So we are ready to record. For the moment, only Guitar, Bass and Vocals need to be recorded. However, drums will also need to be in the future. Here's the gear I am looking at-

>Guitar/Bass/Vocals/Drums (already purchased)

>Shure SM57 (guitar), SM58 (vocals), some kit for the drums.

>Behringer XENYX 1204 Mixer USB

>Computer (IBM Thinkpad R60)

>Reaper

I have a few questions-

1) I've heard that Bass sounds a lot better when 'directly' recorded directly in. Would I be able to plug the bass straight into a mixer like the one above, or would I need a preamp?

2) Are the Mics good choices?

3) I know that most people say a mixer is pointless and that an audio interface is better, but I am having trouble finding an interface with 4 mic inputs for a reasonable price (<$300). Are there any?

4) Are there any better mixers for the price? I heard upgrading to a firewire one is a good choice.

Thanks,
Josh
Keep in mind that with a mixer you will have the tracks mixed down into one stereo track so you won't be able to edit individual instruments.

And you could probably get away with using the SM57 for vox as well, as the SM58 is basically the same with a windshield. I think it has a slightly different bass response. If you only buy the SM57 you will have more money to spend on an interface.

One thing you could do is get a cheaper interface with only 1 or 2 inputs and record all the vocals guitar .etc separately, and just the use the mixer for drums which would need more mics. That way you would have things all on seperate tracks. You would also be able to plug the bass staright into an interface, although you could do that with a mixer to. They normally both come with onboard preamps.
A Sm58 is a Sm57 with a windscreen and a high end presence boost vs the midrange boost of the Sm57.
Quote by sam i am

One thing you could do is get a cheaper interface with only 1 or 2 inputs and record all the vocals guitar .etc separately, and just the use the mixer for drums which would need more mics. That way you would have things all on seperate tracks. You would also be able to plug the bass staright into an interface, although you could do that with a mixer to. They normally both come with onboard preamps.

Yeah, was going to do all but the drums separately anyway.
You will need a preamp to record the bass. The point of using the DI is so that you don't have any coloration from the speaker, cab, and mic (and potentially interface). Granted you might need to tweak the head's tone settings to make it sound the way you want in the recordings, but you can almost guarantee to get a high signal to noise ratio by recording the bass via DI.
Quote by les_paul_01
In Soviet Russia, song copyrights you!