I was selling my dinky and got offered a gibson les paul studio for it that was all modded but now that I look at the pics I'm starting to be a little worried that it might be a gibsun so heres some pics I need someone to confirm this or not. It probably isn't a copy but I thinl I'm getting a pretty good deal because it has new tuners a tp6 tailpiece and emg 85/81s in it but just want to get a second opinion

Yeah, thats real. 2 screw trussrod cover is usually the real thing. Fake ones almost always have 3 screws.
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
Hmm i cant tell, i think it looks real but i didn't know studios come in white..
/CENTER]
ok this is what you do. call up gibson customer service. give them the serial number back of the headstock, and they will tell you what color, model and even where is made just by searching up the numbers. if that dosen't convince you then you can sent these pictures to gibson at their emails and they can have experts take a look at it.
Thanks I just wanted to make sure I thought it was such a great deal last night setting the deal up I forgot to even check, I also found the ebay spotting fake les pauls article and it seems all legit. So I guess I got nothing to worry about,can't wait till I get it lol.
Last edited by 420 FREAK at Feb 7, 2008,
imo, that is a real gibson les paul studio, with couple mods ofcourse. i have done couple les paul deals though ebay and from the look of it you have nothing to worry about, and beside. fakes usually target the higher end ones. like the gibson customs and signature editions.
Last edited by kckyle at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by pl0x
i didn't know studios come in white..

they come in alpine white, like that one there, and classic (i think thats what its called) white. I have one in classic white, that one there seems to be real, inlays look just like mine, headstock looks good.
I highly doubt that its fake, although I'm pretty sure studios usually come in..red? i think. But it looks authentic to me. You could get the trader to record a video of himself playing it if your worried about it not sounding good or anything.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Ebay Help > asking a dog for help > The Pit

Quote by brady12345
dude, you have a camera, go kick some people in the nuts and run
Quote by pl0x
Hmm i cant tell, i think it looks real but i didn't know studios come in white..
They come in Alpine white, with gold hardware, and Classic white, with chrome or black (depends on the year made) hardware. The Alpine white ones might have been discontinued now though, I think. Both white ones have always been a bit rare though, since most people buy the (in my opinion very ugly) Wine Red one.

Anyway. That definitely looks real to me. The downside is, Studios are pretty crap guitars.
Also ask youself, why would someone make a fake of a studio? They are good guitars, but they could easily add a few perfections to it and make it a Standard or something. The studio is a nice guitar but they would make more money just to have something different written on the headstock.
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
Quote by bokuho
They come in Alpine white, with gold hardware, and Classic white, with chrome or black (depends on the year made) hardware. The Alpine white ones might have been discontinued now though, I think. Both white ones have always been a bit rare though, since most people buy the (in my opinion very ugly) Wine Red one.

Anyway. That definitely looks real to me. The downside is, Studios are pretty crap guitars.

I ****ing hate snobs.

Quote by bokuho

eh do you have to do this everytime a thread is related to studios?
I think the white ones are still being made at least musiciansfriend.com still carries them. I'm pretty sure it's not a fae though and that I have nothing to worry about and besides who would make a fake studio and then who would put $350 worth of upgrades for it lol. It even comes with the original pickups that I could probably sell for $100. I just got a little worried there I never usually get good deals like this. I know it's not a really great guitar but it's gotta be better than my bolt on epi.
real-the fake ones have the gibson logos horizontal, on the real ones they are slanted a little. and three screws in the truss cover is fake, this one has only 2 screws. make the deal!!!
Quote by kckyle
ok this is what you do. call up gibson customer service. give them the serial number back of the headstock, and they will tell you what color, model and even where is made just by searching up the numbers. if that dosen't convince you then you can sent these pictures to gibson at their emails and they can have experts take a look at it.

Smart counterfiters always do this though. I built a copy of a Les Paul Standard and I used the serial number and color of the one I already own.

Of course I didn't sell mine, but the numbers would check out.

The white Les Paul Studios are not rare and they still make them.
Last edited by IceTele at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by GNRjungle87
real-the fake ones have the gibson logos horizontal, on the real ones they are slanted a little. and three screws in the truss cover is fake, this one has only 2 screws. make the deal!!!

The deals complete were both sending them out tomorrow.
Quote by GNRjungle87

Not every fake out there is the same... I have a Les Paul imitation that has two truss rod screws.

Also, don't the alpine white ones have gold hardware? That seems to have silver.
Last edited by AngelOfHatred at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by AngelOfHatred
Not every fake out there is the same... I have a Les Paul imitation that has two truss rod screws.

I've had one with two screws on the truss rod cover.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
i guess the only way to find out is if you bring it to the shop and they do a inspection on it. i'm pretty sure there is a counterfiet fraud for ebay
i almost traded for that guitar, Guy was really nice and seemingly honest. I would love to see how it works out. How much did you get it for?
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Quote by AngelOfHatred

Also, don't the alpine white ones have gold hardware? That seems to have silver.

This is the classic white chrome hardware one another thing is it's 2005 and I think they started hollowing them in 2006 so it will probably be better than a newer one.
Quote by fuzzyDXMG
i almost traded for that guitar, Guy was really nice and seemingly honest. I would love to see how it works out. How much did you get it for?

Yeah the guy seems to be really nice and honest and I'm positive it's a real gibson now anyways. I'm trading him a dinky that I put together from parts that I was going to sell for $450-500 plus shipping so just the dinky and shipping and insurance will probably be about $60.
Quote by 420 FREAK
This is the classic white chrome hardware one another thing is it's 2005 and I think they started hollowing them in 2006 so it will probably be better than a newer one.

Oh, I thought the classic white had more of an aged/cream colour to it. Looks like the photos of Alpine Whites I've seen. But, I've never seen either in person.