Douglas teams. I think the Fender's would be more the handling I'm wanting though. How are the necks on the Schecter Stilettos?
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic